I am going to buy a new bass soon, It's definitely going to be a Fender P-bass, as well. But, I not sure exactly what to do. And I really don't want to spend more than 800 bucks.

One though was to get a MIM P-bass and put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in it, and throw a BadAss II bridge on it. The other plus to this would be I would get a pickup for my Whamola. I've calculated this option to be about a hundred bucks cheaper. ANd I would have a little modding project, which is always fun.

The other thought was to save up a little more cash and just get a Highway One P-bass.

I am open to other suggestions, but I'm pretty set on getting a P-bass.
I vote for the standard P-bass and upgrading it. Then again, I'll nearly always prefer modding a lesser bass over a stock high-end bass.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
save up, its worth it

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I'd save for the highway 1.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
I say go for the modding. That can be fun, plus, if you really want it, how can you go wrong?

By the way, don't apply that to everyday situations. The same thing would not apply to genital herpes.
I'd get the Highway 1. Just a superior bass all over. You can save to swap out the odd bits and bobs later if you still want to.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Oct 23, 2007,
If you're only saving about $100 then I'd definitely go for the Highway 1 because it will always be a better bass no matter how much you mod the standard.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
So, I did a little more research and The Highway One and The MIM use the same wood for the body, neck and fretboard, alder, maple and rosewood respectively. The only diffrence seems to be the elctronics and the pick-up, which I am planning to replace anyways, and the Quality control. But if got a luthier to set it up for me I don't think the quality control is really an issue. So I am really considering just getting MIM and upgrading.

Is there a major oversight I'm making?
If you're willing to look used you could get a MIA P-bass. If buying used isn't something you feel comfortable doing then I would go the modding route.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
If you're willing to look used you could get a MIA P-bass. If buying used isn't something you feel comfortable doing then I would go the modding route.

I would go used but my favorite local shop doesn't have anything at the moment, and I hate my other local shop and I even refuse to even enter their store anymore.
I dont think the highway 1 is worth the extra money tbh.

Getting a Standard, stripping out all the electronics and resheilding and putting in new decent pots and wiring (this will cost you less than $10) and new pups and a new bridge is much more worth it.

Having things like the greasebucket tone control is pretty pointless when you could just install it yourself.

Quote by Fender.co.uk about the Greasebucket ToneCircuit
This replaces the standard wiring of a single polyester capacitor for the tone circuit, with two ceramic disk capacitors (.100uf and .02uf) with a 1/4-watt metal film resistor. The effect is that when rolled down, the tone pot reduces the high frequencies, but does not add bass.

Thats just 3 components you can get for about $1!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Captain Insano
I would go used but my favorite local shop doesn't have anything at the moment, and I hate my other local shop and I even refuse to even enter their store anymore.

Well you could always look on eBay, Craigslist, or the classifieds section on another bass website. There's a 1998 MIA P-bass on Talkbass for $700.

EDIT: If you do look on eBay make sure you check out the MIJ/CIJ basses. They're better quality then the MIM and aren't too much more.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Last edited by aixelsydevahi at Oct 26, 2007,
Alternatively, you can buy a Fender Japan, which have been credited for being extremely well crafted.
Quote by Skeletomania
Alternatively, you can buy a Fender Japan, which have been credited for being extremely well crafted.

Price and Specs?
Quote by IndianRockStar

But either way for sure the highway one.

In my opinion, it is better to get the more expensive one. Usually a more expensive bass is made a whole lot better. btw, I quoted indianrockstar because his/her picture is so awesome.
Quote by Captain Insano
the "Quality control".
But if got a luthier to set it up for me I don't think the quality control is really an issue. So I am really considering just getting MIM and upgrading.

Is there a major oversight I'm making?

go ask the luthier what would he recommend, first. he can change the set-up, maybe file the frets a little, but he can't change the build. the Hwy 1 already has the BAII bridge, and decent tuners.
i recommend you buy a used MIA P. if not, get the Hwy 1 P(MIA). add your favorite p-up, and your done. my 2 cents.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
go ask the luthier what would he recommend, first. he can change the set-up, maybe file the frets a little, but he can't change the build. the Hwy 1 already has the BAII bridge, and decent tuners.
i recommend you buy a used MIA P. if not, get the Hwy 1 P(MIA). add your favorite p-up, and your done. my 2 cents.

So I just IMed the luthier and he said that as long as there wasn't something terriblely wrong with the bass, setting it up shouldn't be an issue.

I would look used, but with a purchase like this I don't like buying things on a picture and paragraph that tells me how great plays over the internet and my local shop doesn't have anything right now.

And unfortunately, cost is an issue. The MIM P-bass with mods is looking to be about $650 and the Highway One is looking to be around $800, with out the mods and $875 with the Pup I want in there. And as 17 year old nearly 900 bucks is just too steep a price for me.
Quote by Captain Insano

And unfortunately, cost is an issue. The MIM P-bass with mods is looking to be about $650 and the Highway One is looking to be around $800, with out the mods and $875 with the Pup I want in there. And as 17 year old nearly 900 bucks is just too steep a price for me.

i feel your pain. for these same reasons, i bought a Peavey T-40 in 1979, but had i known, at the time, that another $200 would have bought an MIA Jazz. i would have saved, and waited. you could get the full blown MIM modified, for $650, and it's resale value is about $300. you could get a MIA modifed for $875, and it's resale would be around $700. it has been my experience that the MIA models play better, and sell for more, later down the road.
yeah, the fit and finish is gonna be better on the MIA, that said, I just bought a blemished MIM p bass standard, only because it happened to be white, cheap, and I happen to have a quarter pounder p-bass pickup already sitting around in a terrible bass that I just don't play. I spent a few bucks to get a cheap red tortoise pickguard and some decent pots and knobs, no strap locks or bridge yet. I'll post pics and tell everyone how it plays and sounds after it arrives next week and I make the changes.

Still, if you got it as your main bass, even if you're low on cash, I say save up and get the MIA one, it'll probably be noticably more playable.

Sorry to piggy back, but while we're talking about the Bad ass II, I wondered if anyone had experience filing his or her own grooves into it. Any kind of repairs/mods I love DIY, but I've really been concerned about this, especially creating barbs or making the slots too wide and having the strings slip around. Is it pretty easy to do? Will it be worth it to spend $15 on a hobby file kit instead of $65 at a local shop to have them do it? Hey, that can help the ts estimate cost, so it's relevent lol.
Quote by Captain Insano
Price and Specs?

Check out Ishibashi for the models they offer. You can order from them, and have it shipped to you all the way from japan. Alternatively, you can try Ikebe .The selection is immense, but the site is all in Japanese. You can still click on the pics to get some specs, and pricing.
Quote by Captain Insano
Uh...How much is 98,000 yen?

About 860 USD
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
About 860 USD

Crap.

And, Who ever suggested Fender Japan, the whole site being in Japanese and dealing with paymeny in Yen, not dealing with that BS.
Fender Deluxe Precision

/thread
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Captain Insano
Crap.

And, Who ever suggested Fender Japan, the whole site being in Japanese and dealing with paymeny in Yen, not dealing with that BS.

Many people have shopped from Ishibashi, and they have english translation on their site. The cheaper pricing below the larger price is the one without tax. Just drop an email to them, and they can help you. It is not like it is the first time someone bought from them from the states.

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ishibashi-music.com%2F&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2