Page 1 of 3
How the hell do you come up with a band name?

I am a little anxious seeing as this is my first band and i think we sound pretty good. We wanted something short with as few syllables as possible. I dont see how bands like "The Red Jump Suite Apparatus" get there names. Its just retarded sounding. Anyone have any suggestions? Band name generator sucks balls btw....
What kind of band are you? I can't suggest "Terminodeath 5000" if you play country.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
how do you come up with a name? find something interesting. it it fits with the genre you play, do it. there's no guidelines or guidebook.

just creativity.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Our band just had the same problem. We all came up with ideas, but it seemed that only we thought it was great and not everyone else. It takes time, be patient. It should come to you soon!

BTW, we FINALLY settled on "Colour Concept". Opinions?
i wrote down a whole bunch of words that would match our music style and cam up with a name using those
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

MY STUFF
-Ibanez limited edition RG electric guitar
-Digitech RP250 multi effects
-Digitech DF-7Distortion Factory
-Marshall MG100 half stack
Quote by carlyroxmysox
Our band just had the same problem. We all came up with ideas, but it seemed that only we thought it was great and not everyone else. It takes time, be patient. It should come to you soon!

BTW, we FINALLY settled on "Colour Concept". Opinions?

I do like the name. Remind me of Living Colour, which was a great band. Keep the name.

We play rock with some punk. Im just drawing a blank....i have no idea. Its annoying when people ask what do you do? And i say, im in a band. Oh really, whats the name? We dont have one......(end of conversation).
Quote by dogismycopilot

I am a little anxious seeing as this is my first band and i think we sound pretty good. We wanted something short with as few syllables as possible. I dont see how bands like "The Red Jump Suite Apparatus" get there names. Its just retarded sounding. Anyone have any suggestions? Band name generator sucks balls btw....

The red jumpsuit apparatus said they got their name from a line in a Snoop Dog song
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Try keeping a notebook and writing down as many cool words/phrases that you encounter during the day, and see where it takes you after a week. If inspiration still isn't setting in, try a line from your favorite movie or book. It gives it a personal touch, as opposed to the whole random dictionary words process.

Also, just curious, did you get your username from the bumper sticker in the Valve Store that says "D0g Is My CoPilot"?
Quote by Ultraturtle0
Try keeping a notebook and writing down as many cool words/phrases that you encounter during the day, and see where it takes you after a week. If inspiration still isn't setting in, try a line from your favorite movie or book. It gives it a personal touch, as opposed to the whole random dictionary words process.

Also, just curious, did you get your username from the bumper sticker in the Valve Store that says "D0g Is My CoPilot"?

I wouldnt know it was a line from a snoop dog song because i hate rap more than anything.

As far as my name, yea, i it from then bumper sticker. Just because during that time period it was "god will save us" this and "jesus" that. I just dont give a ****.

Yea, ive been trying to work on a name for months. Nothing is settling in. I have no idea. Ill just put it in the hands of my other band members.
make a reference to something that you think is awesome. I suggested the name Karate Chop Action for my ska band because I think that Toy Story is kickass.
A band of my very own:

Pyknic
My bands name is The Guitar Sticks. It has a great story behind it.
After our first gig we satyed up till 2am playin guitar hero, and i was trying to play
Carry On My Wayward Son with the game and I turned to my drummer and said,"Can you hand me my guitar stick." I meant to say pick. Thats how we got our name.
Founder of the "Make Your Own Freakin' Setlist Club"
All the ideas I've had for a band name came from reading. I haven't had a chance to use any.

But if I'm reading and I find an interesting phrase or word, I'll think, "that could make a good band name if I had a band."

True story.
I thought of the band name "security" which i thought up after Superbad. And "Contraband". Security was thrown out cause everyone else hated it, but im really pushing for Contraband. I know that it was VR's album name, but i love it so much. No harm in taking the name, people do it all the time. Tell me if im wrong.
Basically, just throw random words together that sound cool. Write down any ideas you have. My band brainstormed on an off for the first two months we played together, and finally came up with a name we all liked the day before our first gig.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Finding a name is one thing. Finding a name that NOONE else has is rediculously hard.

A thing you can do is take your favorite book, movie. or video game, and name your band after a random minor character/item/object/place of little to no importance.
open a book. any book. go to page 68. line 12. use the 3rd - 4th or 5th words. lol. thats what we did and ended up with halogen lights.
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah well the Nazi Horn conquers the French Horn in two weeks.

Halogen Lights
My bands name is taken from Damage Inc. - Metallica.

All I did was change "Blood will follow blood" to "And Blood Will Follow", and voila you have my band's name.
Came up with my name more as a personal joke/attack on myself for being so lazy about getting things done, Evernothing, coming up with that name actually motivated me actually do something...

Everything others have said is great, basically try not to think about it so much but keep your eyes and ears peeled whenever you see/hear something cool. Lots of bands are named from movies/books. good luck to ya!
What everyone else said, keeping in mind the following:

- you don't want something that no one can figure out how to pronounce. I know I would never tell someone my favourite band is !!! (that is an actual band)

- it shouldn't be too long (such as ...and You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - when I first heard that I thought it was a song by a band called The Trail of Dead, but the whole thing is their name).

- we all know cliches are dumb and make people think that you're just like every other band in your genre

And from personal experience: I was in a band last year called Embrace the Chaos. It came from the lead guitarist's history teacher talking about how people with messy rooms tend to make more money in the future, or something like that.
I like to think band names can come from anywhere without you thinking about it at all. My first major band got our name from some random girl we met in mcdonalds at our first jam session. Her name was Amber Sanns, but i didnt want to use e in our name so we made it Ambyr Sanns and weve actually got some good responses from that name. But yeh, just take something you think is nothing, and turn it into something that has meaning.
As the angel kisses me once again
You scream poison as you glare
Your bow and arrow by your side
As if you cared

It's a mour......astral congregation
why not just use 'dog is my copilot'? it's original, already has a story behind it, and somewhat expresses a political view (or at least humor) which is a large part of music, especially punk.

btw, you have the coolest sig ever
Thanks for the comment on my sig.....my dad loves it too. I look very political because of my name and the sig, but honestly i couldnt hate any of that stuff anymore.
Quote by fretmaster91
My bands name is The Guitar Sticks. It has a great story behind it.
After our first gig we satyed up till 2am playin guitar hero, and i was trying to play
Carry On My Wayward Son with the game and I turned to my drummer and said,"Can you hand me my guitar stick." I meant to say pick. Thats how we got our name.

hahahaha, good story
you can also get good band names from songs that you've written, thats how my band got the name final moment, my lead guitarist/co-founder/songwriter was writing a song and he called it final moment then he realized it'd be a good band name so we got the other names we thought up, like his sister thought up, winds of change, then i was thinking, shattering interruption (or something, interruption) and then we kept asking girls which one they preferred and it was always final moment so we went with final moment which actually works cause we're a post-grunge/alternative rock/math band
mine is technically 1/0, it came out of an argument with a teacher in 4th grade (long story)
hahaha love it, i remember my older brothers band was called. craven arrest, because he and a couple friends had gone to the craven country jamboree to party (we're in saskatchewan, its a big music thing here) and there was a bit of a mixup with the law and one of his friends got arrested so they called themselves craven arrest...
My band's name, "Black Intent", along with the basis of every song of ours, came to me in a dream after my cousin passed away.

The dream was my ex-best friend yelling at me, and I'm sitting in a jail cell. He was screaming, "why do you always have to **** up? Why are your intentions black?" or something like that and I was like wow.
Hmm. Well its funny that you say that. My friend and i had a costume party we were attending and after we stopped for a burrito. We asked some girl sitting next to us whether she liked any of our names. Its between Doctor Manhattan, and Contraband; i am still trying to think of more names. She said "I like Doctor Contraband". We then left.......
haha you should actually try doctor contraband, ask some more chicks if they like that and say, do you like doctor manhattan, contraband, or...doctor contraband...and just ask a whole bunch that and whatever one gets the most "i love that one"s then thats the one to go with lol
I got my band name from a friends wallpaper. We was thinking of what it could be and i was counting lines that was on the wallpaper, i counted six, and here we are with Six Lines (or 6Lines). But i really want to do Speed/Thrash metal so Six Lines really doesnt sound that well fast does it?
Damn man I feel you, We Used to have the bandname Oblivious Existence (Gothic, Metal, and some other weird stuff in there) but we are looking for something better. And about that Doctor Contraband stuff... let the audience speak :P

@ Guitar Obsessed; Six Lines remidns me of drug use :S
how 'bout Jerry Jake and the Snack Cakes?

or Sugar Sex and the Smear Tests?

or Uncle Noam and the Fun Foam
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by pandora_grunt

@ Guitar Obsessed; Six Lines remidns me of drug use :S

Haha i see what you mean. It might serve a rapper better then me
Quote by BrianApocalypse
how 'bout Jerry Jake and the Snack Cakes?

or Sugar Sex and the Smear Tests?

or Uncle Noam and the Fun Foam

If i could ban you i would......haha
Quote by dogismycopilot

a lot of times i think its just random unplaned situations. like for instance my friends came up with their name because they drove by a sign that said "garge sale" instead of garage sale and they were like wtf is a garge lol? and after that they named their band garge. and it actually suited their music pretty well.

usually when you try to come up with names they never come too well. its usually when you arent trying.
Page 1 of 3