Ok so I am having a lot of trouble trying to get a good metal tone. I am running a Ibanez SM7 through a Hughes & Kettner Attax 80 . I have been trying loads of settings but nothing seems to stand out. Any tips or settings would help alot!
no mids, all highs and lows with alot of gain?

idk, that makes sense but i play bass and not metal so..........maby
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
For metal I usually use to settings

Bass - 5 / 10
Mids - 5 / 5
Treble - 5 / 7.5

Try the first (5/5/5), then the second (10/5/7.5).

Once you dial those in, tweak them to fit your sound.
gain at 10+. Mods at 2 or 3, maybe 0. Highs at 7, bass at 9 or 10. Make sure u have a distortion pedal with alot of gain, but a DS-1 should get the job done.
Usually 5/5/5 gives me a nice even tone with clarity for individual notes and for classic rock type stuff.

You can always scoop your mids to a 10/3/7 setup or so for a hi-gain metal tone for some more bite, but as it's known, scooping mids might lose you in the mix if you're playing in a band.
...Jesus..

You'll want mids at at least 5, 6 even. It takes away from the sheer crunch, but in any setting with a band you'll thank me.

Bass, I would say only 5, less if there are two of you. You don't want things to be too bassy, that's what the bass and bass drum are for. You want clarity, as a guitarist you want to exist in the upper midrange.

Treble, you want a good 6-7. It adds crunch in the upper end (a pleasant, crunchy crunch), and keeps you extremely clear.

Finally gain, I wouldn't suggest putting it to 10 right away. Start at 5, chug around a little bit, turn it up till it hits the point of required crunch. Many amps, even metal amps like the 5150 will just get mushy and undefined if you turn the gain up all the way. You want clarity and crunchiness primarily.
I am using an Ibanez RG350DX with emg 85 (neck) emg SA (middle) emg 81 (bridge). im into arch enemy alot and i would kinda like to find a similar sound to them
I usually just keep my gain at 5 or at 10, depending on what im playing of course.

I find myself using my Peavey's crunch channel for everything rock instead of the praised OMGWTFH4X Ultra setting.
Quote by TimmyPage06
...Jesus..

You'll want mids at at least 5, 6 even. It takes away from the sheer crunch, but in any setting with a band you'll thank me.

Bass, I would say only 5, less if there are two of you. You don't want things to be too bassy, that's what the bass and bass drum are for. You want clarity, as a guitarist you want to exist in the upper midrange.

Treble, you want a good 6-7. It adds crunch in the upper end (a pleasant, crunchy crunch), and keeps you extremely clear.

Finally gain, I wouldn't suggest putting it to 10 right away. Start at 5, chug around a little bit, turn it up till it hits the point of required crunch. Many amps, even metal amps like the 5150 will just get mushy and undefined if you turn the gain up all the way. You want clarity and crunchiness primarily.

THANK YOU! now this is the kind of reply i was hoping for!
Quote by (sic)ness6669
I am using an Ibanez RG350DX with emg 85 (neck) emg SA (middle) emg 81 (bridge). im into arch enemy alot and i would kinda like to find a similar sound to them

that's a sweet set-up.

for metal tone I put gain 10/10, treble 10/10, mids 4/10, bass 2/10, but mess around with it see what you like best.

and use just the bridge pickup (if you aren't already), especially if you're doing leads.