Ok, so a while ago my boyfriend put a bunch of coins on top of my amp and a couple fell through the slot.

Anyway, Last two times I tried using it it made a banging sound, first time there was a bang but it worked fine, though I think there may have been a slight burning smell for a little while, I forget. But the last time I used it it there was no sound, no nothing.

Was thinking about opening it up, getting the coins out and it'll be fine, or do you think it could be permanantly damaged?

So0o... Any ideas?

Btw, it's very late, I'm very tired and I've not seen my amp in a while so if this post is retarded andmakes no sense, I apologise.

(Vox AD50VT)
Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
DoGaLog, i think youv jst owned everyone on this thread and well done.
nope, sounds like u got your self a new piggy bank
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
I've lost many coins and picks to my AD30VT, but can't say it's ever done that... Hmm...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd suggest opening it up and getting the coins out for a start. There's only one little AX7 preamp valve so that's unlikely that's the problem! Check it anyway, if it looks blackened or anything it might have taken a hit Inspect the circuit boards for anything that looks burnt-out or out of place, like a loose wire or resistor.Also ,work out if the power's coming on or not - there's a small chance a coin may have briefly short-circuited the amp and blown the fuse...
If you can't spot anything or you're unsure, take it to an amp repairer.
Quote by kyle62
I'd suggest opening it up and getting the coins out for a start. There's only one little AX7 preamp valve so that's unlikely that's the problem! Check it anyway, if it looks blackened or anything it might have taken a hit Inspect the circuit boards for anything that looks burnt-out or out of place, like a loose wire or resistor.Also ,work out if the power's coming on or not - there's a small chance a coin may have briefly short-circuited the amp and blown the fuse...
If you can't spot anything or you're unsure, take it to an amp repairer.

Thought as much, Cheers.

Quote by Idiot_Son
i went to the pub. the look on the bartenders faces when they realised theyd been serving me alcohol illegally for the past two years was priceless.

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
Take the coint out. It might be touching things and shorting them.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Or, next time, don't make your boyfriend pay for sex.

If he paid me for sex I'd be sodding rich, love lol.

And as for dumping him for it, nah, bit harsh is it not? Lol, though I did call him up all angry saying I'd kill him. Well I did tell him not to do it.

Take the coint out. It might be touching things and shorting them.

Yea, I thought it may just be screwing things up while it's in there, I doubt it'll permanently break, it's not like it didn't work just after. Just when I moved it the second time it banged so I was thinking maybe the coin moved and dropped on to something.
Quote by Idiot_Son

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
Last edited by DoGaLoG at Oct 27, 2007,
Are you sure those vents go into the tech-y bit of the amp?

I dropped some coins on my vc30 and i was like "OH NOES!" and then realised that the vents dont lead there, just above the speaker
Quote by philipisabeast
Are you sure those vents go into the tech-y bit of the amp?

I dropped some coins on my vc30 and i was like "OH NOES!" and then realised that the vents dont lead there, just above the speaker

I've got no idea to be honest, I've never tried to find out. Hence why I put up the amp and whatnot because I was hoping someone who'd opened it up would know.

If it's not the coin that caused the random **** up then I'm a bit more worried that something's just died and will be a bugger to fix.
Quote by Idiot_Son

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
well take a look i nthe back of it, it may be that it just dropped past the speaker, but otherwise, just take the vent off and fish the coinage out
The vents actually do go into the amplifier bit, I've lost the odd pick in there and had to open it up before. They really need to redesign those vents, though.
Quote by cokeisbetter
The vents actually do go into the amplifier bit, I've lost the odd pick in there and had to open it up before. They really need to redesign those vents, though.

I don't mean the bit at the front. Though that gets annoying, I lost a ring down it once, that was irritating to get out.

Nah, I mean the bit (on top) by the controls, there's a tiny slot. (bottom of the pic)
Quote by Idiot_Son

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
I never put coins or small things NEAR my amp.

But then again I have coke can rings on the top of it.. :s
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by guitarist_with_
I never put coins or small things NEAR my amp.

But then again I have coke can rings on the top of it.. :s

Lol, neither do I, which is partly why I was pissed off.

And it's pretty new so I'm thinking (hoping, lol) it's more to do with the coins.
Quote by Idiot_Son

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
hey how is the AD50VT im gunna buy either that or the 30 watt model within a few weeks and i want to know if i should save more for the 50 if it is worth it. i make really grunge rock.
Were you playing loudly after the coins fell in there? if so you may have cracked the tube in the pre amp
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
Were you playing loudly after the coins fell in there? if so you may have cracked the tube in the pre amp

Nope, it was at a pretty quiet-moderate level.
If I remember right I put the sound right down and brought it up slowly because someone was asleep in the room next door.

Quote by maca-venagas
hey how is the AD50VT im gunna buy either that or the 30 watt model within a few weeks and i want to know if i should save more for the 50 if it is worth it. i make really grunge rock.

It's a good amp.

Lol just go read the reviews.
Quote by Idiot_Son

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
Quote by FRDesign
I think theres no problem with the coins at all.

I think you need a new 12ax7 Tube.

Yes.....small bits of conductive metal falling onto electrical components and circuit paths is absolutely not a bad thing at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yes.....small bits of conductive metal falling onto electrical components and circuit paths is absolutely not a bad thing at all.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
No reason to revive the thread other than I got it sorted.

And made 41p out of it.
Quote by Idiot_Son

Quote by stiff-upper-lip
Quote by Denthúl
Wish I could get money out of my amp...

Start busking?
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
Nah...I'm crap, mate. People would probably end up throwing sandwiches and shoeboxes at me. Or cups of coffee from the café...that would burn
Opening up an AD amp is easy; its just a lot of **** work taking out all the screws. Getting the coin out it fairly easy (I had a similar problem with the same amp).

The amp itself it probably fine. Even if its not it a fairly easy to fix (as long as its a physical part that's broken and not a damaged pcb or rom).
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/