The more I learn about this equipment the better i like it. So many tones to be found it will take a long, long time to sort. Although I don't care about several of models in this guitar. The ones that made it very worth while were the:

Guild F212 12 string
Danelectro 3021
Gibson J-200
Gibson ES-335
Rickenbacker 360
Gibson Les Paul standard
Stratocaster
and the neck position of the telecaster

Buck Owens to Metalica and everything inbetween. It may not do everything perfect, but it does most things really well. Those of you with Pods have some idea of the variety that can be had with this equipment. I love the 21st century!
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
im growing sick of my line 6.it seems like a lost cause compared to my friends studio. theres always gonna be something better... and more expensive. X(
Sure you have it setup right? I get some great tone out of this equipment. It sounds just like my friends mim strat. Not sure about some of the other models, never played an ES 335, but I like it on this thing. The fact you can go from an acoustic to an electric with the flick of a switch is great also. If your talking about a Pod make sure your mode select is set right and you connected to your amp bypassing the preamp or yeah you can certainly make it sound crappy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I have a variax 500, it sounds accurate enough, although with certain strings it can sound a bit plinky. its designed to use a certain type of d'addario strings, although on the line 6 forum they will tell you to get GHS boomers. i've put some on mine, and it sounds a lot more realistic, even though the 12-string models are a bit warbly.

Workbench is definitely worth it too, i've had a lot of fun making whacky tones with it, but its also good to find a nice unique tone that you can and will use
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I've still got the stock d'addario's on it. I do have GHS Boomer 9's on my Dean that are great, but i'll probably just stay with the stock strings for the variax. Have you run yours through a PA yet? Much better for the acoustic tones then any amp i've tried so far. i've got 2x10's on the PA and switch to a Vox with 2x8's for electric. I'm real happy with this thing.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I've still got the stock d'addario's on it. I do have GHS Boomer 9's on my Dean that are great, but i'll probably just stay with the stock strings for the variax. Have you run yours through a PA yet? Much better for the acoustic tones then any amp i've tried so far. i've got 2x10's on the PA and switch to a Vox with 2x8's for electric. I'm real happy with this thing.

How's the guitar as a guitar?

The electronics seem fine and I've heard many good things about them, but I've seen a few people buying Variax guitars, then removing the electronics and putting them in a different guitar.

So that's got me wondering, what are they like playability wise (like the neck profile and such)?
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by scott58

only at college, and it was a lot better. I find through my valvetronix it can sound a bit odd, it sounds really good through the pod XTLive, i know this because i've tried it
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Bonsaischaap: I've never tried any of the others, but the 700 is great. i like the 10" radius neck. Fit and finish is well done. Isn't a mark on it and it seems durable enough. Heard a few horror stories about the 300 and 600 and people i've talked to with the 500 can't believe they discontinued that over the 300/600 so I guess they are happy with those also. I think most transplants ar done from the 300 if the electronics are the same that would make the most sense, but i'm fine with the 700. Pretty sweet, I'd buy it again with no problem.

Blompcube: It's odd through my Vox also, but typical of most acoustics through a guitar amp. If you got the pod try the acoustic amp model with the les paul setting you'll be surprised at how close you can get to the metalica sandman beginning (nirvana too for that matter) with a few tweeks.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD