im trying to formulate my own practice routine. what do you guys do?
Arbor A410 Bass
Dinosaur 20 Watt Bass Amp
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Squier Bullet

Excuse me sir, have you been thinking tonight?
15 mins - warm up (chromatic scale 1-2-3-4 etc)
1 hour - economy picking, legato, downpicking etc
1 hour - learning/playing songs
3 hour improvisation
1 hour learn something ^_^

atleast that's what i did today...
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
screw routines! I go in my room and pick up my guitar and just plain old play. routines are boring and also homosexual. if theres something in a song im not very good at then I'll practice it but i would NEVER follow a routine
jam, learn songs, learn techniques when a song needs it
all in all about 5 hours a day (and forgetten homework sitting in a dusty backpack )
I start as soon as i get home from school. My practice routine is as follows: 1) Attempt to play the song I've been humming all day without using tab because im too lazy to look it up and print it out 2) Get fed up with that after i can only play the chorus section, one other verse and 3/4 of the solo, and don't know half the lyrics, and switch to jamming to some chord progressions (usually with the blues scale) 3) Get fed up with that and just fool around trying to invent chords and discover scales and end up not actually playing anything coherent until i come back to my senses and realize i am not really playing anything at all 4) And that's when i put my guitar back in its case and do my homework. I've progressed a lot.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
I start out by warming up, then learning/playing fun songs. It's good to start out having fun so you'll have a good practice. THen, I start messing around with scales, solos, and chords. I just kind of mess around until I have something I like and go with that for a while. Then I do finger exercies while watching TV, unless they focus on something like accuracy; then I try to concentrate. Than I go back to playing around with songs. Oh, and whenever I'm not by my guitar and I'm bored, I draw out the circle of fifths, write down all of the chords for a certain key, and write random series of chords. Then, the next time I'm with my guitar, I play them .
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
i just play randomly a lot of times when im going sleep before i lay down i mess around for like an hour
Quote by whatadrag
screw routines! I go in my room and pick up my guitar and just plain old play. routines are boring and also homosexual. if theres something in a song im not very good at then I'll practice it but i would NEVER follow a routine

I see a great guitarist in this person someday.. just keep not following that routine.. after all I'm sure Kirk Hammet never followed a routine either
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
play rhythm parts of tornado of souls, seek and destroy, creeping death and master of puppets for downpicking practice, then move on to playing the ionian, mixolydian and dorian modes at steadily increasing sixteenth note speeds with a metronome and economy picking, finally learn a song that i like a lot but havent learned, memorized yet. nothing else matters at the moment
Quote by pucci6d6
jam, learn songs, learn techniques when a song needs it
all in all about 5 hours a day (and forgetten homework sitting in a dusty backpack )

Ahhhh...I can see just see it in about 30 years...

"I wish I had done better in school...if I had only known ... I just keep getting passed over for promotions...so what if the other guy I am up against has a Masters in Business Administration...does that make him any better than me?"

But then again, maybe you are good enough to be in the ranks of {fill in great guitarist here}. The odds are...well, you know. Even some of the greats have an education to fall back on.

Brian May (Queen) - PhD in Astronomy
James Lilja - (Offspring) MD of Gynecological Oncology
Art Garfunkel - Masters Degree in Mathematics
Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave) - Harvard University, graduated in Political Science

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Chris
Last edited by RCShadow at Oct 26, 2007,