I'm looking for a new guitar, not sure what i want so my mind is open. My limit is $800 Australian dollars (i know its not much). I mainly play metal but once every now and again i play some rock and blues. Iv been playing for 2 years now and i would classify myself as intermediate.
That's $718 USD for those of you playing at home. That's a decent amount of cash to spend on one axe. It really depends on what you like. With the right preamp, effects, amp, cabinet, you can get any sound you want. I like Strats. If you like Strats, then you could get a Fender Highway One (HSS configuration) for $750 USD, or a Standard Fender HSS (made in Mexico) for only $400 USD. I think the Mexican Strats are fine, as long as you throw a $100 USD after-market tremolo on there (e.g., Gotoh).

You could also get a Gibson Les Paul Jr. or Melody Maker reissue in an HH-configuration (I really like Melody Makers). Throw a $100 USD after-market bridge on there, and you're good to go. But that's just what I like. If you want to go outside the Fender/Gibson nameplates, the world is full of great metal guitars for $700 or less. Others are sure to chime in here.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Prices over here are significantly higher you have to remember LEVEL4.

Maybe try an Ibanez RG or an Ibanez S series?

For rock/blues type stuff maybe a solid body les paul or something similiar like a Gretsch (ive got one 4 sale)

A strat would serve ya good I think however. Cheers
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Metal_Injection
Prices over here are significantly higher you have to remember LEVEL4.
Oh, duh, you're right. Stupid me. By about how much—30% higher than US MAP? Well, I love Strats. The Yamaha Pacificas are supposed to actually be pretty good for a budget, Strat-like guitar, and maybe the prices aren't so stupid for a Japanese brand there. But, again, I love HSS-configuration, Strat-like axes for metal. Just get the right metal preamp/amp, and you're good to go. But there's also certainly a lot to choose from at the Ibanez rack for metal.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I was looking at the Ibanez rg models but i don't really want the edge 3 bridge cause iv heard its pretty crap. I was looking towards Jackson and LTD but i guess they are a bit expensive. To give you an example in the price difference, a LTD EC-400 goes for about 450 USD in US and in Australia its around 1399 AUS
Yeah prices in Australia are damn high. The ****est Ibanez GRG costs $400, a RG Prestige 1570 goes for about $1500 thats what im getting. Just to give u an idea of prices.
Quote by ereaper
I was looking at the Ibanez rg models but i don't really want the edge 3 bridge cause iv heard its pretty crap. I was looking towards Jackson and LTD but i guess they are a bit expensive. To give you an example in the price difference, a LTD EC-400 goes for about 450 USD in US and in Australia its around 1399 AUS
Holy crap! That's OBSCENE! Are you saying that the same guitar in Oz sells for 300% the price that it sells for in the US?

Quote by LEVEL4
Holy crap! That's OBSCENE! Are you saying that the same guitar in Oz sells for 300% the price that it sells for in the US?

The US is incredibly cheap when it comes to guitar, compared to pretty much any other country (partially due to the low dollar).

Also, the person suggesting a Fat Strat: that would make a very nice guitar, but like I say in every one of these threads, just make sure to try them out first.

Also, something like this is nice and sort of within your buget:

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/ibanez/eg_page_200705d5.html

Slightly over budget:

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/ibanez/eg_page_2007ee00.html
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 24, 2007,
Take look at a Jackson Dk2. the Duncan pickups are extremely versatile on it, and it can do all genres pretty well.
Sorry guys i should of mentioned that i want 2 humbuckers, dont mind if its got a single coil just as long as it has 2 humbuckers and also i either want string through, tunomatic style, or floyd rose bridge.
Quote by samlocke14
the headstock on the washburn is ****ing ugly
kudos to whoever suggested an ibanez S series, friggin great guitars

I actually quite like it.

Anyway, the S320, the cheapest from the S series is about 1019 and thus over budget.

With this budget, cheap Floyd Rose bridges can be a pain in the ass, so go for a hardtail or a guitar with an OFR/high quality LFR.

The S does have a nice bridge, but like I mentioned before, it's too expensive. If you want a double locking tremolo, I suggest looking for a used Ibanez RG5xx or above. These guitars are probably among the best in your price range if you can find one.
You can get the sz320 for $845 and the sz720 for $1,099. And i agree that the Washburn headstock does look quite crap.
Quote by ereaper
You can get the sz320 for $845 and the sz720 for $1,099. And i agree that the Washburn headstock does look quite crap.

The SZ would make a good choice for the styles you listed and the value for money on those is excellent.