So we've played a few gigs and looking back I can allways remember looking at my hands. Its not a matter of having to look at my hands to play and I can remember telling myself "look at the crowd" then i'd look up a bit then go back to looking at my hands.. I'd say to myself again "look at the f*cking crowd" but I cant stop it.

Does this give a poor image - not making eye contact? To be honest I have no idea why I do it. Nerves? Wanting to make sure I dont stuff up?

So I was wondering what everyone else thinks about eye contact.
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
make eye contact and smile or something every once in awhile, or just look straight.

it's OK to not keep 100% eye contact with the crowd.
Fender American Strat.
i try to look right to the back of the venue kinda over the crowd, that way its like im looking at them, but i dont have to see them looking at me, WATCHING, STARING, JUDGING....
Well they've come to enjoy, and so by association to some degree judge you.

Just do what feels right. Atleast you're playing at all! Attempt to look at the crowd as often as you can, but otherwise just whatever feels comfortable - experience is a large part of it.
anytime i watch a live performance by the greats (satriani, iron maiden, etc) they don't really keep eye contact, at least not in the way i think you mean. they're always kinda 'lost in the music' so to speak. they'll glance at the crowd, close their eyes and bob their heads, glance at their bandmates, then get to a crazy solo and get an expression in their face like they've been hit by lightning.

It's all about making a great show. sure, you don't want to stare at your hands the whole time, but don't stare at the audience either. thats just creepy showboat a bit
Well in acting class I've learned that if the crowd is big you have to look at the last row, that will everyone think you are looking at them.
Looking for a new sig!
It will give you some "mystique," like you're hiding something.

No, you at least need to have a little bit of facial interaction of the crowd.

EDIT: Actually, after thinking about that, I realized there alot of bands that have great guitar players that look at their fretboard alot, and I don't mind. Minus the Bear, Dillinger Escape Plan. Usually its becasue there constantly switching between tapping and pick, or there using loop/recording and other pedals in real time.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Last edited by rhymeswith suck at Oct 27, 2007,
I heard that Behemoth's bassist (Orion) during a live show just picks somebody in the crowd, and STARES at him during one song. Thats kinda creepy...
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
Quote by FuzzyBear
i try to look right to the back of the venue kinda over the crowd, that way its like im looking at them, but i dont have to see them looking at me, WATCHING, STARING, JUDGING....

I do the same pretty much, as far as they know ur just looking at them lol
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
While you don't have to stare at them all the time, audiences do tend to like it if you look at them now and then. That's why I practiced in the dark for a couple of years.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
What I do is I look at someone I know, then I scan the crowd for another person I know, and so on. Eventually you'll catch someones eye and if they smile or look like they're enjoying your music, it'll give you a nice confidence boost and that'll allow you to open up a little.

It really is hard to loosen up sometimes, but that's what your opening song(s) is/are for. You have to gain credibility from the audience in order to have the confidence to make eye contact.
Quote by Worhan
I heard that Behemoth's bassist (Orion) during a live show just picks somebody in the crowd, and STARES at him during one song. Thats kinda creepy...

that is pretty creepy, and what if the guy goes in the mosh or crowd surfs, he watches him the whole time?
Quote by Aussie_skater
that is pretty creepy, and what if the guy goes in the mosh or crowd surfs, he watches him the whole time?

Well, i think he only picks the guys that don't mosh..
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
I was at a small gig and a band called Self Against the City was playing. The bassist/singer stared at me solid for like two songs. It was so creepy. I didn't know what to do.
Grow really long hair and put it over your face so people dont know what your looking at.
it's not a big deal as long as you don't stare at the fretboard the whole time. i've been practicing playing with out looking at my hands for a while, and the only problem i've had is when i have to jump long distances on the fret board like from third to eighth fret or something like that.just remember that the crowd is there to see a show, so give them a show. find someone hot in the audience and look at them or look over the crowd, or look at the front row. just find what works for you.
ESP F-200 with Floyd Rose>

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo
BBE Boosta Grande
Fender Pedal Tuner>

Peavey Valveking 1x12
stare at your guitar and close your eyes and look like your really into it, then instead of them thinking "oh he's not good enough to look at the crowd" they'll think "he's playing with his mind, just wait, he'll rip a solo anytime now"..just that will give you respect, of course you'll have to do the solo but...
Look at the crowd but don't like, stare at people. I was at a show the other week and the singer just kept staring at me... It was weird. I met him after the show and that was kinda awkward too.
Sup?