Page 1 of 2
It's come to the point where I'm getting bored of Windows, and having seen the Mac's in action around stores and having come into touch with some great systems in studios, I've decided it's time to turn my attention to Apple and give them a try.

So anyway, I was wondering if any of the UG Mac-ers could clear up a few points for me, specifically with the Macbook (Not Pro...):

1. Is the Macbook capable of running software such as Logic and other music and media editing applications?
2. Although lacking much of a graphics card and having quite a small screen, is the Macbook capable of running decent photo editing applications such as Adobe Photoshop CS3?
3. Is MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger compatible with a Mac?
4. What is the Windows platform like on a Mac if you get to installing it?

And lastly, what is your general thoughts on the Mac, as a musician and as a user generally?

Thanks guys, will be most appreciated!
Thanks for reading
cue macboys entry; that guy with the gandalf sig whose name i cant remember coming in and actually providing some witty comment (with truth behind it) and no real information
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by Reapersoul
No, but it is more pretentious and overbearing.

Aye.

I was using one on Saturday, and with no fault of my own the buggers internet crashed a good few times.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
the macbook is a little jewel, its fine for graphics work, user friendly and so on... but i think its impossible to run the majority of PC programs
A MacBook will be perfect with everything you're looking to do, just make sure you get 2GB of RAM with it (or buy some of the Crucial RAM like I did, it's cheaper and just as good)
They have macs up where I do music tech and I hate them. So overly bleh.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I post this about once a month, and now seems as good a time as any...
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Quote by Maddox

Ever notice how most Mac users are skinny? It's because of all the calories they burn because they can't shut the **** up about how great their Macs are. What is it about Apple that makes its users unable to shut their mouths? Everywhere I go, there's another asshole with a Mac preaching about how much better Macs are than PCs. They regurgitate lines directly from Apple's marketing campaign, like "it just works." I have the following rebuttals to this argument:

1. If everything on a Mac just works, then why does a website called "Mac fix it" exist, assholes? Here are a few choice topics on macfixitforums.com:

-Login window stuck!
-lower caSe "S" key not working!!
-Menu bar keeps flashing
-I can't drag and drop!

Waaaah, boo hoo! I can't drag and drop! Dumbass. Looks like your Macs aren't perfect after all, which leads me to my second point:

2. **** you.

After the recent Apple conference, Mac fans were elated. One person was quoted as saying "I've had a Macintosh now for a total of 35 days, and I'm really excited to be part of the Mac community." Part of the Mac community? It's a computer, not a social movement, asshole! I feel like Apple is not just selling computers, they're selling a way of life, and I'm not ready to be that heavily invested in a product.
I think a lot of people are prejudiced against mac because they're so used to windows...

I'd get one if I had the money, I've used my friend's and it's pretty sweet. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with it to answer your questions. One thing I do know is, iChat with the video function is 1000x better than anything I've seen on windows.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
I absolutely love mine. If you plan on using it for gaming, etc., then it's probably not the best idea... but considering I actually have a life and don't waste it on games lol, it's sooooo much nicer than my windows computer.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
I AM ON A MAC!!!!

1. Is the Macbook capable of running software such as Logic and other music and media editing applications?

>>>>>YES. Macs have pre-installed GarageBand, & you can download Audacity, Ardour & Hydrogen on it too.

2. Although lacking much of a graphics card and having quite a small screen, is the Macbook capable of running decent photo editing applications such as Adobe Photoshop CS3?

>>>>>DEFINITELY check out www.paul-ooi-art.blogspot.com. macs are almost built for stuff like that.

>>>>>>DUH, it's called MSN MAC. but it lacks many features like webcam, call, nudge...

>>>>>>I tried it when i had the in-built 1GB RAM, it lagged like mad.
but now i have 2GB RAM but have yet to test the windows out.
to dual-boot use Apple Boot Camp.

And lastly, what is your general thoughts on the Mac, as a musician and as a user generally?

>>>>>>as a musician? AWESOME. as a user? BETTER>.

Note: Upgrade your Hard Disk 'cos as a music-inclined guy you'll need the space. it's only 60GB.

MAC ALL THE WAY!!!!

ahahahaha
Yeah Mac fanboy.
And he is lefty.
He is sooo different.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
I have a mac. I miss my games, I nearly cried the day HL2 Orange Box was released. The lack of a right click is pissing me off. Also, if ur a college student like me, a mac is hell. When a math or comp sci teacher shows u a program like excel or matlab, the mac menus are different than the windows ones. I have to relearn everything on a mac. However, Ive noticed my wireless internet connection works better than windows.
okay, i will just say this, in the past week, there has been like 4 threads about macs..

Yes but you need mac versions, you cant simply use the PC cd to install the stuff

yes, same issue as above you need the mac version of Photoshop

yes theres MSN Messenger Mac

Exactly the same, you can switch between the two and its like switching between computers

ive had a mac about 2 weeks now, its nothing really that special, computers are computers really, not having to worry about virus stuff is great though, garageband is alright but nothing if youve used Protools
I've seen some VERY dumb Mac users around.

But on the other hand, I've seen a lot more dumb PC users.

Mac is considered better for work with editing photos, video and music. PC is better for gaming etc.

That's the general idea I've gotten, I don't have a Mac.
Quote by kidsilcon
I have a MacBook and it's sh't, i prefer Windows any day.

