Page 1 of 2
I'm sitting here after just getting back from a jam with my band. I'm watching Jimi Hendrix play woodstock. I often try to play like Jimi, or at least convey emotion *through* the guitar as he does in his his oh so special way. But I'm missing something. When Jimi plays his guitar it has so much power, he only has to play a blues lick with his mouth open and it sounds like he's putting all the emotion his has into it. When I play a blues lick it just sounds really clean and neat and not how I want it, even with my mouth open!

I want to know where his power comes from. I love it. I want it!

I've tried things like cranking distortion, buying a big muff, playing strats through marshall amps in shops (I have a les paul). Ofcourse, I never get the effect I'm looking for.

I've come to the conclusion (as it's the only thing I'm currently unable to test) that the sound comes from cranking the hell out of a decent quality amp and playing as much like Jimi as possible. But honestly, that's just a guess. Could someone please enlighten me...!

P.S. The thing I'm looking for is NOT a wah pedal =)
Well your not Hendrix.
so that may be the thing your missing.
but I don't know about finding his tone.
I'm not that big in figuring out other people's tone.
There's a place where a depth charge ignites.
Hendriz gets his power from acid...if you can, aquire some monterrey purple it was his fave.

(a wah also helps, believe it or not, as does a 59 strat[trust me, my friends the next jimi hendrix, cept he's not black he's asian] and a Marshall full-stack)
You need to be Jimi. Doesn't matter what gear you have. To get that special vibe and feel to his music, you need to have his fingers. Acid, a '59 Strat, etc, that missing something is with Jimi himself. For tone, a guitar with mid to low output single coils of some kind, a Marshall, a fuzz Face, and a good Wah will get you close tonally.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Hendriz gets his power from acid...if you can, aquire some monterrey purple it was his fave.

(a wah also helps, believe it or not, as does a 59 strat[trust me, my friends the next jimi hendrix, cept he's not black he's asian] and a Marshall full-stack)

Well there you go, you dont have to be jimi, just Asian.
Oops I came across a little wrong in my post. I don't want to be Jimi, I don't want to sound like Jimi, and I don't want his tone.

I simply want the 'messyness' of his equipment. Many players have it. Jimi's not creating it through his playing. It's there, and he's using it. If someone like Pete Townsend played through Jimi's equipment it would still have what I'm looking for.

I don't want to buy a strat, marshall stack and fuzz face because like I said I don't actually want his tone. Although I guess all those things in combination could be the sound I'm looking for, but it seems more likely to me that a 50 year old strat is probably the cause, especially when compared to my one year old les paul.
you'll never get the same emotion in other musician's music i don't think, making the song your own, playing it your way and just slightly altering it may give you better results, idk, i'm not the most amazing player or anything, but i like adding my own things i like to do to songs

EDIT: herm...i think single coils in general get that kinda messy feel like that, my schecter has coil tap's, and it actually gets a really good single coil sound, it has that messy sound you're talking about, that 'vibe', it's making me want a strat now, lol
Last edited by Chad11491 at Oct 24, 2007,
Try playing while sitting on the toilet. That's as close as you'll ever come to matching Hendrix's facial expressions conveying emotions.
Jimi's power is not in his tone; he really did feel every note and every second of every solo was improvised try not thinking about the notes so much, just let your fingers go where they want and try to bend all the notes so they sound right. Another thing you can do is try to develop your own vibrato; try adding vibrato to a note so it matches the natural vibrato of your singing voice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I appreciate your comments I really do but what I'm looking for is not Jimi himself! I could jump on his guitar and play it how I want and get what I'm looking for.

My father has a single coil guitar coming in the post (I know...) so I'll give that a blast see if I can get anything out of it.

I really love the strat. But I already play a lot like Jimi, if I have his guitar it will just look like I'm trying to copy him Not like I could ever afford a 59 strat anway!
Oh by the way. So nobody thinks that cranking a decent amp will produce the sound I'm looking for? I really thought that would help...

I only have a small solid state amp at the mo while I save for a nice tube amp (sold my big solid state). So I can't test it...
Quote by Karmaface
Oh by the way. So nobody thinks that cranking a decent amp will produce the sound I'm looking for? I really thought that would help...

I only have a small solid state amp at the mo while I save for a nice tube amp (sold my big solid state). So I can't test it...

yea a marshall full stack (tube god damnit, not no mg) will help im serious
"due to the endless feedbacking and whistling of the pedal when its set all the way up on all controls."

I just read that when reading about the fuzz face. Looks like the fuzz face could be what I'm looking for!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Jimi's power is not in his tone; he really did feel every note and every second of every solo was improvised try not thinking about the notes so much, just let your fingers go where they want and try to bend all the notes so they sound right. Another thing you can do is try to develop your own vibrato; try adding vibrato to a note so it matches the natural vibrato of your singing voice.

