I thought after a distinct period of silence on these forums i'd contribute a wee Bit.

NEW PICTURES POST #27 (HERE)

Now i have my les paul special II and a yamaha pacifica 612v and i'm happy with both especially the latter and not wanting to tamper with them i bought myself, what i can describe as, a play thing:

I bought it off ebay, new, for £80 (+ amp and accessories) inc. postage (About $160), and for the money its not too bad. Although it pains me to say it, unfortunately its plywood, however never fear (If my modifications go wrong i'm not gonna be too bothered!).

The Plan

By madsalty at 2007-10-24

Now after a few playing sessions with this beast, well, erm, the tone isn't the greatest and the pickups are low quality and low output, as those pinch harmonics and carefully planned tapping sequences are not sounding like they should! So i ripped off the back-plate to discover that the guitar is (1) wired up wrong as in nothing is grounded which explains that insesant buzzing! Also all of the internal components are less than good quality (Micro-pots and 10p capacitors).
So I feel some Srague orange drop caps coming on and a rewire!

Also as with many guitars of this calibre tuning stability is poor. The Tuners, nut and bridge are all very low quality, but i think it can be rectified so replacements are coming!

As for the pickups, well i definately want a new high output bridge pickup. Now bearing in mind that this is not an expensive guitar, to put you know, seymour duncans and the like in would be stupid, however it presents the perfect oportunity to experiment a bit. On ebay a while ago i spotted some QuadRail Pickups with about a 24k output and have curious ever since so it looks like i have ,my bridge pickup sorted however as for the neck i have no idea suggestions please?

Also i've been dying to install my guitar fetish clapton "women tone" onboard eq wich i purchased along time ago and have not really used.

And i also have a quote for a black metal flake paint job!

Sound Crazy enough?

All suggestions are welcome but keep them constructive and not too expensive i'm trying to keep as tight a budget as possible and remember i live in the UK!

Will keep posting!

PS. I forgot to say although i'm not sure wether it matters i play classic rock and the like and have a vox valvetronix AD100VT

The List of Items - all prices include delivery and are in pounds

Ordered

1 * .022uF and 1 * .047uF Sprague Orange Drop Capacitors - £4.50

GraphTech TREM-NUT - £3.50

Guitar Fetish Clapton "women tone" onboard eq - £5.00

HOT QUAD RAIL BLADE HUMBUCKER - £15

Total = £28 < OMG How have i spent this much already!!!!!!!!!!

Awaiting Order

Tune-o-Matic Roller Bridge

Some Sort of locking tuners - advice welcome nothing too expensive though

Neck Pickup

New Switches for both pickup selector and bi-pass switch
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Jan 22, 2008,
Yeah, what's to advice, you seem to know what you want.
START IT!

POST PICS!!
=)
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
i had guitarfetish electronics. it kills your sound. i hate it. worst use of $30 ever.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by m_hedborg
Yeah, what's to advice, you seem to know what you want.
START IT!

POST PICS!!
=)

Thanks for the positive advice, and yes i will start it (List of ordered items going up soon)

Quote by ECistheBest
i had guitarfetish electronics. it kills your sound. i hate it. worst use of $30 ever.

I'll bare that in mind, however it cost me about 5 dollars delivered off ebay bout 3/4 months ago so i'm not too bothered if it isn't that good! Plus i plan to rewire my pots giving me a master tone and volume, thus leaving the circuit completely separate and switched (may even wire a true bypass switch but don't kow yet!).
Thanks for the heads up though.

Anyone have any suggestions for a neck pickup that provides good clean tones?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Oct 24, 2007,
u should wire a true bypass toggle. it adds noticeable hiss too. gets really annoying.

i only get hardware from guitarfetish. i can make my own guitar electronics that sounds better than guitarfetish bull****.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
u should wire a true bypass toggle. it adds noticeable hiss too. gets really annoying.

i only get hardware from guitarfetish. i can make my own guitar electronics that sounds better than guitarfetish bull****.

Sounds reasonable and its good to know that the hardware is pretty good!

List of items is up, Suggestions welcome!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Split-switch for the pups? Also, i think you'd better buy some new, quality pots. They don't cost that much, try to find a local electronics shop, not a guitar shop. They will be a lot more expensive on the guitar-based shops. Look around in your area, try to get alpha pots, they are really durable.
Quote by m_hedborg
Split-switch for the pups? Also, i think you'd better buy some new, quality pots. They don't cost that much, try to find a local electronics shop, not a guitar shop. They will be a lot more expensive on the guitar-based shops. Look around in your area, try to get alpha pots, they are really durable.

