Ok, so I know I've posted about getting a new amp countless times. But now my little practice amp just won't do anymore. As of now I have a GX15 Crate . . . .if you've ever played one you'd know if you even attempt distortion on it, you're done. So I need a little practice amp maybe 15 watts tops that has a good clean and can handle a distortion without the crackling and popping in the background. Any suggestions?

PS. I'm a little broke right now so aim low for the cash.
Either a Palomino V8 or an Epiphone Valve Jr. and an overdrive or distortion pedal. 5 watts is perfect for bedroom practice, and they're both valve amps so they should give you plenty of tone
a 25w stinger could do... i have a kustom solo 16, its quite cheap (about 100 bucks) and makes almost every guitar sound quite good
Epi VJ, but it is worth reading the tube thread- 5w tube is way louder than 5w solid state.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
What's better valved or tubed? Better yet, what's the difference? (I'm an idiot o.O)
Tube=much better & much more expensive

when saturated tubes gives back different armonics than solid state, wich means in practical terms they sound warmer and have better dynamic
this doesnt mean tubed amp or ****ty amp, but tubes has much more of a value
Last edited by swinghead at Oct 24, 2007,
Quote by bambamm89
What's better valved or tubed? Better yet, what's the difference? (I'm an idiot o.O)

No difference. Valves and tubes are the same. They're supposed to be called valves, but...
OK so I'm going with valve it seems. Go easy on the pockets I need a car also. I'm aim more for like under $100 (If that's possible)
Quote by bambamm89
OK so I'm going with valve it seems. Go easy on the pockets I need a car also. I'm aim more for like under $100 (If that's possible)

Heh...not likely

Can you stretch as far as $200? That will get you the Palomino V8
Eh, if I go above 150 it's gonna have to be for more than just playing at my comp alone o.O
In that case...you could either look at the Epiphone Valve Jr. (but you'd need an overdrive pedal at a later date) or else go used. The Valve Jr. is a good amp, but you have to turn it up loud before it distorts on its own.
Yeah, I plan to buy pedals also, that's no problem. I just need something that want crap out on me as soon as I hit the pedal like my GX15 o.o
Im looking for something with it's own settings also. The valve looks nice, but all it has is a volume knob. What about something that I could tweak the settings to? (Keep thinking cheap though)

This is the amp I wanted to buy http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18112-18W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487051 But due to EmptyPocketsSyndrom, it seems that won't be happening anytime soon.
Last edited by bambamm89 at Oct 24, 2007,
Look on eBay for the Palomino. Or you could also look for a Peavey Valveking Royal 8. That has gain, volume and tone controls, which is more than the VJ. But honestly, the VJ and a single pedal can be really versatile. When I had mine, I ran that along with my Boss DS-2 and I could get a lot of different sounds from it. Learning to use the controls on your guitar whilst playing really helps unlock a lot of different sounds.

You could also look at something like a Vox AD15VT. However, it's not an all-valve amp, so the tone won't be as good. But they aren't terrible amps.
Quote by Denthúl
No difference. Valves and tubes are the same. They're supposed to be called valves, but...

psh, they're supposed to be called tubes!

and threadstarter, that v-series that you're looking at is a newer design of the palomino, and 18watts instead of 5. both are extremely loud for bedroom mind you.

i'd say go with the palomino v8, then get an eq pedal and an overdrive pedal. shouldn't be too expensive, and your tone should still be great.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008