Page 1 of 18
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
I think this thread's long overdue....

VOX! That magnificent manufacturer of amps, that malpractor of wahs, those innovating geniae (nice word eh)....

What do you own, love, or want Vox? An AC30, for your Queen tribute band? A Valvetronix, for moving into the world of -actually- tonal amps? A V847, for those Hendrix moments?

Vox owners, lovers and wanters can converge in here for the ULTIMATE Vox thread...

Let's start, shall we?

I have a V847a and may well be getting a 80s AC30TB to repair

You can join our group here.

You can send me any reviews of anything Voxy you have and I'll post them in here:

V847a Wah - MrCarrot
Awesome, great priced wah. If in the UK, try to snag one from thomann for £30 cheaper than UK price. Great traditional Hendrixy sound, good sweep and long battery life, much better than Crybabies. Built like a beast, cuts through exeptionally. On clean, I can basically nail the Voodoo Chile sound. It's great for RHCP moments too, it doesn't handle very high gain or bassy sounds well though. Great vocal sounding wah.

V848 Clyde McCoy Wah - zeppelinpage4 (Stolen from Ultimate wah thread)
It has a nice sweep, slightly bigger than the V847 for reference. The wah also has a “growl” to it, very classic sounding and vocal. However it’s very treble-y and requires a bit of control without making a harsh noise when pushing all the way down. Also in a line up if you put it after the distortion the wah tends to become more of a volume pedal (at least mine does). Last there is a dramatic decrease in volume when turned, this isn’t a huge problem but it still bothers a bit especially in the middle of a song.

AC50CP Classic Plus - Lbrooks
Well, i like the AC50cp a LOT. I can see why it has been getting a lot of flack though. It seemed to me that it was advertised as a metal amp whereas i consider it to be a louder, darker sounding AC30.

It does have some very obvious weak spots though, it struggles to get light crunch on the gain channel and i find the distortion rather fizzy and unfocused in the higher gain areas. When i add my EQ into the effects loop I get some additional hum (that could be the pedal though) but tightens up the gain fairly well creating a usable hard rock- lighter metal tone. When I use my BD-2 to get some light crunch i get some really nice bluesy sounds with it.

When I tested it with a MIM strat I was less impressed, it wasn't terrible but the tones coming from it were considerably worse than on my ibanez. I found the top end to be a bit hard to manipulate and the clean sounds i would get were either too bright or too muddy. I don't consider this to be due to the guitar though as when I tested a 4x10 fender deville with both guitars the same MIM strat smoked my ibanez tonally.

Overall i chose it because it took my ibanez better than anything else in its price range even though it was somewhat lackluster with a single coiled guitar.

:cheers
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Oct 25, 2007,
Lauke_101
Registered fx abuser
631 IQ
I still have my Pathfinder 15 and I'm gonna use it Friday in a small (like very small, maybe 40 people) gig in a cafe because I can't be arsed to drag my 2x12 around for that

IMO it's the best $100 practice amp you can get.. the cleans really are great, very warm and fat and the tremolo sounds really vintage like
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
bemoth
226 IQ
Own a vox AD30VT and i love the little sucker
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by METAL MILITIA1
i wish i had a vox

That's always a good start

Quote by Lauke_101
I still have my Pathfinder 15 and I'm gonna use it Friday in a small (like very small, maybe 40 people) gig in a cafe because I can't be arsed to drag my 2x12 around for that

IMO it's the best $100 practice amp you can get.. the cleans really are great, very warm and fat and the tremolo sounds really vintage like

I quite like Pathfinders too, they great for small home practice uses, I mean there's stuff like the EVJ at that range too but it is for sure quite a nice SS amp.

