Page 1 of 3
Well since hearing the new album Blackbird and seein Alter Bridge live i must say Mark def should be mentioned on this Shred Forum..

I'm a big fan of guitar extremists like Baito, Petrucci, Cooley, Becker, Gilbert, and so many more and lets just hope one day Mark makes a solo record..

I suggest u go buy the new album Blaclbird and if u dont have it yet go to alterbridge.com and listen to the solo in Brand New Start that is a face melter and enough to be mentioned on here.........
The most talented man on earth...
But he's not a dedicated shredder...he's a hard rock guitarist that can shred it up when he wants...there's a huge MT/AB/Creed thread somewhere already...

I love Mark but he's already got a huge thread in the part of the forum that his band would fall under, genre-wise.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
i know dude i own the new cd an got a dvd with it, an those dudes really know what they're doing when it comes to writing songs. Mark dont really strike me as a solo kind of guy an really wouldnt want him to. but hes great with alter bridge
"Blade, ready to die?" "I was born ready mother F*****"
i'd rather have him called a great guitarist than being called a shredder,shred isnt the top level in guitar playing,it is one of the tools that a player should add to his arsenal

in my opinion,mark is a great guitarist who can shred away when it serves its purpose,which is better than being too much of a pointless wanker!
Mark Termonti didn't impress me before, and he doesn't impress me now. That piece Ahavo Ravo Tack Salad lacks any form and seems to have very little to say to the listener.
Blackbird is an incredible music journey and evolution of rock music, and one of the best guitar albums to date
Quote by Erc
Mark Termonti didn't impress me before, and he doesn't impress me now. That piece Ahavo Ravo Tack Salad lacks any form and seems to have very little to say to the listener.

It's not supposed to say anything; he wrote it as an exhibiton piece for Total Guitar magazine basically just to say: "yeah I was in creed...but I can shred too, watch!" I like it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by overtone
Agreed. It has one of the best musical and lyrical flows of a non-prog album that I've ever heard. And the song Blackbird is an amazing centerpiece to the whole journey; I'm telling you, just the song order was very skillfully done on this cd.

SeriouslY??? I think the album seems totally ill-concieved, Tremontis playing seems to have gotten worse, and the lyrics I found truly awful. Im not the biggest Tremonti/Alter Bridge fan in the world anyway, but Id take One Day Remains over Blackbird any day.
Thank God im an atheist
I hear Mark is releasing an instructional DVD, anyone looking forward to it?
Quote by DeadIdentity81
I hear Mark is releasing an instructional DVD, anyone looking forward to it?

Not really, he's not exactly the worlds best teacher and his tone has way too much delay in it. If he turns the delay off then maybe.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not really, he's not exactly the worlds best teacher and his tone has way too much delay in it. If he turns the delay off then maybe.

his live tone is amazing....
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

He recently did amazingly clean lessons for Total Guitar.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
What one person thinks sounds bad, another person might think sounds great. I love his tone especially live, IMO the best out there...
1. I'll never forgive him for being in Creed.

2. I have Blackbird, and while it is a solid record with some good tunes (especially 'Ties That Bind' and the title track) it is in NO way a shred record.
^He means that Alter Bridge don't do 'shred', they do modern radio rock with occasional "shred" solos.
so? Randy Roads is considered a shredder...

just because Trementi played in a popgroup and now a 'modern radio rockband' doesn't make him less of a shredder.
But it does mean that his music, with the exception of Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad, isn't shred. To take your theme, EVH is also considered a shredder, but would you call 'Panama' a shred piece? Or 'Jamie's Cryin'?' I wouldn't. Eruption and Spanish fly, though (or, in the case of Rhoads, the post-'Suicide Solution' solo bit, or 'Dee') are shred pieces.
I think I've been through this. Shred is an adjective that describes an era. To say a guy is shreddin' or can shred means he can play guitar good in the 80's. It's not a genre, it's not about how fast you play. Warren DeMartini, EVH, RR, etc are shredders.
Quote by flamencogod
well if that is the case van halen (with the exeption of eruption, spanish fly, etc) isn't shred music too.

Exactly.
oh alright, to bad shred doesn't have a clear definition, it would make life so much easier.

