Hi, what would you recommend for a good quality practice amp not costing too much. I've only got a pretty bad cheapo starter amp and would like an upgrade to practice that doesn't have to be loud (ill buy a gigging amp when needed) and would work well for blues rock, hair metal, hard rock, some heavier stuff. I'm thinking GNR, Led Zep, Crue, Sabbath etc. kinda stuff. As I said I'm only interested in sound quality rather than loudness. My budget is absolute max £200 though I would prefer to spend less.
vox valvetronix, less watts the better
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
my first amp was a peavey backstage 30 W its pretty good, loud enough with built in distortion, which is not the best but better than none
yeh I've got this amp http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Electric-ST-guitar-pack-with-15W-Amp-DVD-S-B_W0QQitemZ120174723943QQihZ002QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and its obviously not great. I need a new guitar so i dont want to spend much on an amp but probably could do with a better one. Thia ones not too bad and would last me untill I need a gigging amp if it had to....
if you are willing to go to £200, laney vc15 or peavey windsor studio would probably be worth considering (i haven't tried the studio, it's out in january, but the head is good).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Your best sound will be a tube combo. Don't know what is available to you, but check out the Epi Valve Junior and cab, Fender Champion 600, Peavey Valveking Royal 8 and my personal favorite the Crate Palomino V8. All $200 USD. You will need a pedal for metal distortion. These are all 5 watt but surprisingly loud. For solid state look into the Peavey Transtube series, best and most tube-like sound, more distortion, very rugged.
VC15
^If he can actually get the crate here it'd be no where near in his budget I think. £200 GBP

Besides, the VC kills anything in the Valveking range.
Didn't see the recommendations about the Laney. Since I know nothing about them I'll have to take your word for it.
If you want a decent amp for not a lot of money I'd go for a Line-6

They don't get as much credit as they should. They do make quality amps.

And the pedalboard that goes with it is freaking insane
the valveking royal 8 is actually quite nice for half the price of the vc15... though the lc15 isn't much more (haven't tried it though).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by borntoboard321

sometimes i think people do this to try and be funny.

ignore him
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by borntoboard321

Line 6:

High end stuff and single effects: Good.
Low end stuff: Bad.
Quote by stephen_rettie
lc15 laney tubes and cheap

The best recommendation in this thread.

It'll cover you needs now, and supply enough power for band practice and small gigs when the time arrives. This way you won't be scurrying to buy another new amp then!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Serious? It would cover a small gig? (how small?!) If it would be good for a big enough gig to get a good sound (would it be need to be boosted a lot on the PA?) then im soo looking/saving for one!
yes but if you want to play clean it'l have to be a very quiet or else a very small gig
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^, ^^ What they said.

You won't have pristine cleans at gigging volumes, but you could probably do any gig with the amp if you mic it up to a PA. People here claim they gig with 5W valve amps. That's too small for my taste, but 15W will do fine.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
For a 15w amp on a budget, might want to look at the Epiphone Valve Standard. Basically, it's a 15w version of the Valve Junior, with a three band EQ and (although I use pedals) a few digital effects. Like most people said, if you gig, you can easily mic it up. You can also plug it into a multispeaker cab if you desire a "fuller" sound from it. Best thing about it is it's about $300USD, which I'm pretty sure falls under your budget.

Also I think they might go under a different brand name locally for you.... something-Benton maybe? I'm sure someone else might know.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
im afraid Epiphone valve standards don't have enough gain to cover his hair metal/hard rock needs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
im afraid Epiphone valve standards don't have enough gain to cover his hair metal/hard rock needs.

Hard rock, it should be able to fill quite nicely.

Hair/heavy metal though, definitely need an overdrive/distortion pedal. But that's why I mentioned the amp. It's very inexpensive for what you get, and you can easily afford a pedal on top of it.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."