Hello fellow guitarists. as u can see in the title, i want to know the difference between humbucking pickups and single coil pickups sooo pls reply as i would be very greatful
One thing I know personally, humbuckers are much more suitable for metal or just heavy playing when compared to single coil pickups.
Straight from wiki:

Because of their natural inductive qualities, all magnetic pickups tend to pick up ambient and usually unwanted electromagnetic noises. The resulting noise, the so-called "hum", is particularly strong with single-coil pickups. The most frequent cause is the strong 50 or 60 Hz component that is inherent in the frequency generation of current within the local power transmission system. As nearly all amplifiers and audio equipment associated with electrical guitars relies on this power, there is in theory little chance of completely eliminating the introduction of unwanted hum. Indeed, all sorts of electric appliances produce this kind of interference, and it is not uncommon to be able to alter the amount of hum the guitar produces by the musician's moving, for example, a few feet to the right or left.

Double-coil or "humbucker" pickups were invented as a way to reduce or counter the unwanted ambient hum sounds. Humbuckers (so called-because they are thought to "buck" or negate the hum of single-coils) have two coils of opposite magnetic polarity. This means that electromagnetic noise hitting both coils should, again in theory, simultaneously cancel itself out. In addition to their being much less susceptible to ambient noise, a humbucker pickup's two coils are wired in phase, so the signal picked up by each coil is added together. This creates the richer, "fatter" tone associated with humbucking pickups. To some extent, of course, this same effect can be achieved on guitars such as Fender's Stratocaster if two of the single-coil pickups are switched to active at the same time to cancel the hum
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
To cut the guy above mine's story shot.

Humbukers sound more heavy

and Single Coil pick-up sound are thin if you know what i mean.

Ib.
Quote by forwhomthebells
To cut the guy above mine's story shot.

Humbukers sound more heavy

and Single Coil pick-up sound are thin if you know what i mean.

Ib.

Yeah but that difference originates from the pickup design itself, hence the two massi paragraphs I posted.
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
to hear the difference- go try a strat and/or telecaster, and then go try a les paul.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You'll probably notice the biggest difference on cleans, or atleast I do. I tend to prefer the cleans of single-coils to humbuckers, becuase of their brightness.

Warm distortion = Sexy
Warm Cleans - No go

(^ My personal opinions on those)
Humbuckers, due to the nature of the coils being wired together, are much stronger, with less mids than single coils, which accentuates the highs and lows. They also have (as one would expect) more output, and are louder than single coils meaning they hit your amp harder, pushing it into overdrive much earlier.