Anyway, I'm not that great of a fan of Mark Tremonti, but his PG-worshipping is cool.
Quote by flamencogod
oh alright, to bad shred doesn't have a clear definition, it would make life so much easier.

Anyway, I'm not that great of a fan of Mark Tremonti, but his PG-worshipping is cool.

Ditto. I don't care for Tremonti at all, but the fact he likes PG is cool.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Who does not like PG really?

Oh, and Mark's new lessons in TG are almost as bland and uninspiring as Herman Ri's...
Thank God im an atheist
^ But listen to Tremonti's solos compared to Hermans. Herman wishes he could write anything near what Tremonti does. Dont get me wrong i think Herman Li is a great studio musician but seeing him live makes me not like the man that much more. The TG lesson was sick imo...
To be honest, I find Tremonti's solos to be uninvolving, wah-soaked, pentatonic dog turds.

I prefer his work in Creed, where at least he stayed within his boundaries. I've no idea why he's decided to try and branch out into territory that he realy doesn't have the chops for. His picking is dull and lacks any real dynamics, his legato is mediocre and sweeping is simply laughable.

His lessons all seem to be shameless amalgamations of Speed Kills and Intense Rock.
Thank God im an atheist
Quote by wil
To be honest, I find Tremonti's solos to be uninvolving, wah-soaked, pentatonic dog turds.

I prefer his work in Creed, where at least he stayed within his boundaries. I've no idea why he's decided to try and branch out into territory that he realy doesn't have the chops for. His picking is dull and lacks any real dynamics, his legato is mediocre and sweeping is simply laughable.

His lessons all seem to be shameless amalgamations of Speed Kills and Intense Rock.

His legato work is insane imo. Some of those legato runs are very hard to pull off. There isnt a guitarist out there like Tremonti, he has all the tools.

I cannot fine any other guitarist for where i can say all there solos are amazing. Tremonti's solos are shred-like.

I respect your opinion but when your name is mentioned by some of the great guitar players of today, that is a huge compliment in my eyes.
Your website mentioned that you just worked with Mark Tremonti on a new DVD. Are you able to reveal any details about it?

Mark and I are very good friends. He is not only an amazing, number 1, hit songwriter, but a great lead guitarist and one of the most ferocious Death Metal rhythm guitarists I have ever heard or seen. He is incredibly fast using only a downstroke. He is just an amazing artist. In my guest appearance on his DVD, I demonstrated some intense alternate picking exercises and played a 5-minute unaccompanied guitar solo that they had asked me to perform when I got to the soundstage. I had no idea I was going to do that, but I was pleased with the way it turned out. I used Mark’s live, concert rig and it sounded great.
every song on Blackbird in my opinion deserves to be a hit IMO, they really outdid One Day Remains. While Tremonti isn't the best i agree, he's definitely talented and knows when to utilize shredding when he wants to
Quote by wil

Nothing wrong with that; they're damn good exercises and he's a clean player even if his solos are pretty cliched.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well, firstly, he is my favourite guitarist. But not necessarily for his solos and technical ability, because of his songwriting ability. Some of Alter Bridge's arrangements, melodies and riffs are just second to none.
He has the technical ability he just goes for more melody in his solos and thats what i love about him. Listen to the solo in blackbird, that solo is one of the best all time and utilizes tons of technical skills.
I bought my PRS because Tremonti and Opeth supported them.

Tremonti.
Opeth.

Wow. I never thought I'd see Opeth and Tremonti mentioned in the same post, but damn. It makes sense.

Two incredible entities who craft amazing art and whose fanbase is either a bunch of people that love them or a bunch of people that call them bland ****.

As it stands, personally, I jack my dick to some of Tremonti's stuff. He's ridiculously talented in technical and musical aspects. His playing far outclasses a WIDE margin of the guitarists who play in similar bands. I really hope he comes out with some solo stuff soon.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
^ Man you nailed it. What he plays today isnt being done by too many other rock guitarists. Im in the same boat as you i want some solo material...
Quote by DeadIdentity81
^ Man you nailed it. What he plays today isnt being done by too many other rock guitarists. Im in the same boat as you i want some solo material...

I'm not sure I'd want any solo material, the only thing we've seen that is close would be Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad and quite frankly beyond the speed and clarity that song has very little to recommend it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Page 1 of 3