Excellent.
Listen to Jimi's live stuff. Some of his playing was to his audience but some was totally self-centered. Find a Hendrix song that you really connect with, and don't think too much. Blank you mind and speak through your instrument. Choke it, caress it and make it speak like a human voice. Go out on a limb and make mistakes. Turn the mistake into part of the quilt of the music. If you hit a wrong note bend it to pitch, or hit a couple other wrong notes. Wherever you hand lands at on the neck play. Cliche sounding advice but "become one with the instrument."
And if everything else fails to impress the crowd, take some inspiration from Iggy Pop and pull out your d**k and start to tug.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Wow. That's 3 times now that I've said It's not how he plays. It's his gear. Yet you keep coming back! Is the general forum go-er so bad that they can't duplicate a little bit of a Jimi Hendrix solo? You are giving me answers that asume I've almost never played the guitar. I'm not Jimi Hendrix, but I can sure as hell copy him!

Like I keep saying I want his POWER. "endless feedbacking and whistling" is a bad way of describing it. But listen to his star spangled banner at woodstock. Most of the time he's just playing SINGLE notes, but they still sound really messy and feedbacky... That's what I want.
Quote by Karmaface
Wow. That's 3 times now that I've said It's not how he plays. It's his gear. Yet you keep coming back! Is the general forum go-er so bad that they can't duplicate a little bit of a Jimi Hendrix solo? You are giving me answers that asume I've almost never played the guitar. I'm not Jimi Hendrix, but I can sure as hell copy him!

Like I keep saying I want his POWER. "endless feedbacking and whistling" is a bad way of describing it. But listen to his star spangled banner at woodstock. Most of the time he's just playing SINGLE notes, but they still sound really messy and feedbacky... That's what I want.

Hendrix used a fuzz pedal, that'll be your best bet.
Quote by Karmaface

well for that you'd want a loud amp, a uni vibe pedal, a wah pedal, fuzz. jimi used the wah pedal a lot actually but not in the normal "wah wah" way. a lot of the times he would use it to adjust the tone or add treble to make notes scream and sound a little more vocal. a lot of people like to switch pickups(which he does as well) but he also used the wah to change the tone.

the uni vibe is kind of a phaser type pedal which was used on the start spangled banner. the fuzz also adds extra power to his sound. fuzz makes your guitar strings sound bigger. if you listen to some of his live songs, he can make chords sound like they are exploding almost. real big and losts of growl.

feedback is all about how you position the guitar with the amp and how loud you play. thats something you just have to work on.

maybe get the hendrix pedal. it has a setting that is based on the woodstock uni vibe type sound. ive tried the pedal and its alright. you just need to have a good anp and know how to set up the different effects.
^The Digitech Jimi pedal is terrible. Don't forget he also used an Octavia.

Quote by Karmaface
I'm sitting here after just getting back from a jam with my band. I'm watching Jimi Hendrix play woodstock. I often try to play like Jimi, or at least convey emotion *through* the guitar as he does in his his oh so special way. But I'm missing something. When Jimi plays his guitar it has so much power, he only has to play a blues lick with his mouth open and it sounds like he's putting all the emotion his has into it. When I play a blues lick it just sounds really clean and neat and not how I want it, even with my mouth open!

I want to know where his power comes from. I love it. I want it!

I've tried things like cranking distortion, buying a big muff, playing strats through marshall amps in shops (I have a les paul). Ofcourse, I never get the effect I'm looking for.

I've come to the conclusion (as it's the only thing I'm currently unable to test) that the sound comes from cranking the hell out of a decent quality amp and playing as much like Jimi as possible. But honestly, that's just a guess. Could someone please enlighten me...!

P.S. The thing I'm looking for is NOT a wah pedal =)

He used a germanium fuzz face, or a silicon fuzz face pedal - depending on who you talk to and which albums you're talking about.

I say work on your picking dynamics. I find that dynamics really adds a lot of soul to your solos.
TS what the funk are you talking about?

How can you want his power? what do you mean?

we give you tips to get a similar tone, but that isnt what you want.
we give you tips on how to play similar or try and get emotion, but no, thats not what you want.

You said it isnt the way he plays, its his gear....I hate to break it to you, but the gear he uses makes up a large part of his tone.

And the star-spangled banner, thats a mix of everything, to get it like jimi you need to put your emotion in the music, and also not-surprisingly, you need to get a similar tone, achieved by a strat with low-medium output PUPS, pushing a cranked tube amp. A vintage-voiced fuzz will also help this alot.
If you're using a SS amp, you'll never sound like Jimi, although I agree exactly with what uldhppi said - even if you play like him you won't get that tone. Get a valve amp and crank the bugger, then fuzz it over the edge.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by CJRocker
You need to be Jimi. Doesn't matter what gear you have. To get that special vibe and feel to his music, you need to have his fingers. Acid, a '59 Strat, etc, that missing something is with Jimi himself. For tone, a guitar with mid to low output single coils of some kind, a Marshall, a fuzz Face, and a good Wah will get you close tonally.