Could I have it?
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
From what I've seen of Macs it seems a bit too shiny/flashy useless features to be an everyday-use functional computer.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
It's all about the system - Macs are based on a BSD, which is Unix-like. I'd say get a live CD ( stick it in the PC, turn on, system is on that CD and runs of it entirely ) of something like Ubuntu Studio, Studio 64 or any other audio based Linux distributions and have a look at them.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=64studio

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntustudio
Quote by duncang
From what I've seen of Macs it seems a bit too shiny/flashy useless features to be an everyday-use functional computer.

It is shiny and flashy, yet also functional. School work, internet surfing, email, and games are used on mine everyday. Poor PC users thinking you can't have nice looking things. Most PC users assume things about Mac, turn them into 'facts' and the sheep (what every human being was made to be from birth) follow it and bastardize the Mac user.
Why are we so wicked indecisive
Let's hit the streets with toy explosives
And let's enjoy what we have
Quote by Ehh
It is shiny and flashy, yet also functional. School work, internet surfing, email, and games are used on mine everyday. Poor PC users thinking you can't have nice looking things. Most PC users assume things about Mac, turn them into 'facts' and the sheep (what every human being was made to be from birth) follow it and bastardize the Mac user.

Well I suppose you do have to get used to the difference in the way things work but I spent a while looking at macs and there were a fair few things I couldn't get my head around, though I can't recall them now.

Anyway, I'm not gonna end up buying a mac anytime soon cause even if it is better, windows does just fine for me.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by BackTothe101
\ The lack of a right click is pissing me off. Also, if ur a college student like me, a mac is hell. When a math or comp sci teacher shows u a program like excel or matlab, the mac menus are different than the windows ones. I have to relearn everything on a mac. However, Ive noticed my wireless internet connection works better than windows.

The biggest Mac myth is that there is no right click. If you are using a mouse the mac will recognize it and function with right-click capability.

There is no reason a mac can't run MS Office programs because there is MS Office for Mac.....
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
I personally never hear people gush about their PC. There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy, as long as you can see both points of view. Don't be hatin.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by Fama
I've seen some VERY dumb Mac users around.

But on the other hand, I've seen a lot more dumb PC users.

Mac is considered better for work with editing photos, video and music. PC is better for gaming etc.

That's the general idea I've gotten, I don't have a Mac.

Then again, there are a lot less Mac users..
I read a little story once, it's sorta interesting.

Think of an operating system as an airplane. Windows users get on the plane and enjoy some of its flashy features - comfy chairs, a nice bathroom, etc. It begins to taxi down the run way and blows up before it even gets in the air. Mac users get on the plane. They're all dressed the same, they all look, talk, and sound the same. Their flight works but its boring and totally not unique. Linux users get on the plane and are given an instruction manual for building their chair. Once they take the time to build it properly they sit back and enjoy the best flight of their lives.

Anyways. If you switch to Mac you have to have the attitude that it's NOT WINDOWS. Jeez, that sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed how many people think the windows way is the only way to do it. I run a Debian based Linux distribution called Sidux. I love it. I've tried to introduce a few friends to more "friendly" distributions like Ubuntu, but they just can't adapt to it. Everything, from the fact that drives aren't name "C;\" or "D:\" just perplex them. No start button, different way of installing programs, it's just not windows.

Point is, if you switch operating systems take the time to get used to it. Find the nice things, recognize the shortcomings. Then decide if it's worth it or not.
Quote by This is the One
If you ask me Macs can't do as much stuff as PCs and also theyre more confusing. Also, they never seem to work the way you want them to.
And i think they look ugly.

They do more than PC. Considering they can run windows. You sound like you've rarely, if ever used a Mac.
Quote by Herr Jones
I read a little story once, it's sorta interesting.

Think of an operating system as an airplane. Windows users get on the plane and enjoy some of its flashy features - comfy chairs, a nice bathroom, etc. It begins to taxi down the run way and blows up before it even gets in the air. Mac users get on the plane. They're all dressed the same, they all look, talk, and sound the same. Their flight works but its boring and totally not unique. Linux users get on the plane and are given an instruction manual for building their chair. Once they take the time to build it properly they sit back and enjoy the best flight of their lives.

Anyways. If you switch to Mac you have to have the attitude that it's NOT WINDOWS. Jeez, that sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed how many people think the windows way is the only way to do it. I run a Debian based Linux distribution called Sidux. I love it. I've tried to introduce a few friends to more "friendly" distributions like Ubuntu, but they just can't adapt to it. Everything, from the fact that drives aren't name "C;\" or "D:\" just perplex them. No start button, different way of installing programs, it's just not windows.

Point is, if you switch operating systems take the time to get used to it. Find the nice things, recognize the shortcomings. Then decide if it's worth it or not.

sounded to me is point of the story is Linux wins or start driving places instead of flying
Quote by duncang

From my experience (albeit limited), Macs are GREAT for everyday use. As long as you don't care about not having that many (if any) games, they're the ****. Expensive though.

They're best if you're doing video/graphic/music editing stuff (or so I've heard).

I don't get why people buy Macs and then bitch about how they don't have games and all that.
They're expensive compared to a crappy computer. Compare specs, it's priced competitively.
The argument that Macs cost so much more than other computers isn't valid anymore.
Page 1 of 2