The current pickup selector switch is super poor quality and almost grates when you move it! So i'll whack a new one in!

There is a Problem with the Pots. The back cavity has been routered and installed in such a way so as you can only fit micro-pots. Unfortunately i don't have access to a router and because of the back plate being a unique shape currently i would have to some tricky work! (I'll post pics of the problem soon, probably tomorow) But you're right better quality pots Would probably help, i've tried and used alpha pots before and i will testify to their quality and the only electronic store near me sells world war II components (Ebay seems to be the most usefull for me).

New Pic Of plan is Up!!!!!!!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Ah okay, just one thing, if regular pots dont fit, will the onboard-eq fit?
put the onboard eq on the bottom volume. u'd love the master volume being closer to you.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by TastyMooglePie
add a kaoss pad!

just kidding. maybe add a killswitch?

coil-splitting is good idea too.

Sry for my ignorance but what does "kaoss pad" mean?

I don't realy have a need for a killswitch, or at least i don't think so.

Coil-splitting is a good idea but with the quad rail, i have found out, you can split the double humbucker to a single humbucker so i'm unsure wether its worth it. If i was to do it it would be with a push-pull pot. but like i say i have issues with space in the cavity.

Thanks for the constructive advice just what i'm after

Quote by m_hedborg
Ah okay, just one thing, if regular pots dont fit, will the onboard-eq fit?

It will but only in a certain place, its complicated, i'll show you when i post the pics tomo!

Quote by ECistheBest
put the onboard eq on the bottom volume. u'd love the master volume being closer to you.

Genuinely i'd Love the master volume closer but without some routing i can't put the EQ Anywhere else at the mo. Good idea though. Thanks

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Sorry for double post!!!!

Look What arrived today:

On another Note Voila! the inside cavity!

A little tight for space but i think i can actually get the eq on the bottom i'll just have to do a bit of sanding. As you can see its a bit tight for space so full size pots are not really an option for them all.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Oct 25, 2007,
Man, I really don't like the idea of micro-pots, do you have a regular-sized pot that you can at least try out? And one question to anyone who might know, does size matter? For the pots...

Nice with the other stuff you've got, the rail pickup is really intresting, how many wires does it have?
And whats up with the Sprague orange drops, some people hail to them, and others say it doesn't matter. Why should it matter? Whats the different between those and regular caps?

More questions!! Your onboard EQ just have one knob, thats pretty weird to me. What does it do?

An for a suggestion about your neck pickup, I say: Fill it! A single bridge pickup on a les paul would be cool!
Quote by m_hedborg
Man, I really don't like the idea of micro-pots, do you have a regular-sized pot that you can at least try out? And one question to anyone who might know, does size matter? For the pots...

Nice with the other stuff you've got, the rail pickup is really intresting, how many wires does it have?
And whats up with the Sprague orange drops, some people hail to them, and others say it doesn't matter. Why should it matter? Whats the different between those and regular caps?

More questions!! Your onboard EQ just have one knob, thats pretty weird to me. What does it do?

An for a suggestion about your neck pickup, I say: Fill it! A single bridge pickup on a les paul would be cool!

I know the pots may suck my tone, but it would be pointless currently (due to space issues) leaving two as micro pots as the would suck my tone anyway. I'll enquire into getting a router and if its possible i will re-route the cavity to fit full size pots!

Pickup as in QuadRail has 5 wires (although 2 are grounds). It can be coil split but only to a single set of rails.

I love em, Spraque orange drop caps have a more precise value to 5% instead of 15-25%. This enables a more defined tone, you can hear the difference but its not much. The values are the important thing by being able to swap between both i'll be able to instantly change from varying level of dark to bright!

The EQ is actually very simple read here:

Guitar Fetish - Mid Boost Circuit "Clapton - Women Tone"

I only bought it cos it was cheap £5.00 thought it might be interesting!

The neck pickup? erm? well? I not sure about filling it. Definately want something humbucker shaped. Maybe a P-90 that fits as a humbucker?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
A P-94 from Gibson or one of the Kent Armstrong ones would be good. Put in a coil-split for the quadrail, and u have pretty much any tone option there is. I really like the paint job on the pic, dull like that.
Quote by qotsa1998
A P-94 from Gibson or one of the Kent Armstrong ones would be good. Put in a coil-split for the quadrail, and u have pretty much any tone option there is. I really like the paint job on the pic, dull like that.

