I have a BC Rich Metal Masters Warlock, and have had since April of last year.

I didn't ever really have a problem with it till I got an amp, and plugged it in.

The tone I get isn't even remotely as good as my 2 friends that have the same amp, and on top of that my guitar won't tap. I assumed it was the pickups that were the problem, but I just got off the phone with my friend, who I might buy a Dean from, and he said his Dean won't tap either, but it's only because his strings are rusted and the solution is to buy new ones.

Will buying new strings solve my guitar tapping issue? I've had the same strings on my Warlock since I bought it, and they're sort of rusted and dirty, I just haven't had the chance at all to buy new strings.

Or will new pickups work? One of my friends has multiple Warlocks, all of which tap, but he also has Dimebucker pickups in his.

Or should I just shell out the cash for my friends Dean, which I know sounds good and taps?
what do you mean, your guitar "won't tap?"
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
yeah, even though i don't have a clue what you're talking about, you should change your strings every 1-2 months anyway if you play the guitar every day. if you play like... 8 hours a day, more frequently, and if you play 9 gauge or less, more frequently.
gear?

When I tap on my guitar strings, for you know like solo tapping and stuff, I get a very low muffled noise, and it doesn't sustain at all.
setting up your guitar properly = priceless.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I know they're old. And I've tried everything to make it sustain a damn tapping note, but nothing works.

Would new strings help.
am i nuts replacing it every 2-3 weeks? it's time soon...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by FRDesign
Yes, Replace em every month!

There only $5 with tax and everything.

Cheapest ones at one of the music stores I go to is 30$ haha.
really its probably your guitar.... the only good sounding bc rich guitars i know of are their signature models and and mockingbird.... bc rich has compensated for lack of tone by putting rockfield fatass pickups in the bridge position. which sounds kind of okay... but still doesn't cut it for me.... i say get a new guitar.... or i guess your obviously playing metal... if so just say screw tone all together and go for most obnoxious. slap an invader at the bridge and make your mother hate you. BC Rich+Invader=Satans Weapon of Choice. make your mother proud.
Quote by Ahagin0
you also have to tap properly if you don't know how to.

I know how to tap, I have before on someone elses guitar to make fun of their incredible.. "shredding" ability.
Quote by Hammerfall23

rip off, tell them to fuvk off.
Quote by whosamerica
really its probably your guitar.... the only good sounding bc rich guitars i know of are their signature models and and mockingbird.... bc rich has compensated for lack of tone by putting rockfield fatass pickups in the bridge position. which sounds kind of okay... but still doesn't cut it for me.... i say get a new guitar.... or i guess your obviously playing metal... if so just say screw tone all together and go for most obnoxious. slap an invader at the bridge and make your mother hate you. BC Rich+Invader=Satans Weapon of Choice. make your mother proud.

I actually like Warlocks, not just for looks, for their sound. My friend is the greatest guitarist I know personally and his all sound great.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=metalmanm7

That's his youtube with videos of him playing.
Quote by Ahagin0
rip off, tell them to fuvk off.

I would, but I stopped going there and started going to a different one that has actual good deals and quality stuff.
Quote by Hammerfall23
I would, but I stopped going there and started going to a different one that has actual good deals and quality stuff.

ok then go there.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
we all have our own thing. i dont have a pproblem with it. iv just never been a bc rich fan. but i think the sickest guitar design EVER is in fact the warbeast with the FR trem..... my friend has one.... he did in fact put an invader in his..... so not only does it look devious. it sounds like the earth ending. and for what he plays (death metal in minor scales) it sounds amazing.
dude, if someone's trying to get you strings for $30, they need to shove them where the sun don't shine.

REPLACE YOUR DAMN STRINGS!

i don't care if you have a squier or a parker fly, old strings will make any guitar sound AND play like crap.

and if you can't find them for cheap around you, order a 10 or 20 pack online from guitar center.

gear?

Quote by DougC84
dude, if someone's trying to get you strings for $30, they need to shove them where the sun don't shine.

REPLACE YOUR DAMN STRINGS!

i don't care if you have a squier or a parker fly, old strings will make any guitar sound AND play like crap.

and if you can't find them for cheap around you, order a 10 or 20 pack online from guitar center.

I'll be buying strings soon, and replacing them as soon as I get home.
Quote by Hammerfall23

Are you sure you're not looking at Bass strings?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
even bass strings go for like $20 at my store...

maybe looking at 10 packs???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
even bass strings go for like $20 at my store...

maybe looking at 10 packs???

Maybe.

Anyways, Curt Mangan lowered their price! $6.00 instead of $10! Yay! If it was still $10, I wouldn't be eating lunch this week
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
this made me laugh. lol year old strings. i negelected my acoustic for 3 months and the amount of grime on the strings is ridiculous, i can't imagine how bad yours must be.

however having said this, i can tap on my acoustic reasonably well, it shouldnt matter what condition your strings are in it's mainly down to technique.

strings that old will hinder your playing, grime making it harder to slide, and if the high strings rust you could easily slice your fringer open some day during a fast slide.

replace once every 2 months and wipe your strings with a tissue after every play.

No need to change every 2-3 weeks imo unless you're using ernie balls which become crud in a few weeks (excellent new though)
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Technique has basically become null and void when playing my guitar now. Tapping isn't even close to possible, no matter how good anyone is at it. Also, ya, sliding on the lower strings does hurt, luckily I barely do it.

I'm going to end up getting a bunch of sets with some extra money I'm getting, so hopefully the strings are all that need replaced. If not though, well, I'll be buying my friends Dean ML79
$30 for strings...I know your pain. Same **** at the store I go to, but it's along drive to even get there every 2 months or less.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab