One of Fender's premium body colors, "Montego Black," is still a mystery to me. I read an Ebay description which was describing a Fender Montego Black guitar as a really dark, "gunmetal" gray (even though it looks dead-black in online photos), with gold flecks in it. I can deal with the dark gray, but not the gold flecks. Is this really what color Fender's 2007-series "Montego Black" is? Has Montego Black always been the same color treatment (dark gray with gold flecks), or has it ever been different, or been changed for this model year? Thanks!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I think it's the same black Jimi had at Monterey, you know depending on how the light hits the body it changes, kind of cool if you ask me.

- Black Am. Strat
- Gibson Standard SG
- Marshall JVM 410 100W
- Vox V847 Wah Pedal
- Ibanez Tubescreamer
- Roger Mayer Octavia Pedal
- Fender Frontman DSP 65W

That's about it.
Well, light-interference pigments would be awesome on a guitar, but I don't think the Montego Black uses a color-shifting paint, does it? If not, someone should!
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Quote by LEVEL4
Well, light-interference pigments would be awesome on a guitar, but I don't think the Montego Black uses a color-shifting paint, does it? If not, someone should!

Ibanez uses that on the Xiphos model, I'm sure there are other manufacturers that use it as well.
Quote by kyrreca
Ibanez uses that on the Xiphos model, I'm sure there are other manufacturers that use it as well.

I think some of the more expensive finishes from Musicman do that too, especially on the Petrucci signature model.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
No one here actually owns a Montego Black Fender anything? Don't know if I'll have time to run around and try to find a Montego Black guitar anywhere in person before I can kill this GAS attack, and order the chrome silver online instead.

i got a black fender strat but i never heard it described as montego black. its just black.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by MrCarrot
Ehh pretty sure it's just black.
This guy on Ebay described it very carefully: he said that his "Montego Black" Fender is actually, "dark, dark, gunmetal gray with gold flecks in it." I really don't want any gold tones in my new Strat. In a perfect world, my dream Strat would just be an all-black (including pick-ups and pickguard) and silver-hardware guitar, and the gold flecks would look ultra-lame, and ruin the overall cosmetics, IMO.

Quote by dr_john
i got a black fender strat but i never heard it described as montego black. its just black.
Yes, Fender "Black" (000-0000-706) is black. It has a different SKU than "Montego Black" (000-0000-764) Strats have. Montego Black guitars generally come with gold pickguards, so I'm pretty resigned to believe that those gold flecks are real . . . Just goes to prove, "You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes . . . you get a Mexican Strat instead!" All I wanted was a pure-black, HSS-configured Strat with black trim, a Maple fretboard, and a locking tremolo. I know, I'm asking for the world!

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 24, 2007,
Ahh that'd make sense. Metallic Black.

I know what you mean - I like the idea of an aged maple neck, black body Strat with 1ply white pickguard and cream hardware, much like Blackie
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Strattocaster-USA-Deluxe-2006-Montego-Black_W0QQitemZ170161781707QQihZ007QQcategoryZ47069QQcmdZViewItem

i dont know if this is the guitar youre looking at or not but if you look at the pictures you can somewhat see what it looks like i dont know if this is what it would actually look like or not.
Alter bridge Rocks Club member #35 PM Logz to join

Quote by Powerhouse
I took a dump in the back of a movie theater once.
No, it's a different guitar than the one I was looking at, but that is Montego Black too. Thanks for posting that. That looks real funny to me now (at least in those pictures). And yes, those pictures do show the guitar's color better. Notice the difference in hue between the body and the pickguard? I think I'm gonna go with the chrome silver.

That looks awesome! when does the color go into production? I was wanting a Std. Strat.
"Montego Black" is a color Fender only offers on their premium guitars (American, American Deluxe, etc.), not the Standards. The only "black" Standards come in, is a true black (color SKU: '706' for Strats). Both are current, 2007-series colors.

I finally found a used Montego Black Fender American HSS Strat. It's a "light" black, with tiny flecks of gold all over it. Not for me.