I was thinking along those lines. The only problem is it will drive me nuts having one black pickup and one chrome/gold or not totally black pickup! Can i get an all black p94?

I've looked into coil tapping, but how would i go about doing it? On the seymour duncan website it confuses me as it seems to coil tap both humbuckers with a 5 way switch which isn't much use to me?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Just an Update:

Sry guys but i've been a bit bogged down with sixth form and work. Hopefully i can finish this project (or even get it started) sometime Soon!

Still need suggestions for a neck pickup. A p-94 style pickup sounds good but can you get an all black one? I don't particularly like black but i like everything to match.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
OMG (I cannot actually believe that i just used that turn of phrase)

I installed the new pickup in the bridge, re-wired everything to make the guitar correctly grounded. I also installed the new caps and due to the alternating values tonally it has alot of options. However one problem, the pickup is that powerfull it actuall drives the speaker to distort on the clean channel of the Vox. However on the distortion channel with full tone it just sounds viscious, no tone sounds creamy.

Also I installed Pick Dr. Strings so it looks like a slightly camp les-paul!

Never Got around to installing the Eq.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I LOVE it, except maybe not cream pickguard lol. go black or none. otherwise keepo going, and PICS!
Quote by Mr. Saturn
I LOVE it, except maybe not cream pickguard lol. go black or none. otherwise keepo going, and PICS!

I've just taken the PickGuard Off.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
where are you getting the quad rails from?

and do they come in white?

nice build tho

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Sounds a bit far-fetched but i used to/still have a Call of Duty Clan, within which i had members from all over the world! (Nerdy I know)

Anyway, I had a couple of members from Somewhere in Beijing. I was on skype to one of them, happened to mention i was looking for a guitar pickup. He said he would send me a new quadrail, for the equivalent of £15 i bought it and i'm quite happy. I had heard some were floating around on ebay, but i've just searched quad rail etc. But no avail.

I have no idea if they come in white.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
wow.

so perhaps i wont be getting one next week
YES, wow, they appear to be rarer than i thought, i really can't find them. If you type it into google, it appears a few Kramer Guitar Models have had them in the past and apart from the ocasional other enthusiast such as myself, they appear hard to come by.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
I have a Quadrail laying around from my Kramer. I hope you know what you're getting into this thing has tons of output the louder you play it the better it sounds. Dont expect nice cleans.

Ugliest pickup ever though, especially from the bottom and its heavy as sh*t

2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Jan 11, 2008,
Quote by DSOTM80
I have a Quadrail laying around from my Kramer. I hope you know what you're getting into this thing has tons of output the louder you play it the better it sounds. Dont expect nice cleans.

It is Very, Very heavy as far as pickups go, and it only sounds good at full volume. The bottom on mine has a brass plate like most ordinary humbuckers.

Just thought you good people needed sime pics of the finished project!

During the dismantling process:

Tada (Not much i know) but hey!

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
wow! how do you get coloured strings!?

looking good so far, maybe a refinish too?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Madsalty
It is Very, Very heavy as far as pickups go, and it only sounds good at full volume. The bottom on mine has a brass plate like most ordinary humbuckers.

Just thought you good people needed sime pics of the finished project!

During the dismantling process:

Tada (Not much i know) but hey!

Hey thats pretty good. How does it sound?
Quote by metallicafan616
wow! how do you get coloured strings!?

looking good so far, maybe a refinish too?

They are Dr.Strings the coated Extra life ones, they are pretty good quality strings feel like elixirs.

I'd love to re-finish it, however with exams and work i really don't have the time.

Quote by DSOTM80
Hey thats pretty good. How does it sound?

It sounds much better now. As well as the obvious pickup change i re-wired the guitar with fully shielded wire, wired in Orange drop caps and actually grounded the guitar properly.

As for the new pickup it really does sound viscious. At full tone & volume it sound bright and very aggressive, it drives the speaker in my amp on the clean channel. with the tone rolled off, (don't know how to say this but) tonally its not so great, although it does sound pretty creamy-reminiscient of the clapton women tone but not quite as intonated.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by DSOTM80

DO WANT

u in the UK bud? i might be able to take that off your hands if your interested
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
DO WANT

u in the UK bud? i might be able to take that off your hands if your interested

Yea I thought about selling it but for now I'm going to keep it. I dont want to get rid of it just yet but I'll let you know if i change my mind. Thats 3 people though that have asked me if I want to sell it. I don't know why, its definitely not the greatest pickup. Maybe because they are tough to find and so different that people want to try them. Not sure
looks good

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost