Page 3 of 18
Vox V847 modded with true bypass and higher sweep.

Best wah ever.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by thewho65
Isn't that an AC15?

I dont think they make the ac15 with 2 speakers..thats an ac 30...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by latinosuperstud
not sure if anyone else has covered this, but didnt the old voxes use to have alot of reliability issues... i remember that the beatles often complained about them breaking down alot

Yeah, I've heard of that before... I mean, if it's a really nice amp then I might be willing to get it fixed and whatnot. I'll have to try and find a good one I guess Thanks for the warning though.

Quote by the.spine.surfs
Portability, vibe, simplicity. Not anytime soon, but it might be my college graduation to self gift.

Ah right, cool
Just telling you though, I've seen an AC-15 in live, and it's pretty big Pretty close to the size of an AC-30. But hey, if you like it, that's what counts.

*is secretly recomending an AC30 *
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
i have a vox AC50 classic plus top & vox 4x12 cab

It was my first top & cab ever bought, and well, im pretty OK with it, now that I have been playing with it for a while, even gigged with it once... i know how to tweak it todo what I want..
You do get quite alot of features for the money.. the clean channel is sparkly and I really like it, its the channel that sounds the best, and you can get quite a nice crunchy overdrive tone from it, if you crank up the gain. (also put the Master channel on max). Works great for rock, indie, blues and jazz. If you have a nice set of pedals, you could probably do without the lead-channel(channel 2)

the channel 2 is ... well. Supposedely be the "modern" feature in this top, adding more higain sounds. But it really sounds too muddy when you start adding too much gain, even though you apply the "Bright" function. It also has a boost button, to add some kind of preamp stage with more gain, and add more upper-midrange...

But this channel only works if you work with the master & volume knob, to get a more overdriven tube sound, while keeping the gain at a low setting... in my opinion. The distortion just sounds too damn fizzy and muddy. Use a distortion-pedal instead on this channel if you want more rich creamy distortion.

Could depend on the guitar i guess as well, but havent noticed that much of a difference.. I use a Epiphone Sheraton II, with Gibson 57s, and 57s plus pickups.

otherwise, it works great as of now i guess, but I am probably thinking of switching over to a marshall or an orange (traitor!)
Quote by ECistheBest
i'm jealous of voxes...

see!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^whenever i have the money for it i guess...im hoping next summer

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^ Me either! 5 pages already.

^^ Cool man, cool. I might have a build thread on the way if I get my AC30 - renovating the amp, building my uber Tubescreamer with Mosfet clipping and a Brian May treble boost in a Rangemaster box
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
the thing i really like about vox is how you can get a really nice trebly sound without it being too ear piercing. some amps i have to crank the treble to get the right amount of sparkle i need, and then that just makes it sound absolutely terrible when the volume is turned up
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well I have the high end Valvetronics amp. Just look at the sig... I've just joined but im wanting to get out of it!?!?! :S:S Crazy or what?

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by apmaman
Well I have the high end Valvetronics amp. Just look at the sig... I've just joined but im wanting to get out of it!?!?! :S:S Crazy or what?

hehe. i'd buy it, except i'm completely happy with my cheapo 112 AD50VT
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
finally! a thread to appreciate some of the greatest amps in the world =]
tried out an ac30 and loved it, gorgeous clean and overdriive - i must have it!
anybody tried this out with an overdrive on the top boost channel? i can only imagine how good it would sound
^I've tried an old AC30 with an Overdrive on the clean channel, but not top boost.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
I love the trebley sound an AC30 can get. Really bright but not harsh. Like Brian May and Rick Nielson.
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by add45
^I've tried an old AC30 with an Overdrive on the clean channel, but not top boost.

ah cool, what sort of sounds can it make?
^Can't remember fully, it was just trying out in a shop for a short while... But it sounded nice and "creamy" with the OD, it was a smooth drive. Bypassed, the cleans were crystal! I really wanna get my hands on that battered old amp now...
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
I have a question for the mighty brotherhood of VOX. I'll be looking for a new tube amp this summer, and im a huge fan of the VOX tone (i currently own an AD50VT) so naturally, teh AC30 sprung out as a good choice. however, i play mainly mid-gain punk and grunge (alice in chains, pearl jam and rise against are probably the best examples of these), and i heard that it doesnt handle gain that well. so basically my question is, is that true? If i got the right distortion/overdrive pedals, would i be able to get enough gain out of it to satisfy my style of music?
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by deathbyawesome
I have a question for the mighty brotherhood of VOX. I'll be looking for a new tube amp this summer, and im a huge fan of the VOX tone (i currently own an AD50VT) so naturally, teh AC30 sprung out as a good choice. however, i play mainly mid-gain punk and grunge (alice in chains, pearl jam and rise against are probably the best examples of these), and i heard that it doesnt handle gain that well. so basically my question is, is that true? If i got the right distortion/overdrive pedals, would i be able to get enough gain out of it to satisfy my style of music?