+1

he could have walked off of the stage at woodstock and handed you his guitar and you still wouldnt sound like him if you tried to play it.

and not only because its strung for a left hander

>..>

<..<
Quote by MrCarrot
If you're using a SS amp, you'll never sound like Jimi, although I agree exactly with what uldhppi said - even if you play like him you won't get that tone. Get a valve amp and crank the bugger, then fuzz it over the edge.

Thanks. That's really what I wanted to hear.

I was being too vague with what I wanted. I couldn't really describe it.

My worry was that although it may be his tone as a whole that is producing the sound, I don't want to sound like a Jimi copycat, so I really want to stay away from his tone. Although maybe if I get a vintage reissue strat (would that work?), a fuzz face and a different tube amp to Jimi that I can crank the hell out I may get the effect that I'm looking for while not sounding too much like him.

I also need to look into *making* my guitar feedback, because with my little practice amp I can't do it at all. Jimi does it all the time, and it contributes to the thing I'm looking for quite a lot. When he plays he moves around the stage sometimes, so I assume if you have a large cranked amp right behind your guitar you can just spin around and make it feedback, or stand in a certain position or something?
Controlled feedback including frequency and duration is determined by the type of guitar, amp, gain, distance, what note where on the neck, angle you hold the the guitar (tilt) and angle of the guitar in relation to the speaker(s) and room size. Slight alterations of any of those factors sometimes result in drastic changes, which is why some find it to be tricky. Feedback is easy, control can be a little difficult.
You are not Jimi, that´s all. You cant get near him even if you buy his equipment...

close this thread...
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Shoot me now.
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
this thread is becoming rather stupid mainly for all this: Smoke marijuana and Do acid
Crap, I don't do any drugs except alcohol and caffeine, and I throw a lot of power and emotion into my playing, whether I'm playing to one, ten or twenty (the biggest crowd I've played to is my music class in school) I give it my all and put on a performance, no drugs needed.

Anyway for power you need to feel the music just do whatever to make that guitar shout to the audience.
man honestly this may sound weird or whatever, but to get some nice emotion and powerful playing, ill imagine myself playing in front of 30,000 people playing what i love, its hard to force emotion and all that, it comes from with in, but like i said just imagine your self playing a in froint of **** load of people, hahah
I can see what the TS is on about...he wants that edginess in the sound. You get that from tube amps and volume. Tube amps because they give a more organic sound and have better dynamics, and volume so you can have a sound that's teetering on the brink of descending into a chaotic mess of feedback. A big part of Hendrix's sound was his ability to hold the sound right on the edge and move in and out of feedback at will.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by forsaknazrael
^The Digitech Jimi pedal is terrible. Don't forget he also used an Octavia.

He used a germanium fuzz face, or a silicon fuzz face pedal - depending on who you talk to and which albums you're talking about.

I say work on your picking dynamics. I find that dynamics really adds a lot of soul to your solos.

i thought i mentioned octavia. oh well must have forgot about it.

and the pedal isnt that great yes. but if you set up the effects right and have a good amp it can sound decent. getting the real pedals would be the better idea though. i dont have the pedal but my friend does. its kind of a good way to get into jimi's sound but if you really want to sound good you need to get the real pedals. but i dont even know if they make uni vibes anymore. thats why i suggested the hendrix pedal.
I'm looking to do exactly the same thing. I already tried to do it with a fender music man, a marshall reissue, vox-ac30 and bad cat amps. I think that all this "you have to be jimi hendrix" thing is totally lame.

All I want is to get somewhere close to the woodstock star spangled banner sound and develop from there.

Personally, I haven't even come close yet, my sound gets too dark and dull, more heavy metal sounding which I really hate.

This week I'll try an old fender super reverb from 65 and a fender bandmaster from 61.

You guys say get an old amp, but I already tried some of them with bad results. I could be wrong, but it could have to do a lot with the guitar and the pedals?

Let me know what you all think about this...
The thing I find helps produce a decent Hendrix style sound is cranking up a valve amp, turning all the bass, middle and treble controls up full and putting in as much emotion as possible, it works for me!
lol@u
threadstarter: i know what you mean about the star spangled banner thing. You seem to be ruling out the only option you have, you can't do anything else except crank a tube amp and run a fuzz face through it. Your saying i don't want his tone so then your not going to get that fuzzy overdriven sound. There is no other way, you either buy a tube amp and crank it and learn to master the art of feedback or you sit and play clean notes for the rest of your life.
If you guys click on my profile and then on the mp3 files you can hear what I mean if you listen to "feedback1".

On all amps I tried to put all controls on max, even on the marshall (which was really loud) but with all of them I get that heavy metal kinda sound?

thanks
that's called phrasing, it's the point where you're not only playing your guitar but actually "talking" trough it
Page 1 of 2