Anyways, I just recently bought an Ibanez RG3EX1, and it was perfectly fine, but recently the knob came loose and now wobbles around alot, consequently my bridge pickup puts out nothing but white noise. I hear I'm supposed to just pop off the knob and it comes off really easily, but I gave it a good hard tug and nothing happened, and I'm afraid to break the thing. Is there some sort of bond holding it or do I just try harder?
there shouldn't be any bond or glue, but some knobs have a screw on the side that lock it on. if it doesnt have one you should just be able to pull it off, but if you cant, take it somewhere and have it looked at.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Quote by doctor woot
Anyways, I just recently bought an Ibanez RG3EX1, and it was perfectly fine, but recently the knob came loose and now wobbles around alot, consequently my bridge pickup puts out nothing but white noise. I hear I'm supposed to just pop off the knob and it comes off really easily, but I gave it a good hard tug and nothing happened, and I'm afraid to break the thing. Is there some sort of bond holding it or do I just try harder?

Try wrapping a T-shirt or something like that around it and then pulling it up that way.

Also, as said above, check for a small screw first. If it's not there, pull.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 24, 2007,
wedging a plectrum under and pulling up works well too, or a screwdriver or something.

if it's loose it means the nut holding it against the body is loose, that's an easy fix. if it isn't doing it's job then the wire has snapped, probably due to you turning the pot constantly instead of just the knob (due to the loose nut)
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
wedging a plectrum under and pulling up works well too, or a screwdriver or something.

if it's loose it means the nut holding it against the body is loose, that's an easy fix. if it isn't doing it's job then the wire has snapped, probably due to you turning the pot constantly instead of just the knob (due to the loose nut)

Yeah, I was making sure not to mess with that, but my cousin DID reach inside the guitar and I guess wobbled some stuff around, but I'm hoping that he didn't do anything too drastic. And I was looking on the knob, doesn't seem to be any screw, I'll try these things out, thanks for the advice
Cheaper RGs don't have set screws on knobs, so it's safe to pull it off.

However, if your bridge pickup puts out nothing but noise, I'd be looking at the switch, not the knobs. What kind of noise? Do you hear any notes you play at the bridge? Does the noise only happen when you switch to bridge, or with bridge/neck combined as well?
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I'm pretty sure it's the knob, because I pushed it up a slight bit once and it sounded fine for a few seconds, but maybe 5 seconds after i let go it went silent again. If I fix it and the problem persist, i'll try looking for the problem elsewhere
Quote by doctor woot
I'm pretty sure it's the knob, because I pushed it up a slight bit once and it sounded fine for a few seconds, but maybe 5 seconds after i let go it went silent again. If I fix it and the problem persist, i'll try looking for the problem elsewhere

You could also replace the knob. It's not expensive, nor hard and it will save you all the problems associated with cheaper knobs.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
AWESOME! I just tried the whole pick/shirt thing, and with some effort it came off, thank you guys soo much.

And to Bonsalschaap, if it happens again I'll try your advice