Hi people,

I am new to the ultimate guitar and i am not English so please bear with my poor english.

I have been noticing in live performances from such artists like Damien Rice, John Frusciante that they look like they are forming a barre chord but they don't use the index finger to barre, using instead the thumb. The example i considered most for this thread is the acoustic performance that John Frusciante and Anthony are doing where he uses a great technique but i can't seem to get most of the things he is doing.

Am i looking at this correctly? What are like the benefits of using this technique rather than plain old barre chords with the index finger? Should i consider learning the two different techniques?
using the thumb for the low E string is great, hendrix was the first person to really do it i think, lots of his music is hard/can't be played without doing it.

it's useful because it free's up your other fingers to add little riffs to your chord, the normal way of playing a barre chord is so cumbersome.
you are indeed looking at it correctly. Some people barre with their index finger and some reach over the top with their thumb. I can't think of any benefits or disadvantages to the technique, I think it's just whatever is more comfortable to you. Hendrix played barre chords in this manner too. I'd say learn it both ways, versatility won't hurt you.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by thiagosantos
Hi people,

I am new to the ultimate guitar and i am not English so please bear with my poor english.

"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Quote by thiagosantos
Hi people,

A bear! run

Your english is pretty good tbh :P

anyways, on topic then. Keep in mind that each of these guitarists is probably alot more experienced than you are. Picking up these techniques takes time and effort. Lots of practice will get you anywhere.
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you
bare

on topic: yeah people do use their thumb but since i took up classical first i was taught to rest my thumb on the back of the neck, and playing with your thumb like that is uncomfortable for me personally.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Last edited by Sol9989 at Oct 24, 2007,
well the thing is i am pretty comfortable with barre chords with the index finger and can do it nice and smoothly but i do want to improve and perhaps learning this other technique could help me also. It seems to me that it makes it easier for Frusciante to make the effects he does on Under the Bridge in this matter rather than using the index finger. With time i am sure i will get it. Thanks for the feedback
Well the only problem with the thumb is it can limit your ability to move up and down the neck as quickly if you use it... But the advantages are numerous, so it is good to learn both and apply each way depending on the situation...
Quote by anexplodingboy
So, how would you spell "bear" in that particular instance?

no it's just, you know, a bear.

bears are dangerous

one must run when chased
Quote by hippie_cune
Stukart, you're the most awesome human being I have ever met. I love you