Basically, my band consists(ed) of three people.

David: Guitar, Back-Up Vocals
Alex (Me): Bass, Lead Vocals
Moritz: Drums

David has yet to get guitar lessons, though he's been playing self taught for four years. We(Moritz and I)'ve been asking him to get lessons for over a year, and he still hasn't, although he's bought a 400$ and 600$ guitar in that time period. He's never had formal music theory/playing lessons, which he obviously needs to write music.

No matter, though. There's two things that I would like help with.

1.We've decided to tell him we no longer want him in our band, but don't know how to tell him without him getting angry.
2. Finding a second guitarist. Although guitarists grow on trees, we don't want someone who we can't get along with, and we're not exactly a big city.

Andy help would be greatly appreciated.
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
dude ur a bassist and a lead singer...u must be a tremondously large douchebag haha jkjk but just because the guy doesnt no music theory doesnt mean he cant write music i mean most of the greats didnt know that much theory..but you probably know the guy more than i do so to find a good guitarist just let your musical friends know you are looking for a guitarist and if your small town is like mine word will get around fast and people will start asking you if they can join.
Thanks for the post. I was almost sure no one would say anything. But about the douchebag thing... nice. I can take a burn once in a while. But just no I don't play pick. Haha.

But either way, what I was getting at is that he's just kind of lazy. And the part about the guitars really bugs me.

But thanks again, bro.

BEDBUGS
ya anytime and i can understand why the part about the guitars would bug you it bugs all of us. but for the other thing you wanted help with to kick him out of the band just be blunt and tell him hes a lazyass and then kick him out
well...there probably isnt much u can do that won;t piss him off. the most uninvolved thing you could do would be to find another guitarist 1st, and start jamming with him, without telling ur old guitarist....its a pretty lame thing to do, and it will piss him off the worst for the longest time...but he will eventually catch on. **OR** u can be straight up and tell him you and the drummer have been talking and decided its best for the band to find a new guitarist...he might be mad at 1st, or mebe not, but he wont stay mad forever (unless hes a complete douche....then it doesnt matter IMO)
Really? Is that how you would do it? I guess I forgot to mention, this guy has been a good friend of mine for years, and to tell him bluntly would be a little... (for lack of a better word) blunt.

BEDBUGS
aright i didnt notice that part sry man so here is what you do you tell him the band is breaking up and you blame it on the drummer (make sure the drummer knows you are doing this) and then wait a little while and when you do find another guitarist start jamming with him and call it a "side-project from your band that broke up" and then intrigrate the drummer and bam you have gotten rid of the weakest link
I don't know if I'd wanna keep it from him like that though... That seems a little unfriendly.

But I really appreciate the help.
Thanks.

BEDBUGS
well then....congratulations on being one of the only nice lead singers in the world
Quote by ratmblink123
Thanks for the post. I was almost sure no one would say anything. But about the douchebag thing... nice. I can take a burn once in a while. But just no I don't play pick. Haha.

But either way, what I was getting at is that he's just kind of lazy. And the part about the guitars really bugs me.

But thanks again, bro.

that's probably because you're used to it, being a bassist and all

Seriously though, if you really think you need a new guitarist, just tell your current guitarist that you want your band to be serious and not just some hang-out for friends. Tell him you like him as a person, but don't think he's commited enough as a bandmember.
Then say that he can still be in the band, as long as he gets lessons NOW. He can't really get mad at you if you approach it like that.
To RHCP, we tried telling him to get lessons NOW or he'd be out of the band. That was last summer. We're fed up. And thanks again to you, RHCP because I'm going to use your idea. Thanks to all you guys, and go ahead and make fun of bassists all you want. haha.

BEDBUGS
Haha, I actually play bass too and I think it's just as important as guitar
Anyways, good luck. Firing a band member is never easy
You sound like a tool. Who says anyone needs lessons?!

I agree. At least without a lot more info...

You still haven't said whether this guy still sucks out loud after several years of playing without lessons, you haven't said whether he's dependable, practices and learns the songs, whether he's improving at all, whether there are any other issues as far as getting along as a band, and so forth. We don't have enough info to know if this guy actually needs to be booted, or you're just sore because he hasn't gotten lessons, which shouldn't be absolutely necessary, unless he sucks out loud and is not trying to improve. Theory is not required to write songs either, some of the greatest songwriters around wouldn't know theory if you dropped it on their heads.

So what if he bought new guitars, I keep 8 of 'em onstage. Unless lack of money was being used as an excuse for not taking lessons, you have no right to be angry because he upgraded or added to his equipment, which helps the band sound better in the long run. If you use different tunings it's almost required. Who wants to sit there and wait while someone retunes, then retunes again to work on the next song?

Without more info, I'm not sure you're being fair about this. WHY does it bother you that he bought new guitars? WHY is it an issue that he hasn't taken lessons or theory? Is he already a good guitar player and improving? Is he, all else aside, a good enough guitar played for the band if you drop anything but ability? And improving? Or are you just upset because he isn't doing things the way YOU say to? That's what my father did for my entire life, I hated it. He treated me like crap for many years because I didn't listen to country, for no other reason than HE said listen to country - I despise country - and because I had guts enough to stand up to him and tell him I had the right to make up my own mind what I liked, he screamed "Not in MY house you don't". I told him no matter whose house I was in HE didn't decide what I liked...Are you doing the same?

More info either way...we don't know enough about the overall situation to advise you. If it does become necessary to replace the guy, be honest, tell him it's not working out, you think the band would benefit from bringing in another guitar player, it's just not working out. But don't be dishonest or rude about it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Oct 24, 2007,