I want to play something along the lines of indie rock (Nothing heavy, but not soft rock) and I was wondering what types of chords or techniques I should learn.
Listen to Arctic Monkeys, they cover everything indie

Powerchords are the main, as with most genres... its the tone of the guitars that make em different
learn the chords that just use the highest three strings, used heaps in reggae and ska, arctic monkeys also use them a fair bit.

n throw out your scales just work **** off by ear riff wise.. if ur soloing use wotever fits. avoid too many hammerons n pull offs course soon you'll find your loosing the indie flavour.

just keep it simple basically.
Goo Goo G'Joob
Lots of crispy barre chords as well.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Indie is not a specific genre. It's any music played by independent musicians who like the music they make. So learn whatever things you like to play and whatever sounds good to you.
Think Libertines; odd chords, sound frantic, keep speed up, make the guitars jangle.

I actually despise most indie with a passion because the UK is full of unoriginal, copycat stuff, but that's what I've picked up. On the other hand, there are many, many other ways of playing indie than the way the Libertines did, do whatever sounds good.
Quote by Cheesepuff
Indie is not a specific genre. It's any music played by independent musicians who like the music they make. So learn whatever things you like to play and whatever sounds good to you.

Well, that's what it's supposed to mean. However, you can pretty much define indie rock. It's the same thing with pop (pop is anything that's popular, and by that definition, something like SOAD is pop). Words lose their meanings sometimes.
you don't LEARN indie.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
this thread has some horrific responses.

its pretty impossible to 'learn' to play indie rock as some little genre, because its too wide. i mean, you could do something like www.myspace.com/mapsandatlases which is indie rock but also incredibly technical and mathy. or you could be playing simple three chord stuff, yknow? dont think about techniques. just... play. the best advice is always just to do two things

a) play things. just play and find what sounds nice to you.

b) learn songs by bands you like. you'll pick up ideas from them.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Cheesepuff

I'm well aware of that... In fact I actually hate most indie rock it's become so generic. (Kaiser Chiefs and Arctic Monkeys being guilty of this IMO)

But I'm trying to go for a more creative sound, that's still indie rock (Like Bloc Party)

Thanks for the replies.
Learn your barre chords very well. Play along with songs you like/want to emulate, the style will probably rub off. And do learn scales it'll improve your riff writing abilities.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Just to set things straight..........the indie in indie rock stands for industrial..............not independent.......................
Quote by SG5533
Just to set things straight..........the indie in indie rock stands for industrial..............not independent.......................

uhhhh no.
it stands for independent.
because all the original indie bands were signed onto independent labels, eg the smiths.
Quote by SG5533

you just failed at everything ever. massively.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.