...musically that is. I just feel like I'm going crazy, so just tell me if I sound it. I've heard a lot of people say Petrucci, Vai, Gilbert, ect. are better than say David Gilmore, Robert Fripp, Trey Anastasio ect. Now I listen to all of the aforementioned artists, but I think it is insane to say one is better than the other. I love Dream Theater but not in the same way I love Pink Floyd. I prefer "organic" music as compared to the pristine production, perfect technique, amazing knowledge of theory, of say Dream Theater, or Vai. I feel very much that guitarists like Vai, Gilbert, and Petrucci (I love all these guys, I'm just using them as an example) are like musical perfection/music robots, they're amazing and I love how complex their music is, but it's very sterile and somewhat soulless. As opposed to Pink Floyd, who when I listen to have almost come to tears, Petrucci has never done that. It's just 2 different things you know? I enjoy them for what they each do. I'm sorry if this made no sense and/or is pointless. I just had to vent.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Nah, it definately does. It's just that alot of people think the faster you go the better you are, which isn't necessarily true. Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level.

Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
There's a place where a depth charge ignites.
Music is never competition I just think that there are better/more interesting composers out there than others.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
your argument is as old and trite as time itself. its. all. perspective. personally i've yet to find music that is soulless.
Art, or in this case music, is in the eye of the beholder. Tell your friends to **** off.
there must be hundreds of these threads. Somewhere along the line someone will come in and say something vague about a soulful blues solo.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
ys i agree with you. there is just something about organic-ish music that i like, even if it isnt mastered well or isnt perfect technique.

i feel you man
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.

Sig'd

Quote by TMVolta19
yea...umm...never has a piece of music made me cry...not even waterd up my eyes

movies however...hvae watered up my eyes.

frequently

sadly, i think im unable to cry...
ok, i dunno how you guys stand on MX (friend told me a war almost broke out with the 2 sites... anyway) whenever a thing like that came up it's just be...
"music is subjective.
end thread"
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
yea...umm...never has a piece of music made me cry...not even waterd up my eyes

movies however...hvae watered up my eyes.

frequently

sadly, i think im unable to cry...

haha movies have never made me cry, but music almost does almost everyday.

Quote by TMVolta19
Well actually, I'm sure if you look around you'll find a Petrucci song with tons of soul and emotion (although not as much as David Gilmour, he can't be beaten in that).
Quote by mart69
Well actually, I'm sure if you look around you'll find a Petrucci song with tons of soul and emotion (although not as much as David Gilmour, he can't be beaten in that).

Yeah I'm not saying Petrucci cannot play with soul, he just doesn't do it as often/well as some other guitarists I listen to.

Quote by TMVolta19
The only artist that can make me cry is Vai.

In no way do I fell that his music is "robotic". It's not because he's a virtuoso that he is soulless. Being a virtuoso and knowing theory makes you able to express yourself much much more.
Oh and I love Dream Theater and Petrucci, but their stuf is much less complex than Vai.

Oh and I never liked Pink Floyd
When I was extremely depressed about three years ago now (time flies...), I cried many times to several Dream Theater songs, and I am not afraid to admit that. The Spirit Carries On moved me to tears as well, the first time I heard it. If you focus so much on their technical proficiency, you're likely going to miss out on the bigger picture.

I'd like to add that I don't care how complex the music is. Alice in Chains is not complex and they are my absolute favorite band.

http://www.gvetchedintime.com/Personal/aboutpersonal/aboutpersonal.htm
Last edited by Mud Martian at Oct 24, 2007,
Try and find a cover of comfortably numb by a metal band, I don't remember who it was but they played it alongside dream theater and the first solo sucked baaaalls. Petrucci played the second one and it sounded fine but it really shows what Gilmour can do with his guitar. As far as I'm concerned it's much easier to play quickly than to play "well" or with soul. I can play reasonably quickly, although I'm not THAT fast at all, but I certainly can't play anywhere near as well as Gilmour and probably never will...unless I sell my soul to the devil...

EDIT: I had the same experience with the Spirit Carries On...I can't even name any of their other songs of the top of my head. To be honest...it kinda reminded me of Pink Floyd.