I need to widen the nut slots on a guitar but I don't have any files. Does anyone know if there is anything that I can use around the house or something I could pick up at a hardware store to do the job? I just need the slots widened enough to fit one string gauge up.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
hmm i dont think itd be expensive to get it done at a shop. i just buy preslotted nuts, i havent really gotten around to buying those files yet
First of all, That's what she said.

You mean on an acoustic?

Get a hand drill and carefully do it your self.

edit: That's what she said.
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
Quote by ECistheBest
can't u pick up a file at a hardware store?

Yeah but just wondering if there is anything else I could use that I may have around the house first. I'll have to wait till morning to pick up a file and I'd like to get started tonight.

Quote by rcw110131
"Widening a Nut Slot"

That's what she said.

You remind me of my best bro lol

Quote by carousel182
hmm i dont think itd be expensive to get it done at a shop. i just buy preslotted nuts, i havent really gotten around to buying those files yet

Ugh. Think again. The shops around here charge out the ass for the simplest of jobs. My tech won't be able to get to me in the time I need before the guitar gets shipped out otherwise I'd just let him do it. The nuts already installed also.

Quote by justinp93
First of all, That's what she said.

You mean on an acoustic?

Get a hand drill and carefully do it your self.

edit: That's what she said.

Nope I meant electric but thanks for the help. I'm kinda scared to use a drill around the headstock area free hand though. I'll get out the drill in the morning and try the low E first to see how it comes out.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

It'd probably be best to get the right tools for the job. i wouldn't do it if i wasn't sure i was capable of it. I'm not really an expert at nut making though.
Quote by jscustomguitars
Bit the bullet and get some nut files.

I'd love my own set of nut files. I feel bad sometimes though cause I have a tech but I'm a big diy'er lol. I'd like to learn luthiery as a profession one day. But anyways my only issue is paying for the set. I won't get any free money till next week after I finish a couple lessons and the guitar that I am working on is supposed to ship by Saturday. I'll speak with the buyer and see what I can do about it. If not I'll have to settle for something cheap until I can invest in some files later.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

There worth the investment.
I took the first two guitars I finished to a local shop to get the nuts cut and it cost me £60, I then bought a set of files for £45 and they've paid for themselves 20 times over in 6 months
Use the new strings to slowly file the slot. Rub them back and forth across the slot until they fit.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I'm going to try some Mitchell abrasive cord on my Les Paul that has a couple tight nut slots. I'll let you know how it works.
Last edited by SequoyahSam at Nov 8, 2013,
Quote by SequoyahSam
I'm going to try some Mitchell abrasive cord on my Les Paul that has a couple tight nut slots. I'll let you know how it works.

Please don't bump a thread that hasn't had a response in 6 years.

I've closed the thread, because we're unlikely to get an update from the OP.