As it says above, when I sit down and play my guitar I get the worst hand cramps. I can usually only play for a minute or less at a time before my thumb and the rest of my hand cramps up. It mainly happens when I play power chords and grip the fret board tighter. It also occurs when I'm playing barre chords, or just playing fast across the fretboard. I've tried a few things but nothing helps. When I stand up and play it happens less, but still may happen. I seriously cannot even get through a song anymore without having to stop for 20 seconds and resting. If it matters, Ive cracked all my knuckles for years, along with playing games and such. I don't know if its early signs of arthiritus (sp?).

grr wall of text. Basically If anyone has any tips of better ways to play or have come acrossed this themselves. I've only noticed it happening for about 2 weeks now so I dont know if this is going to be a huge problem later. Thanks.
first off stop playing for awhile! and try and relax your hand !!! remember its a guitar neck not your D*ck
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
i had this problem for a long time.
funnily enough it went away when i got my Ibanez with the super thin neck...
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by danielrobbyshor
i had this problem for a long time.
funnily enough it went away when i got my Ibanez with the super thin neck...

Well, the Ibanez S is just amazing anyway so, listen to him.

But in all honesty, i was suffering from really sharp pains in my hand for a while not long ago, so i just took a break from playing for a while. It was hard to resist the urge to play, but for the sake of your hand, i would recommend that you just rest, for a few days at least. Hope your pain goes away, good luck.
also i might add the pain is probably a result of improper technique .. the most common of which is playing with your hand too tence and your fingers flying every where instead of keeping them close the the fret board.
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Thin necks do help(there is nothing sweeter than learning on an old clunky jumbo fret thick neck nylon acoustic and then playing a thin neck electric guitar...). But time and practice also help, and i dont think cracking your knuckles would affect you in playing guitar. The same with games (i assume your talking about playstation and such things). I personally have been playing games for years and have broken my wrist and many fingers. It just takes practice. And as oscar7557 so subtly put it, have a rest 4 a while.
yeah...pretty much take a break for a couple days...gaming and cracking your knuckles has nothing to do with it...i do that nearly as much as i play guitar...thinner neck would be something i would try after a while of doing cheaper things lol...money saver lol....i had this for a while...you'll get over....btw....power chords can make anyone sore...i was jamming with some random band one time that only played power chords...i had to ice my hand it hurt so bad hahaha
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Too much tension my friend. Your hand should look natural, not bent at sharp angles, and you shouldn't be gripping it ultra hard. Just hard enough to play the notes cleanly. If it feels unnatural or tense, you're doing it wrong and need to relax and play with less tension in your muscles. Same goes for your picking hand. For the longest time, I'd tense up my entire arm and use my bicep to move my entire arm ultra-fast for Lamb of God-esque quick series of notes, but this led to pain. Relax and do it naturally and without tension and you'll be fine, and a better player eventually to boot.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
And i believed that I just was weak when i had cramp, so I continued to play, even it was hurting like hell :b so stupid
Ability is what you're capable of doing..
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it.