Page 1 of 2
getting a standard strat soon cannot decide over sss or hss what do u guys personally think its better?
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
I love the bridge single coil, I would prefer if it came in SSH.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
if you want versatility, HSS, if this is strictly cleans and blues and whatnot, SSS
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by rhakiath
I love the bridge single coil, I would prefer if it came in SSH.

I would agree. HSH would fit my needs though, or just HH, but I would go with HSS strat. I just like humbuckers cuz I have never had a good guitar that had them.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
actually, get a tele.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
im one of few who doesnt know whats the difference....

please someone explain it to me
^ HSS means there is a humbucker in the bridge position, single coil in the middle single coil in the neck

SSS is all single coil pups
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
if you want versatility, HSS, if this is strictly cleans and blues and whatnot, SSS

I don't know if I would just restrict SSS for blues and clean; I use mine for everything ranging from clean to blues to rock. I personally think that the SSS is very versatile.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
HSS, the single coil bridge pickup on standard strats is nothing special.
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
^ HSS means there is a humbucker in the bridge position, single coil in the middle single coil in the neck

SSS is all single coil pups

ooo... H=humbucker

so simple...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FSR-72-Tele-Deluxe?sku=517586

get something like this used, or try the standard tele for 400.

Honestly even being a fender man myself I can't recommend the standard strat to you being a metal guy(apparently) look into theIbanez or Epiphone models.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

Quote by Lil Macker
or was it 9...
yeah 10
im more into playing blink and heavier **** but ive always wanted a fender strat its like my dream guitar i guess u can say, i have the opportunity now and im gonna go for it im just wondering what would be better for punk music and a little metal here and there
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
I think the HSS would be better. The Humbucker would give you more distortion and a better tone overall.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
HSS. BTW you do a coil tap and get a single coil sound from the Humbucker. Push/pull on the Tone Knob can do the trick.
Quote by petey gunnz
im more into playing blink and heavier **** but ive always wanted a fender strat its like my dream guitar i guess u can say, i have the opportunity now and im gonna go for it im just wondering what would be better for punk music and a little metal here and there

Then HSS. Come on!!! It's not hard... Tom has a humbucker in bridge position.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by elekguit
I think the HSS would be better. The Humbucker would give you more distortion and a better tone overall.

It might be subjective but it's also wrong.

I recommend SSS always. While HSS are admittedly very versatile, I prefer not to mud up my sound with humbucking technology - the one exception being minibuckers, which are capable of surprising clarity.

Anyway as others have said teles look and sound way cooler anyway.
I'm definately a strat purist. If I was gonna get a strat, it would only ever be SSS.

Old school
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by petey gunnz

Blink isn't that heavy, Single coils are good for punk as well.
Quote by Dudage
I'm definately a strat purist. If I was gonna get a strat, it would only ever be SSS.

Old school

**** i agree it doesnt look right with the hss not half as sexy with the sss purists for life
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
Quote by petey gunnz
**** i agree it doesnt look right with the hss not half as sexy with the sss purists for life

Single coil humbucker should do you then.
^they look uglier.

i like SSS. when HSS, humbucker is a little higher output, and i don't like the bridge being so high output. this thread is really subjective though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by fruity mcgee
HSS, the single coil bridge pickup on standard strats is nothing special.

I love the bridge single.

SSS for me. I hate neck buckers BTW also.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I admittedly like the looks of the SSS Strats better, but the good thing about the humbucker on my HSS MIJ Strat is that it really doesn't sound much different than a single coil, just lower noise and higher output. I guess its not the most powerful humbucker, or maybe its just the Japanese got it right, preserving most of the sound of an orthodox Strat while giving the humbuck option. Got a Floyd on it too. Some would say its not a real Strat, but if you close your eyes you would have trouble hearing the difference. The place where the humbucker makes the most difference is when used with high distortion. Don't know how the MIJ and MIA HSS Strats sound. I would try them to make sure its what you want.
SSS for me too. Really versatile on my MIA strat and you can roll down the highs on the bridge pickup so you can still play metal if you want to. The single in the bridge is great for funk (RHCP etc.) as well as classic rock. However I do have a strat with a Humbucker in the bridge but I find its not really to my taste as it doesnt seems as versatile.

EDIT: Dont some strats have coil tap on bridge humbuckers? Would be great for all rouns versatility.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Try each one out. I prefer the sound of humbuckers but the look of three singles on a strat is sweet!

EDIT: I think only the american Deluxe strat has the coil tap. You could do it yourself though.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by ECistheBest
^they look uglier.

i like SSS. when HSS, humbucker is a little higher output, and i don't like the bridge being so high output. this thread is really subjective though.

Haha

I have a mini humbucker, 14k output. It's noticably hotter, and with a 500k pot it still gets decent cleans. Sounds much nicer distorted. MUCH nicer. Brighter than the stock single though, I assume because of the 500k. Nice pickup anyway

HSS or MiniHSS
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Alijonroth
HSS with a coil tap,cant ask for more,lol!

+1
A HSS guitar would give you superior versatillity. And then I'm not talking about this kind of versatillity: single coil cleans---->Some moderate gain hard rock, I'm talking about single coil cleans---->High Gain br00talz. You could never achieve that with SSS.
i would get the sss strat and replace the bridge pickup with some dimarzio or seymour duncan single coil sized humbucker. looks just way cooler you know?
I would go with an SSS because I feel it kinda defeats the purpose of buying a strat for a fatter, less clean tone in the bridge. It's not really strat like.

That being said, if you like Fender because they have a great feel to them and you do like their tone in general; for rock, punk and metal, an HSS would be more up your alley.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
For this particular threadstarter asking the question I'v got to say HSS.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by petey gunnz

I just have to say something real quick.

Blink is not punk. At all. They are not, never have been and never will be.

Anyways, I would go with HSS.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by Guitarmike123
+1
A HSS guitar would give you superior versatillity. And then I'm not talking about this kind of versatillity: single coil cleans---->Some moderate gain hard rock, I'm talking about single coil cleans---->High Gain br00talz. You could never achieve that with SSS.

Split humbuckers don't sound like single coils; nor do tapped ones.

It's also a pet peeve of mine when people post reviews of the guitar and note that the push-pull coil-split makes it sound "just like a vintage strat". No. It doesn't.
Page 1 of 2