Quote by bemoth
Own a vox AD30VT and i love the little sucker

Today, AD30, tomorrow, AC30
slashs_#1_fan
UG's Biggest Slash fan
2,870 IQ
Although I am selling my AD50VT to help fund my recent purchase of a JCM800, i have nothing bad to say about the fella. Served me brilliantly and I recommend to anyone. Im still in love with the cleans it produces...
Johnonon
Sludgey Funky Blues
698 IQ
I've got a V847 wah, and my dad has an AD15VT. Fantastic products
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Reincaster
Call me Rein.
461 IQ
I've got the AC30 head from a decade ago, at least, I think. It's pretty sweet sounding too.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
head_strong
1,243 IQ
got me a ad30vt...best amp for its money and them sum imo. fricken sweet. just needs a lil beta high gain...but meh i still love it
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Woo, carry on with all the Vox love!

Post pics if you have them
Johnonon
Sludgey Funky Blues
698 IQ
It's the scond pedal i ever got

My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
jxljxl
Bestival 2009 FTW.
755 IQ
Yeah I got a V847 and an AD50vt

Vox rules
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Lbrooks
10 IQ
I have the new AC50cp 2x12 and an AD50vt to go alongside it, in fact my first ever amp was a vox pathfinder. I get the feeling I'll be a vox guy for life.
Ibanez SA2020FM Prestige
Ernie Ball Musicman Albert Lee 07 LE
Fender roadworn telecaster
VOX ac50cp 2x12
Boss blues driver BD-2
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Homebrew Electronics THC chorus
Guyatone FLIP tube echo
Boss Graphic EQ GE-7
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
^^^ Sweet rig!

^^

^ Nice, how'd you like the AC50CP?

Here's my budget friendly but rather amazing sounding rig:

Lbrooks
10 IQ
Well, i like the AC50cp a LOT. I can see why it has been getting a lot of flack though. It seemed to me that it was advertised as a metal amp whereas i consider it to be a louder, darker sounding AC30.

It does have some very obvious weak spots though, it struggles to get light crunch on the gain channel and i find the distortion rather fizzy and unfocused in the higher gain areas. When i add my EQ into the effects loop I get some additional hum (that could be the pedal though) but tightens up the gain fairly well creating a usable hard rock- lighter metal tone. When I use my BD-2 to get some light crunch i get some really nice bluesy sounds with it.

When I tested it with a MIM strat I was less impressed, it wasn't terrible but the tones coming from it were considerably worse than on my ibanez. I found the top end to be a bit hard to manipulate and the clean sounds i would get were either too bright or too muddy. I don't consider this to be due to the guitar though as when I tested a 4x10 fender deville with both guitars the same MIM strat smoked my ibanez tonally.

Overall i chose it because it took my ibanez better than anything else in its price range even though it was somewhat lackluster with a single coiled guitar.
Ibanez SA2020FM Prestige
VOX ac50cp 2x12
Boss blues driver BD-2
Guyatone FLIP tube echo
Boss Graphic EQ GE-7
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Quote by Lbrooks

Sweet. I'm gonna nick that review and add it to post #1
Lbrooks
10 IQ
^

Btw, how do you think a vox v847 wah would do for alternative/expirimental tones?
Ibanez SA2020FM Prestige
VOX ac50cp 2x12
Boss blues driver BD-2
Guyatone FLIP tube echo
Boss Graphic EQ GE-7
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Hmm, depends how gainy exactly. It gets those Classic Rock organic wah tones, like Hendrix and stuff, but like I said it doesn't like a lot of gain, you'd really have to try one to find out. For light overdrive, crunch, classic rock lead and clean it's sweet. But for anything past Hard Rock its usefulness starts to fade quite a bit.
johnny_tapia
Definitely Maybe..
1,944 IQ
I have an AD50VT and I used to own the v847. But it broke
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
Haha. Valvetronix seems popular.
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit
1,526 IQ
Quote by MrCarrot
Today, AD30, tomorrow, AC30

i mean, you just gotta change a letter, huh

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
add45
Adam "UG's Brigyptian"
133 IQ
Nice thread!
Does this also include those 60's VOX guitars? I love some of those so much...
This one time, I played this 1973 Rickenbacker 481 through a 60's VOX AC30 (JMI?) and it sounded like heaven! Erm, I'm assuming heaven has nice cleans...

