i've never really touched a bass before. i'm about to go to guitar center and "try" some out(i won't be able to do much) and try to get a feel if i would like to play bass or not.

what is this board's recommendation for a bass/amp combo for about $300?
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
don't get a peavey stage/starter pack, the guitar is ok and will last you, but after a clocking in a few hours with the amp you get frustrated and will want to give up playing bass.
your in much better shape just getting a bass guitar, practise a bit without an amp, and then after a couple months, investing in a huge bass amp dude.
ampeg BA115
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I went with and still have my squier starter pack (1 year). I like it a lot. The only con to me is that its heavy, but it sounds good.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
When I first started, I got myself a 4-String dean Edge and a 15W Crate Amp...all for $300. I still use both, the bass is solid, although after 3 years, the jack is getting buzzy, and I use the amp (with a mic) at my church. It's a small church so it does the job. It's only me, the pianist, and the organist, so I don't care what it sounds like. My "good" Amp is a Yorkville Bassmaster xm200t. 200 watts of thunder....which I've never had to turn up past 3 on the volume knob. It ran me $350, but it had been "used" for a month. Basically it sat in a church, so I got a really good deal considering that the list price is somewhere around $800 I think. Now it's time for me to upgrade my bass, but anyhoo...I hope this helps you.
Quote by arowana1027
My wife plays my guitars fine, but my girlfriend has smaller hands, and she wants to learn how to play.
Last edited by teachmyself at Oct 24, 2007,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yeah, that's right, spend £280 on your first bass amp, even though you don't know if you're gonna stick with it

AMPEGS ARE NOT BEGINNER AMPS PEOPLE.

sorry i misread it i though he said he had 300 dollars to spend on an amp.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Look around used for the amp. There's always somebody trying to get rid of an big ol' Crate or Peavey combo for $100 of so on craigslist or eBay. Even if you don't stick with bass, it could be useful as a makeshift PA or guitar amp.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?