I was wondering what scales/chords one would need to learn if they wanted to shred/solo. I looked up a whole bunch of scales and need to narrow them down to the fundementals. I play mostly metal, but some bluesy stuff wouldn't hurt either.
Learn the modes of the Major Scale and branch off to Progressive/Jazz Fusion stuff. You'll be a MUCH better player; and those genres call for technical prowess and speedy playing, but without losing sight on the musical aspect of it. Or, if you want to stick to simple Metal, just wank off the E Minor Pentatonic.
One thing to never overlook is soloing in more than one scale at a time. If you find yourself getting bored or out of ideas, combine two scales in the same key.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
don't insult the minor pentatonic!!! .. just go watch some shawn lane videos on youtube he'll show you how to shred the penta scale and be melodic!
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Pentatonic scale (including blues scale)
Major scale and its modes
Harmonic minor and it's modes
Melodic minor and it's modes

Make sure you learn them all over the fretboard.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Pentatonic scale (including blues scale)
Major scale and its modes
Harmonic minor and it's modes
Melodic minor and it's modes

Make sure you learn them all over the fretboard.

+1

You basicly learned 95% Western music scales with it.
It won't be sweet and easy, but when you learn it, your playing will profit sooo much.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
well i looked up the minor pentatonic scale and the very first thing i see is this:

E-|-- |0-|--|0-|
B-|-- |0-|--|0-|
G-|0-|-- |--|0-|
D-|0-|-- |--|0-|
A-|-- |0-|--|0-|
E-|-- |0-|--|0-|

how do i play this? Are they chords, or do i play each note individualy?
Quote by KNOTfan666
well i looked up the minor pentatonic scale and the very first thing i see is this:

E-|-- |0-|--|0-|
B-|-- |0-|--|0-|
G-|0-|-- |--|0-|
D-|0-|-- |--|0-|
A-|-- |0-|--|0-|
E-|-- |0-|--|0-|

how do i play this? Are they chords, or do i play each note individualy?

Play each note individually.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
i learned to memorize minor scales and their modes and keys. great solo stuff, and you can also make aweum riffs with them...gives lots of arpegio help too for sweeping and stuff
but the extended pentatonic is still awesum. but i use the blues scale more