Either way, Vox FTW!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
^ For sure! I've seen some of those Vox 12 strings, they look amazing!

Rickenbacker and an AC30 is probably the nicest clean tone I've ever heard. I heard a Gretsch through one once too, that was almost as good.
add45
Adam "UG's Brigyptian"
133 IQ
The guitars with the hexagonal shape are pretty cool, aren't they called Phantoms or something?
And I'll also promote the DA-5 while I'm at it. Great portable amp with some very usable settings and effects.

One of these days, I'm gonna get an AC30, probably a 2x12, probably a real old one if I could afford it!

Oh yeah, has anyone tried out those newish Heritage AC15s?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Heritage-Collection-AC15HTVH-15W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483042

Curious...
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
MrCarrot
Sup.
1,542 IQ
I really want to try one of those, actually. Looks very interesting with the Alnico speaker, blonde tolex, EF86 and Top Boost channel...
hendriko
Purple is a Fruit
1,526 IQ
i didnt like it too much...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
yzmxer931
265 IQ
i wish i had an ac30cc2x so much. playing that w/ a sunburst es335 is heaven. i also need a v847. wah pedals are so sick.
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
Tombe
Post-Rocker
794 IQ
I absolutely love my AD50VT, can't believe I only paid £200 for such an amp. It's incredibly versatile and every model sounds amazing, especially the Boutique Clean which is the one I use as my main sound.

When I used it in our leavers' concert at school a couple of years ago everyone else was begging me to let them plug into my amp instead of their awful selection of MGs and Peavey Bandits. And at the end all the acts played Don't Stop Me Now together - we managed to absolutely nail Brian May's tone with the AC30TB model!

But I still really wish I could afford an AC30.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
slatsmania
downright dinosaurian
1,012 IQ
Former owner of a Vox AD30VT, current owner of this...

Vox AC30CC1! Pawn shop find that cost me less than a new AD50VT.

It may not have the signature Celestion Blues, but I can tell you it sounds damn sweet thru the Tone Tubby cab it's sitting on with it's alnico 10's.

Also have a V847 and a V847a, 'cause I'm a wah'n fool. Actually I handed the original down to my son when I got the new one...
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
igotabcrich32
Is Dan
1,431 IQ
I'm about to pull the trigger on an AC30cch head. Trading my Deluxe Reverb for it. i'm sure going to miss the DRRI but i think i'll like the Vox more.

i'll let you guys know when i get it.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Blompcube
Registered User Error
4,278 IQ
I have an AD50VT (which i'm extremely pleased with), from now on i will probably never get any amp other than another vox, probably an AC30
Rig: (under construction)
1979 Yamaha SG1000
Fender Jazzmaster
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
add45
Adam "UG's Brigyptian"
133 IQ
^
That's just shmexy!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
DickyB25
21 IQ
Getting a Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL soon and I can't wait
johnny_tapia
Definitely Maybe..
1,944 IQ
Quote by slatsmania
Vox AC30CC1! Pawn shop find that cost me less than a new AD50VT.

Lucky bastard........

Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
RizzoWashburn
Unregistered User
283 IQ

I totally have a VOX!

Valvetronix = ultimate glam-punk machine!
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
zeppelinpage4
1-800-GOLDEN-GOD
2,921 IQ
I have a Vox V848 wah and a Valvetronix Ad30vt.

Both of which are great especially the valvetronix, might save and get an AC30 for my next amp too.

Edit: Only pic I could get of the amp and wah together.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 25, 2007,
Steve BP
Sonic Abuser
108 IQ
My first amp was the DA15, the DA5's larger brother (same thing, but with an 8" speaker). It served me very well during my first forays into guitars and effects. I'm giving it to a buddy who is buying his first guitar this weekend, because I don't have the space in my apartment, and I wanted to see the amp go to a good home (sort of like giving away a cherished puppy).

While shopping for an upgrade, I had my heart set on a Vox AC30cc. I love the Vox chime & crunch. But I wound up purchasing a Mesa Express instead, though, because the clean channel on the Express does a really nice AC30 imitation.