It is either I replace my Edge 3 Tremolo with a Licensed Floyd Rose, upgrade the stock pickups, and block the tremolo so I can use different tunings on my Ibanez RG350EX, or buy a new fixed bridge guitar (Ibanez RGT42FXQM) with the same stock pickups and upgrade them later. Which would you choose?
Option 2.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by kyrreca
If you're gonna block the trem anyway, why do you want to replace it?

+1
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
"and block the tremolo so I can use different tunings on my Ibanez RG350EX"
What does blocking the trem have anything to do with changing tunings?
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by neon10th
"and block the tremolo so I can use different tunings on my Ibanez RG350EX"

But why do you need to buy an OFR just to block it? You could just block the Edge III and save yourself the hassle (and money).

Quote by FacingUsAll
What does blocking the trem have anything to do with changing tunings?
Because when you change tunings on a guitar with a floating trem, you have to set it up for that tuning. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do that (even though a lot of people seem to think so), but it's not something you want to be doing several times a day.
Last edited by kyrreca at Oct 24, 2007,
Wouldn't the tremolo screw up if I tuned down 1 step because the tension changed? Wouldn't the trem angle change, or am I wrong?
If you're going to replace an Edge-3 trem, don't replace it with a bloody licensed floyd rose, unless it's a Schaller, however you can get an OFR for a similar price.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85
Jackson Mark Morton Signature Primer

Amps -
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 Head
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Blackstart HT-Dual Valve Distortion
Quote by neon10th
Wouldn't the tremolo screw up if I tuned down 1 step because the tension changed? Wouldn't the trem angle change, or am I wrong?

That's true, but the whole point of blocking it is to stop this from happening. And you can do that with your Edge III, you don't have to replace it.
Last edited by kyrreca at Oct 24, 2007,
get a floyd rose or kahler with diff pickups
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
Quote by kyrreca
Because when you change tunings on a guitar with a floating trem, you have to set it up for that tuning. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do that (even though a lot of people seem to think so), but it's not something you want to be doing several times a day.

I think I just confused myself.

You don't need to replace the trem if you're going to block it. I'm pretty sure that's what I was trying to say from the beginning, but my brain decided to stop working.

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by neon10th
OK so I'll just block and upgrade my pickups. Thanks.

I bet you don't need new pickups. Seriously, I'd go for the new guitar. Increased versatility FTW.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

ya get a new guitar, the option 2 comes with EMG-designed, right?

and i would think that a LFR would be pretty equal to an Edge 3, but thats just what i hear
Quote by CORT noob
I bet you don't need new pickups. Seriously, I'd go for the new guitar. Increased versatility FTW.

+1

If you don't like your tone. Get a new amp or pedal. Pickups should be the last thing on your mind.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

True, but the stock pickups that come with the RG350EX are SO muddy. If I am behind a preamp and use a clean tone, it sounds extremely dirty if my guitar volume is set all the way up.

Quote by Tedward
ya get a new guitar, the option 2 comes with EMG-designed, right?

Nope. It comes with the same INF humbuckers as my RG350EX.
Last edited by neon10th at Oct 24, 2007,
Quote by neon10th
True, but the stock pickups that come with the RG350EX are SO muddy. If I am behind a preamp and use a clean tone, it sounds extremely dirty if my guitar volume is set all the way up.

Nope. It comes with the same INF humbuckers as my RG350EX.

What ample are you running it into?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Well, first I used a crappy 10 Watt Peavey Amp with just a Volume, Bass, and Treble. OK that was the amp's fault. Then, I used a Zoom Pedal (G2.1u) with 1000 (Yes, 1000) stereo system (500 watts for each speaker). When I record, I use a really good guitar effects processor for the computer (Guitar Rig 3) using regular computer speakers or headphones. I get the same results for all of these (except the Peavey does not count).
definately option 2..... +++++++++++1
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!