ermkay, so I've been playing guitar for a bit over a year now, and I just recently (a couple weeks ago) read about pinch harmonics and how to do them. but every lesson i come across just says "pick it and touch it with your thumb at the same time" but no matter how many ways I try, i never get it. Can someone tell me a little more in depth how this works? timing, position, anything? help is greatly appreciated.
pinch the pick, and experiment with the movement of the picking action near the neck pickups

put gain and treble w/tone on high, it'll help a lot. use the 2,3,4 strings, they're easier than the others.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
think of it like something spinnging... like a straight bar on a spindle, both your pick and finger have to "snap" the string at the same time to create the sharp niose we have all come to know and love, im crap for explaining things, bu if any of your friends can do them have them teach you, its teh best and easiest way
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
Quote by bananasislegend
think of it like something spinnging... like a straight bar on a spindle, both your pick and finger have to "snap" the string at the same time to create the sharp niose we have all come to know and love, im crap for explaining things, bu if any of your friends can do them have them teach you, its teh best and easiest way

see this is what sucks. I'm probably the best of us, and have learned a lot of techniques, however pinch harmonics have me strung up worse than even economic picking
Quote by doctor woot
see this is what sucks. I'm probably the best of us, and have learned a lot of techniques, however pinch harmonics have me strung up worse than even economic picking

Yeah, I have been playing for about 4 years, seriously about 1 year though.

Pinch harmonics are just uncomfortable for me to play, I'm just not used to being able to have to shift how I hold my pick in middle of a run just to play something.

So, I kinda cheat and switch the pick into my middle and thumb instead of thumb and index and just use my index to do a regular artificial harmonic.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
They're quite tricky to master.

Although, there is a shortcut. A cheat, if you will.

You can sound a natural harmonic (hopefully you know what that is by now) and then play around with your trem. Bending it and making the desired squealing noise.

As for the real way of actually pinching it, I find that leaving as little of the pick showing as possible helps.
Basically get it so that when you hit the string with your pick, your thumb follows suit and hits the string a millisecond after the pick does.

It's sort of hard to describe without a visual representation. Youtube some videos or something.

Hope it helps.

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being..."

~ C.G. Jung
i had the pleasure of teaching pinch harmonics (but i am by n means an expert)

1. some guitars seem simply incapable of producing them
(or there was some unseen factor changing from guitar to guitar)
i played on about 10 different guitars and (same make/model/etc) and could get some of them to squeal like pigs all day long but others just wouldn't

2. rip the gain knob off..turn it up to 11 distortion to the max. not necissarily volume just distortion...you want your guitar and amp to be HOT like fire!

3. pay attention to where you pick exactly on the string...like above the bridge pickup or the neck pickup or somewhere in between...

like regular harmonics if you are not fretting in just the right place it wont sound...same goes for pinch harmonics if you dont pick in just the right place it wont sound or wont sound as strong

dunno if youve seen closeups of the actual way to pick a pinch harmonic, you want the pick to barely be sticking out from between your fingers and when you pick the string and flick with your wrist so your thumb strikes the string and hope like hell!!!

good luck man
i've never been able to get it the traditional way but i've found that instead of using my thumb i can kind of graze it with the knuckle on my ring finger and get a harmonic. and also you have to find the sweet spot on the paticular string. do this by placing a finger of your left hand on one of the strings and move it up and down between the neck and bridge and find the place with the most bright naturaul harmonic. this is the pkace where you can hit with your knuckle and with a little practice get harmonics

Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
thanks all of you guys, props for Dylan-19, i looked on youtube and found a video that demonstrated, after watching that i actually got it once or twice.

The rest of you guys, thanks, I kinda have a better perspective on alternate methods now, so I'll probably see what suits me best