So, okay, have a problem.

I have sweaty hands. I know there's nothing I can do about that, but the new set of strings I put on Sunday are just barely starting to rust around the first few frets (chording area and stuff). And the strings on my acoustic have pretty much rusted through and through at this point.

Is there any way to prevent this? I'd really rather not keep changing out and buying strings (though I've been considering getting a new guage on there anyway......you get what I mean, though).

Any way to prevent it?
Buy coated strings, like Elixirs or something similar and wipe the strings down with a soft towel after you finish playing.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
i have the same problem. try whipping down the strings when you're done with a cloth, sock, shirt, whatever.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
I like Fast Fret. A quick wipe before and after you play and your strings will last twice as long.
Quote by anodetodrivebys
i have the same problem. try whipping down the strings when you're done with a cloth, sock, shirt, whatever.

ditto i say u do the same 2 lol
....................... .................. ................
huh......wiping down the strings......why the hell did that never occur to me.....
Try to get under those suckers too. A chamois(sp?) tip or Q tip may be in order. I used to wipe the tops but not the bottom and would still get frumunda cheese buildup. Now my strings are nice n' shiny.
Well, i have sweaty fingers too. So the shop staff advised me to apply a little bit of oil on the tips of the fingers. Make sure they're not dripping with oil. Just a little bit. Bcoz too much of it can spoil your playing...

Oh yeah, i just hope your not playing the electric. If you are then forget what i said :P I play an acoustic.
Use coated strings, make sure your hands are clean before playing, wipe down your strings after playing.
washing hands before and after playing prevents rust forming and also wiping the stings after praticing
You will have to experiment with strings each brand is a little different. The fenders didnt like me and ernie balls the finish comes off to fast. I use the ddarrios now. But I do use the fast fret when Im done playin. And changing strings is just something you will have to accept. I have 4 guitars and 2-3 weeks is a long time for a set of strings on one.
Quote by Lastlarf
I like Fast Fret. A quick wipe before and after you play and your strings will last twice as long.

I have the opposite experience with Fast Fret. I have some that I've only used once because the one time I did use it my strings pretty much corroded right after I was done playing.