So i came across some stuff that a friend told me about the other day, wow its freaky stuff. The first one is called the Shepard's Scale. It has a bunch of octaves looping the same pitches so that it sounds like a scale that goes up or down forever, but it actaully is the same repeated pitches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepard%27s_tone

Listen, it is so weird.

The other is the Tritone Paradox. It is really hard to explain what it is, and even i dont understand it all the way. But basically, the change in the pitches can be heard as going up or down, but never both at the same time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone_paradox

It may sound ok when you listen, but ask someone else to tell you if they think its going up or down, and then try and hear the other one, it is weird ****e.

There are links to hear both of these at the wiki sites.

Discuss! and if anyone knows of anymore auditory illusions let me know cause these kick ass!
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
the first one, it sounds like it goes down forever yet it is always the same pitches, and for the 2nd one, if you scroll down on the wiki page at the bottom there is a link to listen
gone." - J.Lansdowne
The first one sounds like an airplane flying over head...not too interesting

The second one is just cool because when you play it at full speed and switch the freq. back and forth it sounds like a creepy circus.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
The second one was extremely annoying.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
yea the second one you need to have someone else listen to it and make them tell y ou if they think the pitch is going up or down, cause you can apparently hear both. i usually hear it going up, but some people i know hear them all going down
gone." - J.Lansdowne
yea to you, but to someone else, it honestly sounds different. like from the first pitch to the second, to you it may sound l ike it goes up, but to others it may go down. if you listen with the intent of hearing it go down, you should be able to. or vice versa
gone." - J.Lansdowne
The first one is really cool. I want to use it as an intro to a song or something. Second one... I don't get it... It's just annoying. What is it with that? I know what a tri-tone is - augmented 4th/diminished 5th, but what's up with this thing?
ok the thing with the 2nd one is you can hear the 2nd pitch of the two as either going up or down, but never both. ask someone else to listen to it, and theyll probably tell you the opposite of what your hearing. and if you get your self to listen for the oposite you will probably hear it
gone." - J.Lansdowne
no problem. this stuff is so interesting to me
gone." - J.Lansdowne