Page 5 of 18
^ It's different in the UK, originals are hard to come by and used ones go for even more than new ones! It's a lot of hassle.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Small stone, and MAYBE something else, a few cables and bits, but not much year, parents are a bit short of cash.

Wouldn't complain about a bit of treble loss with the Jag/VC
V847s aren't that hard to get. I wanted one over the V847a and i found one in the first shop i went in.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
wtf!?!

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Shush Geoff. =P

Anyway my shops are crappy, they might have some left over at back alley but theyre (a) overpriced and (b) they hate me in there because i try everything out and dont buy anything, except the laney.
would you like me to review the AC15CC1? truley great 15watter.

anyway yea i'm getting the AC30 tomorrow hopefully, got my trusty old v847 as well, magnificent wah i must say. Vox are my favourite manufacturer of all things amplification. they are the old school tone legends.
Quote by add45

hahaa sorry, but i really shuddered
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by MrCarrot
Here's a DSL401 Schem

If anybody wondered why they didn't sound great, that's why. So much complex SS parts in there... SS Reverb, SS fx loop.... I'm willing to bet if you put a good amount of time and research in, removed the FX Loop and Reverb, purified the signal chain a bit (I mean, look at all the chips and Transistors for god's sake!!!) you could have a very nice amp...

hm. yea. i'd love to bypass all that **** haha. and it looks like it's only using half the poewertubes... like half of each one. no wonder they never die.

where should i start with? lol mosfet clippers?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Looks like it's using all the EL84s to me, it looks similar to the Vox AC30 poweramp section...

If you can decode what the pots are, where the traces lead and where the wires are going, I'd try and bypass the Reverb and FX loop first of all... It'd mean a lot of jumpering and removing of components, but I can't help but think the tone would be so much purer...
yea me too. i'll search on what's being used for which section of the amp... this might be long...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It'll be worth it. I find the most important bit of a build is the planning. You can take as long as you like wiring it, but if your plan's crap then it's all gonna do down the pan. There doesn't seem to be many JCM2000 mod sites, so you'll have to gun alone...

I'm trying to devise a channel switching scheme for my AC30. The original had 6 input jacks, I'm gonna have 1, with a gain switch and footswitchable channel switch... Just need to figure out how to wire a footswitch....
Quote by one vision
AC30 nice. The AC30TB setting on my valvetronix AD50vt blows my mind, i can only dream about getting a real AC30 one day.

im gonna get one im gonna get one

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by beckyjc
Shush Geoff. =P

Anyway my shops are crappy, they might have some left over at back alley but theyre (a) overpriced and (b) they hate me in there because i try everything out and dont buy anything, except the laney.

They shouldn't hate you for that. How do you know whether you want it or not unless you try it?

It never bothered me when i used to work in a guitar shop.
No idea, they just dislike me trying stuff.
Might have a look in dawsons for stuff. But you can guarantee they'll be overpriced, but they dont mind me asking to try out amps that cost more than all my organs.
Just got my AC30, it is the ultimate tone machine. I was blown away with it, it's so clean and unique, it's got no end of stuff to play with and it's a magnificent piece of early amplification
^^i hate you

i want mine!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

I have a Valvetronix AD30VT. I want get some cool pedals like a fuzz pedal. I already own a Big Muff Pi. I received this amp from my parents for my B-day. However, as I read I hear this is not a good amp for pedals at all. Why is that? Why is this such a touted amp if it can't really go outside of it's own box?

Not that I want to be disappointed with my purchase, but I don't want to be stuck with a tone that'll never sound good. :/
Quote by DAaaMan64
I have a Valvetronix AD30VT. I want get some cool pedals like a fuzz pedal. I already own a Big Muff Pi. I received this amp from my parents for my B-day. However, as I read I hear this is not a good amp for pedals at all. Why is that? Why is this such a touted amp if it can't really go outside of it's own box?

Not that I want to be disappointed with my purchase, but I don't want to be stuck with a tone that'll never sound good. :/

Try a tube screamer, Boss DS 1 or similar, they should work well with your valvetronix.
Quote by Guy Onraet
Try a tube screamer, Boss DS 1 or similar, they should work well with your valvetronix.

An I really gonna hear much of a difference with the DS-1 over the stuff built into the amp?

And what about fuzz? Do I even want to use a fuzz?
Quote by one vision
^luckee how much did it cost you??

erm well i swapped my ac15 for it, i had to pay an extra £76 though but it should have been an extra £200 but there was a slight cosmetical issue with it (slight tear on the cab) but ye it works lovely so i got a right bargain.
fuzz>all

im building a fuzzblaster for my ac30 (which im gonna get...some time...)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

i almost got a AC15 with blue speakers but i ended up getting my laney..i just dont like how vox amps are made in china now
^id have chosen the vox immediately..laneys break to easily

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

I want a Clyde McWah and an AC30CC so badly(3 of them actually, modified, yes, I a May fan).
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
I own a AD50VT at the moment (if there's no review up yet I'll do it, no time to check, work work :P) and I totally love it. Only thing is that I can't get my USA Muff to sound just right through it, anyone got some suggestions for that?
Make cupcakes, not war

Member #27 of the Electroharmonix users guild
I have an AD50VT also, but not that USA Muff so can't help you there, it's a decent amp, I like it

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by hendriko
^id have chosen the vox immediately..laneys break to easily

Not had any problems with mine. I've had my VC30 since July too.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I want an AC30 :drools:. Can someone tell me how much clean headroom it has though? I'm looking for like unmicd gigging level cleans. We don't do any real gigs or anything yet but we probably will before too long. Right now its mainly just playing at school assemblies, parties, and community festivals and whatnot at the park in the summer.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Wow. When I first glanced at the thread title, I thought it said the brotherhood of "cox". That would have made this thread very weird.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Wow. When I first glanced at the thread title, I thought it said the brotherhood of "cox". That would have made this thread very weird.

The Brotherhood of Dr. Cox!
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by natel0083
I want more amp pr0n.

Quote by soul_power
I want an AC30 :drools:. Can someone tell me how much clean headroom it has though? I'm looking for like unmicd gigging level cleans. We don't do any real gigs or anything yet but we probably will before too long. Right now its mainly just playing at school assemblies, parties, and community festivals and whatnot at the park in the summer.

I think that you might be pushing it, but if you don't mind a bit of grit then you can get the amp pretty loud. I know that I run out of clean headroom when playing ska with others though.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by LuthierofTexas

havent seen you here in a while!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame