in December I've been playing for 3 years.. and I can't solo.. I can't sweep.. my scales suck.. I can go ascending but not descending... my legato is weak at best.. songs that seem like they should come easy don't.. I'm not going to say I'm a bad guitarist cause I can play a pretty wide range of songs fairly decent.. any help?
more practise? It takes time.

I can do desending really good but I really can't ascend very well.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Try playing your scales slowly at first ascending then descending. The get faster and faster, if you start messing up slow back down.

You should also really look into a private tutor if you haven't already.

When you get pretty good at this play the scales as only hammer-ons and pull-offs.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
yeah I just figure after 3 years of practice I'd be able to do all that **** good.. and it's kind of discouraging to get on youtube and see people doing mad solos and playing eruption and having only played for a year.. should I switch instruments or do you think it will come?

also.. could it be the guitar itself that's slowing me down? cause I've an Epiphone SG and a Sammick V that I play
Well, it could just be because you don't practice enough. How often do you practice everyday? Make sure you're playing chromatics everytime you pick up the guitar to practice.

EDIT: I have an Epi SG and I do notice it's much easier when I play on my friends Ibanez RG. Also you try thinner strings. If you're using 10s I suggest switching to 9s.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
some people just have more natural talent than others

other people just practice for insane amounts of time

but the rest of us, we have to keep working.

i've been playin goin on 5 years and im jus startin to get decent at soloing.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
yeah it takes longer than three years....if you want to play good guitar.....i know the guy from hawthorn heights has been playing for less time than me........i guess that makes sense though with the way they sound
I found that I can play alot faster when I am standing up rather than sitting down. I have really long arms though and I feel like I have more space while I'm standing. Dont know if that helps. Just keep practicing, i've been playing for 10 years and still have some trouble sweep picking. It seems if I dont practice it consistently it leaves me
Quote by icon_player_5
some people just have more natural talent than others

Unless you are talking about having hands smaller than the average or something alike, i don't think that "talent" could apply to guitar or any instrument. I think talent doesn't exist or doesn't make you better, but constant practice and with the right technique.

About the thread, i know is frustating sometimes when you see those crazy shredders on youtube and you might think that you're never gonna get as good as they do, but you have to compare your progress with yourself, not with others guitarist. I'm playing for like 4 years and i know that i can't play at 14nps, but i do know with my practice routine that i'm better than i was a month ago and someday i will reach the 14nps if i'm keep practicing and that what's matter at the end of the day.

P.D: Sorry for my english, is not my primary language
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
you have to compare your progress with yourself, not with others guitarist. I'm playing for like 4 years and i know that i can't play at 14nps, but i do know with my practice routine that i'm better than i was a month ago and someday i will reach the 14nps if i'm keep practicing and that what's matter at the end of the day.

P.D: Sorry for my english, is not my primary language

yeah.. well I do have to say I'm better than I was a month ago.. as far as accuracy.. maybe not so much speed.. but I got on the lessons and printed out a dickload of scales and I've been practicing so I'll keep at it and hopefully I'll make progress.. and I think I'm gonna look into getting lessons
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
You are having problems with the overall timing and consistency with/between your hands. The reason you can play a variety of songs is because songs kind of become "memory" in your muscles. If you play a song for a long time, it will become second nature and you will be good at playing it and other songs similar to it.

A lot of people tell you to practice. That is very bad advice because it is so vague. Specifically, you need to do chromatic exercises and other finger exercises to improve your picking, timing, consistency, and versatility in your left hand. You should practice exercises every day anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. They work great. Keep in mind that they are not magic. It will take weeks for improvement and months for proper consistency, but your timing and coordination between your hands should improve a little faster.

There are a lot of threads here where people ask about finger exercises, so check out the threads, scribble down a bunch of exercises, and play 'em .
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401