Page 4 of 14
Quote by CoreysMonster
oh noes, cue the legions of metal heads going "WHAT?! A NEW style of metal? Begone, heathens!"

They don't hate it because it's new. Also, any influences djent takes from metal are few and far between, and what it does draw is simplified and overused.

This being said, I do enjoy a couple bands that utilize djent.
Last edited by P1ayingW1thF1re at Oct 26, 2010,
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
They don't hate it because it's new. Also, any influences djent takes from metal are few and far between, and what it does draw is simplified and overused.

This being said, I do enjoy a couple bands that utilize djent.

I'll give you overused (for pete's sake, quit it with those chimy clean guitar intros already, people), but that's only because the bands that people "classify" as djent usually use only that.

I give you people who are pretty "djent"-y, but far from simplified or overused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW-aaZ5GA6w - Keith Merrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDBBymiFoLA - Cloudkicker
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 26, 2010,
Cloudkicker isn't really djent at all IMO, just gets lumped in with them because he has those oh-so-groovy bits amidst the breathtaking atmospherics. But yeah, I know what you're getting at and you're spot on for the most part. Keith Merrow rules.
I suppose I was generalizing since my post was partially a response to the TesseracT video on the previous page. I still hold true to my post, but even though simplification and beating dead horses are problems of djent, they are not always problems of djent. I am familiar with the term exception.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'll give you overused (for pete's sake, quit it with those chimy clean guitar intros already, people), but that's only because the bands that people "classify" as djent usually use only that.

I give you people who are pretty "djent"-y, but far from simplified or overused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW-aaZ5GA6w - Keith Merrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDBBymiFoLA - Cloudkicker

keith marrow isn't bad, but the music overall just isn't interesting at all, just the same thing over and over again.

Cloudkicker rules though, but it's not djent except for the discovery and even then it's very loosely put.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by illuminatiano
keith marrow isn't bad, but the music overall just isn't interesting at all, just the same thing over and over again.

Cloudkicker rules though, but it's not djent except for the discovery and even then it's very loosely put.

but thats the thing, what IS djent, exactly? Is it putting low-tuned polyrythms in an athmospheric setting? Is it that DEEAWAOWNG sound in the guitar? Cuz Cloudkicker definately has both of those. Or is it sounding exactly the same as all the other bands that label themselves djent, using chimey guitar intros and stuff?
I mean, I honestly dont know any more. I always thought djent was basically just low-tuned groove metal set in polyrythyms

Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 27, 2010,
Quote by Steve08
Quite a lot actually.

http://got-djent.com/bands

Dare I listen to something labeled "ambidjent math metal technical metal fantasy"?

http://got-djent.com/band/arphael

As for Tesseract, just sounds like they took Meshuggah's trademark style and fit it into a rock format, essentially trying to sweeten Meshuggah's arid take on atmosphere. Where Meshuggah at least have balls, these guys just chug to no avail while their vocalist wails inconsequentially over it.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Oct 27, 2010,
Old drummer told me about them and suggested we turn the band in a direction similar, but more like... BTBAM with polyrhythms xD Just started taking a listen to them.

Yeah, I listened to about 5 bands in the Djent category and it pisses me off that there's so much use of that trademark Meshuggah BWAOW w/ ambience, but TesseracT does pretty good with it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Contraband
Dare I listen to something labeled "ambidjent math metal technical metal fantasy"?
Yes, you do, and following that you should also take a healthy dose of your favorite record in all of music, Slaughter of the Soul.

Just screwing with you man.
Quote by Mista_Marko
Picked up their EP recently.

Jesus, 10/10 EASILY.

Love the slap bass the bassist does.

I didn't even notice that until last night, because I'd been listening to it through mp3 player headphones. Now I got my new studio monitors, and wow, I can actually HEAR shit
And now I can hear what people mean with the guitars sounding thin, and the bass losing power at times. I mean, it's not in any way a BAD production, I mean, it's their friggin first EP, most band's first EP's sound like utter crap; but it's obviously still far from perfection. (though still better than anything I've ever produced, of course)
I seem to be one of the few people who enjoy the production on the album. I dunno, I guess it just works for me. It doesn't have to have multi-million dollar (pound/euro) production, as long as it fits with the music, which I think it really does. Considering they did it themselves I think it's fantastic.

But then I also enjoy the sound of And Justice For All (even though I know it sounds shit).
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Just saw these guys with Devin Townsend last night. Wasn't able to buy their EP but they thoroughly impressed me. I love the ambience, but after about 5-6 songs and knowing none of them, they started sounding kinda the same :/ (they ****ing ruled anyway though)
they have been signed to century media. March 22nd is the date for ONE.
"We carry death out of the village!"
noone cares marskell
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Because their music is terrible?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Anyone else been to see them on the UK tour yet? I saw them in Manchester the other day for the first time, it was great! I think I was the first one in and last one out
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by denfilade
They totally need to tour Australia.

I do agree sir!
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by jwizzle5786
Album... I mean the remaining three songs have leaked. Sounds awesome.

And even then I'm pretty sure the two of the three songs are years old, just new recordings. Either way, its the best album I've heard for a long time.
Call me Matthew.
Saw these guys live with Periphery and Monuments. They were great, loved their EP too.

Is there a djent thread btw?
Quote by Metallica1554
Saw these guys live with Periphery and Monuments. They were great, loved their EP too.

Is there a djent thread btw?

I envy you.

Monuments deserve more attention, too.
Quite a good album I must say. However I annoyingly prefer the production and version of Sunrise on the demo.
The lives of thousands in my hands
I’ve come to take back what’s rightfully mine and now you’re damned
The lights grow dark in their homes
But our road is lit by fire from the sky
So we push forward

Last.fm
Really like the EP and heard some of the tracks from one and liked them. I'm not the biggest fan of Djent as it gets quite monotonus for me, but I like these guys
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I've listened to the EP loads and some of the demo stuff on youtube, and was looking forward to hearing the album.

Listened to it today... I like it, but I can't help feeling I've heard pretty much the whole thing before in some form or another. Still good stuff I guess.
Well, it comes out tomorrow, and some who preordered already got it.

Anyways, I love this album. Love it. Eden is one of my favorite songs ever. This album would have destroyed me if I already hadn't heard it all. Still, it's amazing.