XL range for you
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
XL range for you

isn't the XL range valvatronix, therefore hybrid amps? I would really like a tube amp.
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Vox AD50VT
Quote by deathbyawesome

Well I would actually not recommend a Vox, even though they have a "high gain" amp, there are better for your styles. I would recommend something like a Marshall JCM800 instead.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well I would actually not recommend a Vox, even though they have a "high gain" amp, there are better for your styles. I would recommend something like a Marshall JCM800 instead.

Ill have to check them out, but my guitar store is kinda sucky about amps, the only marshall amps they have usually are MGs
EDIT: I'm having a hard time finding them on any online stores, can you give me a link to one?
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by deathbyawesome at Oct 28, 2007,
Quote by Gabel
Ah I see.

Well maybe a Peavey Windsor and a good cab?

I'm really looking for a combo a head and stack are probably gonna be a little out of my price range, but ill check it out, but again, i dont think my guitar store carrys any, especially around this tim eof year, now jsut abou tall tehy have is 15 watt MG's and Spyder III's for all the kids getting guitars for chirstmas.
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Vox AD50VT
I think they have a Peavey Windsor combo now, but it's 15 watts and i'm not sure if all stores have them yet.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I guess from the fact that all of you are suggesting different amps, the AC30 is definatly too low gain for me? oh well
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Vox AD50VT
Well i've never properly played an AC30, but i'm sure with the top boost and a good pedal it could work I think.

Any chance you can try the amp out? Cause we can all say different things but in the end it's down to your opinion. Since your not sure it might be a good idea to check out some sound clips or try the amp.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Well i've never properly played an AC30, but i'm sure with the top boost and a good pedal it could work I think.

Any chance you can try the amp out? Cause we can all say different things but in the end it's down to your opinion. Since your not sure it might be a good idea to check out some sound clips or try the amp.

I have tried the amp out, however i have only really tried it clean sounding, because i couldnt find a distortion or overdrive pedal to plug into it, it sounded amazing clean, but I've heard that it doesnt handle mid gain stuff very well, and i play about 50/50 between mid-gain and clean, so i want it to be able to do both well. Also, you say a good pedal, any pedals in mind? im probably not getting the amp until the middle of the summer, but i like to think about these things.
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Vox AD50VT
i've played it, but without any pedals going through it. it has quite a bit of gain, but the problem is that it's just not voiced for modern stuff. with an overdrive pedal it could do lots of hard rock, but if the band uses triple rectos you're outta luck.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Aye ^

I suppose a good treble boost or and OD/Fuzz.

If you do want metal I heard the Metal Muffs are good. Don't know how it would work out with an AC30 though. Then again if you want modern metal the AC30 as others have said may not be the right amp to get.
I'm assuming though that you want, good cleans and a heavy hard rock sort of gain, in which case you could probably use the AC30.
i'd suggest messing with the top boost channel a bit and seeing if the store will let you run it with some overdrive pedals.

yay for treble boosters!!!

i can make one for you.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yay for treble boosters!!!

i can make one for you.

really? how much?

Edit: to zeppelinpage: Im not gonna play metal through the thing (unless your one of those crazy people who says alice in chains is metal), mostly punk and grunge.
to unsignedrecords: although i play more modern stuff, i kinda like playing it with vintage tones, kinda gives it a different vibe.
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by deathbyawesome at Oct 28, 2007,
Then actually I think the AC30 could work especially with some sort of good fuzz or overdrive. I'm only making assumptions though i've only tried the AC30 once with it's overdrive.

i can make a OC71 Dallas Rangemaster Clone or a cheaper alternative JFET Treble booster. PM me for quotes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by deathbyawesome
I've heard that it doesnt handle mid gain stuff very well, and i play about 50/50 between mid-gain and clean, so i want it to be able to do both well.

You have heard incorrectly.

The amp has excellent crunch on it's own. Certainly up to "mid-gain" levels. I'd say you could do everything you wanted on an AC30 without a pedal in your chain. A little deft use of your guitar's volume knob will be sufficient.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by the_guy
ah cool, what sort of sounds can it make?

magik

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame