I've been working on songwriting recently, and all I can come up with are either power chords or full chords. I've discovered a few other combinations that sound slightly different... For example:

----------------------------------------
-----5----------7------------5----------
-----3----------8------------6----------
-----3----------8------------3----------

These are fine for rhythm guitar (but other ideas are more than welcome), but I have trouble writing lead parts. I honestly don't listen to that much riff-based music. Could anyone suggest a band with lots of riff based songs, or suggestions for inspiration? I primarily listen to RHCP, AC/DC, Joe Satriani (but his songwriting is way, way beyond my skill. Or lack thereof.), White Stripes, The Raconteurs (pretty much White Stripes guitar parts), Louis XIV (or other comparable garage-rock bands), etc.

I've been starting to study Hendrix's playing style recently, and I'll probably pick up one of his albums soon, because, alas, I do not own any.

So any suggestions to help my songwriting?

Fake EDIT: My biggest guitar influences would probably have to be John Fruciante and Jack White. I might be forgetting someone here... but I'll edit after if I find someone else

Fake EDIT 2: I just realized that the contents of this topic really jump all over the place. Sorry.
I also love John Frusciante and Jack White. The first thing I think of when thinking about Riff-based songs would be Rage Against The Machine.
You said Satch right? Have you really tried to understand how he writes his songs? Try really understanding, it should help your theory knowledge by huge amounts if nothing else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I've heard a few RATM songs, like Guerrilla Radio and Bullet to the Head (I think it's called). To be honest, the vocals kind of ruin it for me. I'm not really into the yelling and rapping. In certain song situations, that's fine, yelling works (Guerrilla Radio I do like, the vocals suit it perfectly), but I can't stand it otherwise.

I don't mean to stereotype the band that way though, because I honestly haven't heard much of their music. I'll look up a few songs.

Thanks for the quick reply, too
Are you looking for new bands, to help learn new styles?
If so really check out these bands:

The Fall of Troy
At the drive-in
Mouth Movements
The Mars Volta
Pelican

They may help you think of different ways to play, if you get what im saying. Your best luck is to go to Myspace music and search for these bands. The're somewhat underground.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
I just got done listening to Bulls on Parade, and I love the turntable-esque stuff Morello does. Now I'm listening to Sleep Now In The Fire, and it amazes me, to say the least. Thanks a lot mate, I'll definitely check them out now.

Quote by Gothkoss
Are you looking for new bands, to help learn new styles?
If so really check out these bands:

The Fall of Troy
At the drive-in
Mouth Movements
The Mars Volta
Pelican

They may help you think of different ways to play, if you get what im saying. Your best luck is to go to Myspace music and search for these bands. The're somewhat underground.

The Fall of Troy I've heard of, but never heard. Will look them up.

At The Drive In I respect, but they are seriously too heavy for me.
Wait, maybe I take that back. Just looked up a few songs on Youtube, I guess I got the wrong impression. I still don't care for the vocals that much, but I'll look them up too.

Mars Volta: I've heard a few songs by them ever since I heard Omar Rodriguez do the solo to Especially In Michigan by RHCP. They're pretty good, any album recommendations you got for a newcomer?

Mouth Movements and Pelican I've honestly never heard of, but I'll look them up.

Oh, and I've seen video lessons with Satch, but to be honest, they're way over my head. I mean, I understand what he says when he modulates from G to C# and improvs a Phrygian Dominant, but from a songwriting aspect, I can't apply it.
The Mars Volta, you would probably like Frances The Mute album.

At the drive-in and The mars volta are practicly the same band.
When At the drive-in split, half went to The Mars Volta, half to Sparta.

I know the people in Mouth Movements very well, one grad. from my school last year. They went on a 42 state tour over the summer. There very very good.

If you like Pelican, look up Ocoai.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10
Sorry, Pelican are kind of heavy for me.

Fall of Troy I just looked up; the guitar work and drums are fantastic, but the screaming just kind of ruins it for me. Specifically, one of the songs I liked was What Sound Does A Mastodon Make?

I'm on Mouth Movements' myspace page now, they're really good.
I was guessing Pelican would be.
I forgot to add a band to that list.

Junius

Mouth Movements, they're so good. They use lots of Delay, Reverb, and Pitch Shifters(Octave changers)(Digitech Whammy, Boss Pitch Shifter)
This is the music I play and I absolutly love it.
Ibanez JetKing II
Dean Caddy
line 6 spider III 15
Ibanez PM7
boss dd20
EH metal muff
crate gx-15
crate gx-120
yamaha rbx-170
oscar schmidt ob100b
dean markley k-20bx
carvin pb100-10