My friend is a very good bass player, he can do Jaco Pastorius, to Flea, To victor wooten.
he wants a frettless bass.
problem is, he just bought a guitar last year, a fender mexi jazz bass, and his dad told him he would get him a Frettless bass but its gotta be kinda cheap.
hes budget is around 400-500-600 dollars, but the lower=the better since i know he isnt from a rich family and that their having some financial problems right now, so at best, 500-450 dollars would be very good.
he is willing to go used so do any of you guys have any options or advices for my friend?
he really wants to replicate Jaco's sound, style and overall feel, but i know it isnt possible at 500 bucks, so the best for that price would be terrific.
something in the same look/feel as a jazz bass would be awsome
thank you all very much
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

Quote by Joey-Tribiani
My friend is a very good bass player, he can do Jaco Pastorius, to Flea, To victor wooten.
he wants a frettless bass.
problem is, he just bought a guitar last year, a fender mexi jazz bass, and his dad told him he would get him a Frettless bass but its gotta be kinda cheap.
hes budget is around 400-500-600 dollars, but the lower=the better since i know he isnt from a rich family and that their having some financial problems right now, so at best, 500-450 dollars would be very good.
he is willing to go used so do any of you guys have any options or advices for my friend?
he really wants to replicate Jaco's sound, style and overall feel, but i know it isnt possible at 500 bucks, so the best for that price would be terrific.
something in the same look/feel as a jazz bass would be awsome
thank you all very much

Don't want to be a dick, but learn how to express a number range. "400-500-600" is the same as "400-600." Jeez.

Anyway, Squier has a Vintage Jazz Fretless that's pretty affordable if he really wants a fretless, but I don't like it very much. The fretboard is made of some sort of plastic, and it feels weird. I found that it also didn't have that classic fretless "mwah."
Quote by Charlatan_001
Don't want to be a dick, but learn how to express a number range. "400-500-600" is the same as "400-600." Jeez.

Anyway, Squier has a Vintage Jazz Fretless that's pretty affordable if he really wants a fretless, but I don't like it very much. The fretboard is made of some sort of plastic, and it feels weird. I found that it also didn't have that classic fretless "mwah."

um.....
Just some inside information.. fretless basses are friggin hard to come by around here.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
eBay is your friend here. The prices you can get fretless basses for are unreal. For that price range, you could even get a fretless Warwick Corvette (passive).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
eBay is your friend here. The prices you can get fretless basses for are unreal. For that price range, you could even get a fretless Warwick Corvette (passive).

Take his advice. Plus, if you can't find any good deals, there are some companies with dirt cheap basses that sometimes turn out to be okay after you buy them.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.