Okay, so I joined an existing band to replace their old lead guitarist, and they want to play Killing In The Name for our next high school open mic night. I don't like this. We can all play it reasonably well (solo is a little improvised because we don't have the equipment), thats not the problem.

The problem is that last year they covered Seven Nation Army and totally butchered it, thus earning a horrible reputation from the rest of the school. The next open mic night that year they played "three original songs all smooshed into one", furthering their reputation as a sucky, noobish band.

My concern is that if we play Killing In The Name people will assume it's awful before hearing it and I'll get a reputation as a bad guitarist, even if it's not me that's making it sounds bad, and even if it doesn't sound bad at all. (Though the rhythm guitarist's tone sucks and the drummer gets nervous in front of people.)

I told the rhythm guitarist/singer/"bandleader" that I thought it was a bad idea but spared his feelings and said it was a bad idea simply because "it's just one of those songs that people don't cover". He told me that I shouldn't care so much about what other people think, and just play for fun. I agree, I'd just like to not have people think I suck in the process.

I dunno, maybe I'm being completely ridiculous and unfair, but I honestly think that nobody in the audience would enjoy us play Killing In The Name.

..What are your thoughts? =\
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

I personally wouldn't want to play it a t an open mic night, it's not really very accesible (as much as I love the song!).

If you really have to play it, just try and throw loads of virtuoso stuff in to make at least you look awesome.

Good luck with it too!
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
ummmmmmm...leave or be seriosly ill before open mic
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
by reasonably well, im assuming ur not playing it to the best of ur abilities, so i would say play something else, cuz u dont wanna play something just "alrite" in front of a crowd, u hear me?
Quote by FooFighter1927
ok...so if your bandmates suck and they are a cover band, why did you join?

They have some original stuff going, but it's not that great.

I joined because I wanted the experience of playing in a band setting. I've never been in a full on band before, but I jam with other musicians as much as possible. Which is why I don't want to leave the band, I really want to play with other musicians on a regular basis. I can find other guitarists to jam with, but it's hard to find bassists and drummers who can keep a beat where I live.

And I'm not claiming to be incredible at guitar, I've only been playing for two years. But I'm better technically than the other guitarist, and know far more music theory than anyone else in the band.

Quote by steveo54
by reasonably well, im assuming ur not playing it to the best of ur abilities, so i would say play something else, cuz u dont wanna play something just "alrite" in front of a crowd, u hear me?

Well, today was our first band practice where we practiced the song. We made it through with some difficulties. It's not the technical aspect thats getting us, someone always manages to forget what part comes next. The open mic night is somewhere around 3 months away, I'm sure we would have it down by then.

The rhythm guitarist/singer is a pretty stubborn dude, does anyone have any ideas about how I could get him to change his mind?
Quote by cubedeathk

Last edited by QuiteTheFellow at Oct 24, 2007,
Quote by Ht666
Bribe (money?)

or say we can do RATM but after can I pick my song

I can't bribe him, because then he'll ask why I don't want to do it and I'll be forced to tell him how much they sucked last year. I want to spare their feelings, if possible.

As for picking a song to do after RATM, that's a good idea, thanks. But I really want to not have to play RATM at all, but I suppose that might be asking too much, having only been in the band for three weeks or so.
Quote by cubedeathk

Why do you **** worry about what will people think???

Be real punxorz rebel!
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by QuiteTheFellow
I can't bribe him, because then he'll ask why I don't want to do it and I'll be forced to tell him how much they sucked last year. I want to spare their feelings, if possible.

As for picking a song to do after RATM, that's a good idea, thanks. But I really want to not have to play RATM at all, but I suppose that might be asking too much, having only been in the band for three weeks or so.

Are you only playing one song for the gig?

If not do 1 that they want to do and 1 you want to do like I just said.

Quote by DarTHie
Why do you **** worry about what will people think???

Be real punxorz rebel!

None of us are punk, I'm not sure why our rhythm guitarist/singer wants to do RATM haha.

Quote by Ht666
Are you only playing one song for the gig?

If not do 1 that they want to do and 1 you want to do like I just said.

Okay, I'll try that, thanks.
Quote by cubedeathk

I'm sarcastic with punxorz rebel part.
I used reference to punk as rebelious music genre.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
If the band has a bad reputation, the audience is gonna assume anything you're going to play sucks.
Do they realize what their reputation is at this point? You may just want to be honest with them while they still have time to improve.
umm ok....u shoudnt have joined the band in the first place. i dot know what ur problem is, killing in the name of is an easy song to cover.."reasonably well"? u should be able to ace that song. i dont know why u wouldnt want to cover ratm anyway, they are kickass, sound great, and awesome fun to play.. my personal favourite cover is know you enemy by ratm.
Maintain a professional attitude? Slash never wanted to play Sweet Child O' Mine, but he still did it.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
oh ahhha btw HOW THE HEL COULD THEY **** UP SEVEN NATION ARMY???????? is that not the most the amauerish and easy cover song out there? but the audience loves it anyway?? WTF!! whos with me?
To be fair I think if they are crap you should probably tell them and kick there arses in to gear.
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
What equipment can you possibly need for the solo other than a guitar? If you have enough skill, just tremelo pick the notes you'd use the whammy on.
why would you join a band with a bad reputation? unless that was your only choice.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12