I'm pretty strapped for cash right now. My budget is around $250 for the electric bass, amp, gig bag, strap, tuner, pics, cable, and strap. I'm looking to play some hard rock, and I've been reading around the forums a bit. It seems Peavey is a pretty popular beginner choice. I was looking at the guitar center web site and found the value pack below, but my bro who plays guitar said he didn't recognize the brand and told me to ask here for advice.

Is there a good value pack i should get, or should I get all the equipment separately? Also, what are some good books to get me started?

Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/2pcla3
i'm new to bass also but i know guitar brands. Dean's pretty well known. their guitars are alright if you get high enough in price. I'm not sure how they do with basses, however, so i'd let someone else take care of it.

i'd trust ibanez though. heard they have good low end basses and i know they have good low end guitars.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
for sure buy a pack of some sort if your low on cash. itll get you started until your ready to buy a new bass
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
If you want to gig for that price I must lol at you. You'll need way more money.

But just playing, you can do great. Squier, Ibanez, Yamaha all make nice starters. Epiphone, however, does not.
Stay away from the Epiphone, as IndianRockStar said. They're rubbish.
Genius may have its limitations; stupidity is not thus handicapped.
use the search bar there have been countless threads like this one of them will have your answer

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
alot better than the dean thats for sure
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp