Page 1 of 2
hey i was wondering whihc is better overall (tone, sustain, in-tune, etc.)for a 72 tele custom.

3 saddle or the 6 saddle one? mine comes with a 3 but wasnt sure if that was better. i also heard that the 6 one keeps it in tune better, not sure, but thats what i heard. Thanks
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
3 saddle is harder to set the intonation well because you have to make a compromise between the intonation of the two neighbouring strings when you set it. 6 saddle is better as far as i know. i can't think of any advantages of having only 3.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
^the three gives it the classic twang... the 6 gives intonation... neither is better but the 3 saddles really are a big plus if you want that classic tele sound
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
if my guitar comes set with 3 saddles could i take those out and just replace it with 6 saddles or would i need to get a new bridge?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by marktuazon
if my guitar comes set with 3 saddles could i take those out and just replace it with 6 saddles or would i need to get a new bridge?

You'd have to get a new bridge (unless you're really, really, good at bridge maintence and working with metal ).

I find my dads MIA Tele with six saddles has plenty of twang, so I'd advice you to go for six.

There's probably a reason why almost every Tele produced these days has six saddles.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
6 saddle are way easieer to intonate
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Three saddles get bigger, richer tone and better sustain, not to mention the twang like crazy if you want them to

There's a reason why almost all boutique telecasters come with compensated 3-saddle bridges (get the wilkinson adjustable ones from stewmac for the most versatility, or Callaham or Glendale for fixed) most of the time you can buy the saddle set on its own as a retrofit.
im not sure if i want the "twang" though. i'll see though..still isnt here but should be like in a few hours or tomorrow.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Most telecasters these days have a tone knob which will dial out the twang if you want it too
Tele purists will always say three saddles for tone, and there's science behind it, it;s not just sentiment. Three saddles means there's two strings on it and therefore twice as much pressure - that means there's less potential for movement so you get a fuller tone and more sustain.

You're talking pretty small differences and you'd need pretty good ears to tell, if at all. Six individual saddles is obviously a lot more convenient and more accurate for intonation purposes, but arguably it takes a little of the tele's "no nonsense" style away.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Also, don't forget that those big, 2 string saddles still only have 3 contact points with the rest of the body, meaning the vibration of 2 strings is going through 3 contact points, rather than 1 string going through 3 contract points with a 6 saddle bridge. There is no benefit whatsoever to a 3 saddle bridge.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Also, don't forget that those big, 2 string saddles still only have 3 contact points with the rest of the body, meaning the vibration of 2 strings is going through 3 contact points, rather than 1 string going through 3 contract points with a 6 saddle bridge. There is no benefit whatsoever to a 3 saddle bridge.

Toshay!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well i could hear the sustain..pretty good. but now i'm having tuning problems.. i'm not sure if it's the bridge or my tuning pegs. after a little playing everything seems to go out of tune slightly but my G string drops a lot more..should i adjust the bridge, change the tuning pegs, or adjust truss rod. if anything i might have to go to a shop..Oh also i'm using 9's but i plan to change to 10's. would that make it stay in tune better?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Eigh, I think the tonal differances are like those of fretboard woods...not enough to notice if you've been playing less than 10 years. The 6 saddle is easier to work with, but the 3 saddle just looks more TELE.
i dont know but they seem VERY worn in..i bought from a guy on ebay and just got it yesterday. dirt mainly
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Try replacing them and stretching them in, see how the stability is after that.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by marktuazon
i dont know but they seem VERY worn in..i bought from a guy on ebay and just got it yesterday. dirt mainly

Just remove the old strings, clean the fretboard while you're at it, and restring it. When the new strings have settled in, check if it still detunes so often.

If it isn't solved yet, try some nut lubricant, or just replace the nut in favor of a graphite one.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
the best tone and sustain from three. best intonation 6.
i think they make a replacement three that has really good intoneation.
ok well i guess i'll change the strings then and maybe change the saddles or something. ill try looking for a good replacement 3..any suggestions?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Who's "they" and why would "their" 3 saddle bridge intonate better than any other?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently

Quote by Dirk Gently
Who's "they" and why would "their" 3 saddle bridge intonate better than any other?

compensated saddles... wilkinson does one, I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, i'm sure a bunch of different guys do them now, wilkinson was just the one I thought of.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

This is the one

Suhr has them on their teles now. That's enough of an endorsement for me.

Plus its better than most compensated because it's adjustable, not fixed - that means if I want me a wound G I can have one.
lol i was just gonna post if i should get that...ok so now i have another question, since i already have a 3 saddle could i just buy the saddles? plus i like how it looks..old
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
i think so, but don't quote me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a tele without a three saddle bridge just isnt a proper tele. sorry, but thats just the way it is.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
^ That's like the idiotic "HSS aren't real Strats" argument. Guess what...if it says "Telecaster" on the headstock, it's a real Tele. Six saddle bridges are inherently better. That's just the way it is

I have no qualms about getting, say, a '52 RI with the modern bridge and switching option. The first Teles were kind of stupid. There's a reason they changed over the years.
Hi, I'm Peter
I agree, though I wouldn't like to say 6 is "better" than 3 (having not tried them head to head)... i know most of the tele gurus prefer 3, but then most strat gurus prefer SSS... and I know I argue in favour of HSS strats, a lot.

I'd go more along the lines of, "if you want true vintage strat tone, it's gotta be SSS, and if you want true vintage tele tone, it's gotta be 3 brass saddles...", but obviously if you just want a nice-sounding guitar, with more versatility, the others are fine, and certainly not "wrong"...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so i guess i'm leaning towards a six saddle since its easier..though i do like the look of the 3 like those wilkinson ones look good plus apparently they stay in tune better or something..anyone have any experience with one? oh also how does it work xD?
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
i've tried one of those wilkinson ones, not head to head with a normal 3-saddle one.

Basically, the normal saddles are straight, while those are offset, to help with the intonation (length of the string, basically). supposedly the offset ones are slightly more "in-tune"... though to be honest, i think with "normal" string gauges, you shouldn't have too many problems. i could be wrong though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All these bridges bolt directly to the body, so none "stays in tune" better than the other. The difference is intonation - setting up your guitar so that all the notes across the length of the neck are correct. This is infinitely easier with the 6 saddle bridge than the 3 saddle.
Hi, I'm Peter
that's what i meant by "in tune". I didn't mean staying in tune, i meant sounding "in-tune".

Sorry about the confusion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh! ok..clears things up a lot..mine has pretty good intonation already. the guy i bought it frmo set it up already as far as i checked..i think the problem now could be the tuning pegs or something because after a like one or two songs a few of the strings go out of tune with G probably the most significantly.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Oh, I didn't even notice you posted before me, Dave He's been talking about it "being in tune" for the whole thread.
Hi, I'm Peter

that's ok pete, no worries.

you mean it goes out of tune during the song, and if you retune, it gets better in tune, right? that could be dodgy stringing technique, your nut, etc... possibly even tuners too, though that's unlikely, I'd guess.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh sorry didnt know how to put it so i'm good with my 3 saddle right? its already setup i guess. but i need help with it keeping in tune. i thought it was saddles since i always read not so good things about the saddle.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
oh! @dave: yea i think it could be the stringing technique..it looks "unprofessional" for lack of a better term.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Page 1 of 2