So i just picked up a mint Jackson Sceptor (86 model i think) with 2 seymour duncan high out put, high gain pick ups for a killing ! ($500 AUS, worth about $1900 AUS if purchased new)

Only down side is, it has a fixed bridge and i want a floating bridge.

How difficult and expensive would it be to get a floyd rose into my new baby?
I've found floyd rose's for about $75 (good old ebay job).

Thanks,
Kerry Rowe
its not hard if u can use a router well. but generally, its not a good idea, as u lose alot of wood with routing it, which could compromise the strength of the guitar body.
I wasn't considering doing it myself, i have a phobia when it comes to upgrading my guitars and always get it done professionally.
It wouldn't affect the strength of it too much though would it, i mean it only needs a little amount taken out of it and i do realise that that will weaken it but surely it couldn't make a SUBSTANCIAL difference.
its not difficult like qotsa1998 said its just routing out some wood. I did it with no problem only took 20 mins. but make sure thats what you want, because once its done a fixed bridge will never look the same on it.
Man...this guy doesn't even need to write a suicide note. He can just leave a link to this thread on his computer and everyone will understand.
Quote by KerryRowe
I wasn't considering doing it myself, i have a phobia when it comes to upgrading my guitars and always get it done professionally.
It wouldn't affect the strength of it too much though would it, i mean it only needs a little amount taken out of it and i do realise that that will weaken it but surely it couldn't make a SUBSTANCIAL difference.

I wouldnt worry about the strength of the guitar unless its already weak for some reason. Just find someone who has done wood work before, like a friend or family member, you will be suprised at how easy it really is. Theres no need to pay a guitar tech 40$ an hour to have it done.
Man...this guy doesn't even need to write a suicide note. He can just leave a link to this thread on his computer and everyone will understand.
Also make sure you put it at the right distance from the nut or your intonation will be ****ed up the rear, and a FR wont make that easy to fix.
ibanez-gnr14, im not sure but from looking at your equipment im assuming one of your guitars has a fixed bridge and the other a floating? Correct me if I'm wrong.
What are the pro's and con's of the floating vs fixed?
Thanks
Kerry Rowe
With regards to the correct distance from the nut, thats why i was looking at getting it done professionally.
And as for the $40 an hour, i'm not sure if that's an american thing or not, but all the work i've had done to my guitars has never amounted to that sort of sum
well a fixed bridge doesnt have a tremelo and a floating does... is that what you mean? My floyd rose is a floating system. Not sure what other system of tremelo you can get(not being an @## hole or anything just not sure.)
Sorry man, should have been more specific.
What i meant was, in your personal opinions what are the pros and cons between the two, ie. playability etc
Thanks =]
Kerry Rowe
its all depends on what you like to play and how you like your guitar to feel. I love them both. Go into a guitar shop or play a friends that has a floating.
The pros of a floating are:
you can play van halen lol, strings break far less often(if you use fine tuning which most floyd roses come with), its fun to play with, and it gives you distinct sounds.

Cons are: you have to tune way more often, when strings do break its not as easy to change them, and thats just one more thing that can break on your guitar.

Pros of a fixed are: easy to change strings, usually stays in tune longer, and you can focus more on you fretting hand rather than your picking hand.

Cons: You cant play van halen(lol what i mean is songs that use tremelos), and sometimes you just want to play with a tremelo.
I like the van halen thing haha, can't go wrong with lots of tremelo and harmonics hahaha!
See, to my reading, the 'con's' you've shown are really not that bad haha ! I mean, seriously, who is really that concerned about having to tune a little bit more regularly!

Just a quick question, what do you mean about focusing on the picking hand? I don't quite understand what you're saying about that

Thanks =]
Kerry Rowe
some people have a really hard time hitting the correct frets when their not looking especially beginners. Some people are the opposite, they have to look at their picking hand in order to hit the correct strings or w/e. If you have a tremelo you tend to look away from the fret board. It shouldnt be a problem for most people.
oh, is that all you meant haha !
i thought you might have meant that it played with string height or something haha !
don't worry, i CAN play my guitar lol
=]

Thanks for your help all, it's much appreciated.
I'll make sure i try out a floyd rose this weekend when i go to the capital.

Kerry Rowe
Do you have pictures or information of this? I've never heard of a Jackson Sceptor. And if its 1986 its probably USA made. Put that Floyd in, and if its legit, you'll kill the value.

EDIT: If you want a Floyd, sell it or trade it for something that has one
Hello,
I went and saw a guitar tech and he's given me a price of about $300 AUD to purchase the floyd rose and install it.
thanks for the help
Kerry Rowe
^ i still wouldn't do it man... get one that has a floyd in it....actually i recomend getting a kahler they are the best! much better then the FR
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason