I have 1500 US dollers to spend on new gear. I Currently own an Epiphone LP Junior which is modded with a gibson dirty fingers and grover tuners. Its ok for Punk and Hard rock...but nothing special. My amp is a peice of **** Marshall AVT20...worst 110 bucks spent ever...big piece of ****. Last Mid level Marshall ill ever buy.

Ok ive moved away from the whole powerchord driven alternative and punk scene. My love is quickly becoming Blues, Blues Rock, and hard rock. Think..John Mayer...SRV...BB King...Jimi...RHCP...anything slash.

I cant decide!!!! Heres what it comes down to.

AMP

Fender Blues Jr
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Blues Deluxe

Guitar

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany ($759)
Fender MIM fat strat w/ a pearly gates HB
or w/ SD SH-4 ($500)
Fender MIM strat ($399)

Dont know what combination i should get....I really love John Mayers Tone (here comes the flaming HAHAHA)...Help me achieve my tone please. Also im not currently in a band so most of my playing will take place in house. Any other suggestions...fell free.
Last edited by Lpjunior*218* at Oct 24, 2007,
Hmmmm, in you situation i would just buy a decent mid level guitar and mod it. id go with a HH configuration guitar and switch the pu's to what you like and then mod it so you can coil split to get both humbucker and single coil sound. As far as amps........cant help you there
why not just get two guitars? Blues Jr amp, Fender MIM Strat SSS, and an Epiphone Les Paul Classic w/ Quilt top.

right under $1500, brilliant rig for what you want to play.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
are you planning on gigging? none of the amps you mentioned are going to do hard rock or slash. consider an orange tiny terror + a little 1x12 or 2x12 cab, and then spend the rest on a deluxe players strat? or perhaps an ssh or hh setup?
you guys all make very valid points. I like the idea of a Deluxe Strat. Does the tiny terror have a good tone for blues? thats my main sqeeze right now. 62' strat is gonna be too expensive i think. Maybe ill buy a Blues jr. and a both The Gibby LP Vintage and Fender MIM Fat Strat. What do you guys think?
well the 62 is like 1200, and youll have enough left for some good pedals to pimp your ****ty amp.
^no. great pedals won't make a ****ty amp sound amazing. a great guitar and great pedals through a ****ty amp will still sound like poop.

ts, try all of the aforementioned amps, and more, out for yourself and see which you like. the tiny terror has an amazing blues tone. the blues jr, and blues deluxe, are both great amps, as is the hot rod, but won't get you hard rock. even the tt you might find yourself needing an od to push it a bit more. check out some palominos, too, if you get the chance. the most important part of your rig is your amp. that's where 80% of your tone comes from. i've known what it was like to go from ****ty amp to slightly better to slightly better...upgrading is time-consuming and expensive, though you gain an ear for tone. sell your avt and perhaps your epi (unless you want to keep it), try out a ton of amps, and go with what you feel sounds best.

have fun!
Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany (750)
Fender Blues Junior Guitar Amp (450) (if you go in store you can get one for $350)
Celestion G12M-25 Greenback 12" Speaker 8 ohm (100)
Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n Overdrive Pedal (190)

this rig would be perfect for what you said.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
ew no not a greenback in a blues jr. more of a tweed voiced speaker.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
You guys do realize he wants a John Mayer tone? That would mean he would want to get a strat. I reccomend a Classic Players 60's Strat. It plays and sounds amazing to me. For an amp, you could go with a blues junior or maybe a Peavey Classic 30.
Quote by climhazzard
^no. great pedals won't make a ****ty amp sound amazing. a great guitar and great pedals through a ****ty amp will still sound like poop.

ts, try all of the aforementioned amps, and more, out for yourself and see which you like. the tiny terror has an amazing blues tone. the blues jr, and blues deluxe, are both great amps, as is the hot rod, but won't get you hard rock. even the tt you might find yourself needing an od to push it a bit more. check out some palominos, too, if you get the chance. the most important part of your rig is your amp. that's where 80% of your tone comes from. i've known what it was like to go from ****ty amp to slightly better to slightly better...upgrading is time-consuming and expensive, though you gain an ear for tone. sell your avt and perhaps your epi (unless you want to keep it), try out a ton of amps, and go with what you feel sounds best.

have fun!

Well said!

Also, +1 to the Orange TT. Great blues tone capability.
Try out lots of amps. As loud as possible.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I don't mean to hijack, but PM me if you end up wanteing to sell the LP Junior.

I like the idea of a Blues Jr. with an LP and a strat. Mabye an OD in there too, like a BBE Green Screamer.
Thanks a lot to all of you. Great advice from all. Yes i am searching for a mayerish type of tone...but only as a starting point. Im gonna take a trip to the local guitar center so i can try out the different amps & Strats /Les Pauls.

Thanks!!!
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I don't mean to hijack, but PM me if you end up wanteing to sell the LP Junior.

I like the idea of a Blues Jr. with an LP and a strat. Mabye an OD in there too, like a BBE Green Screamer.

actually, BJ gets really impressive amount of overdrive from it's own. especially paired up with a high output ceramic pickups on an Epi Les Paul classic quilt top model.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Used Mesa Lonestar or Subway Blues. Those might break the bank a bit, causing you to save up more for a guitar...

Any made in america strat would be a good choice. You could always buy a MIM strat and buy a warmoth neck, new pickups and it makes a great playin guitar as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^remember, he wants to play some "anything slash", and BB King.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^remember, he wants to play some "anything slash", and BB King.

A lonestar paired with an OD pedal will get just beyond an AC/DC level of distortion. The price would be my biggest concern with that amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i wasn't saying about the lonestar. i dunno if he can have fun playing slash/bb king with a single coil strat. i'd love an LP or any humbucker equipped guitar for it. humbucker in the neck position.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
highway one strat w/ 67 pu's then spend the other 800 on a reissue bassmann a tweed hot rod deville or getta ceriatone (plexi clone) if your into building your own stuff make a 36 watter