My amp is making funny noises.
just started about a week ago.
if I turn the volume past 3 it goes haywire.
and it pics up noises from my bass player or any reverberation in the room.
can some one point me in the right direction
here is a video of the problem, i put on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fnpBYjiPU

Johnson millennium 150
Celestion vintage 30s
2001 Jackson KV2 emg 81
Last edited by mickeysixx at Oct 24, 2007,
It might actually be radio frequencies but i dont know how to fix it. Its happened to people before.
if thats like, a magnet or something retarded like that sitting in front of the amp then thats the obvious problem.

it sound exactly like when you stand too close to your amp with the guitar around your neck.
mabey try a different guitar or chord.

and its BASS player.........not BASE player
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
I owned a JM150 for a number of years. I ran into situations where it picked radio freqs, but banging on the housing never translated into sound coming out of the speakers. As far as the howling, have you tried swapping out the tubes?
Last edited by pe4c at Oct 24, 2007,
I was gonna say that, I can't watch the vid, but it sounds like your tubes have gone microphonic. Replace them
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Its a mic in front of the amp.
sorry "bass"
I have heard talking from a cb radio before.
I have yet to replace the pre amp tubes. I hope thats it cause that will be cheap.
the manual says it has electro harmonics pre tubes.
would those be a good replacement?
tube recomendations pls.
ohhh, i see. if your picking up radio freq. then i doubt its the tubes.
turn off all the effects ect. or and unplug any pedals and just play it straight from the guitar to the speakers.
or try a different amp, if it still does it (even a little) its probably the guitar, and that might be a better situation (i would imagine that fixing that amp would cost a boatload o' moola)

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
If you're micing it, please check the obvious solution. Do not play back the sound while you are recording it at a level that the mic will pick up. That would cause your annoying feedback howl problems. You could also have your mic preamp, if you have one, pushing wayyyy to hard, hence picking up any and all noise created in the vicinity.
Quote by MrPillow
If you're micing it, please check the obvious solution. Do not play back the sound while you are recording it at a level that the mic will pick up. That would cause your annoying feedback howl problems. You could also have your mic preamp, if you have one, pushing wayyyy to hard, hence picking up any and all noise created in the vicinity.

wow......

ya, MrPillow really right

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
shure its not guitar. have used others with it.
all chanels act the same, w/ or without effects.
only got cb radio when i was living next to this trucker guy.

really wish I could turn up the volume with out it buzzing and squeking
LISTEN TO MrPillow!
he's most definatly on to somehting

edit: ok nevermind.

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
That used to happen with my old marshall. If I ground looped my cry baby, I could pick up a mexican radio station!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Try a different guitar. It may be the EMG's. Also see if it happens when you back down the guitar's volume.
tryed guitar w/ emgs and guitar w/ s.d.s
and rolled back volume.
no difference.
Well I was hoping it would be that easy, and you have eliminated that cause. More than likely MrPillow is on the right track. I know very little about micing instruments other than sticking a mic in front and hoping for the best.
matbe remove the mic completely from the room also make sure your amo isnt close to a socket and see if you can get a extension core that has the three prings and try that beucase most likely you are getting feedback from a cb but you can solve that most of the time with a grounded core or get a hum exterminator that plugs into your sockt (look it up on musicans friend i think its cheap)