okay i play old school thrash and death metal (megadeth, death, metallica, morbid angel, slayer, etc.) ...... im thinking about getting a schecter c-1 blackjack for christmas.. it comes with seymour duncan 59 and jb pickups..are these good for metal or should i get something else? how do i tell what i want because i can't try a pickup out..? I DO NOT WANT ACTIVES!
'59/JB set should be fine for metal.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by kirkhammett09
okay i play old school thrash and death metal (megadeth, death, metallica, morbid angel, slayer, etc.) ...... im thinking about getting a schecter c-1 blackjack for christmas.. it comes with seymour duncan 59 and jb pickups..are these good for metal or should i get something else? how do i tell what i want because i can't try a pickup out..? I DO NOT WANT ACTIVES!

It's mostly down to your amp. You could get some really hot actives, but through a nice amp almost any pickup will do.

Also, about the Schecter, I hope you're going to try it first. I've heard some good things about them but the number one complaint is that the necks are pretty fat, so try it first to see if you like the way it feels.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
yeah im gonna try it out first... i have a '50s reissue strat now so anything with humbuckers is an upgrade...also my strat has a fat maple neck so maybe ill be used to it.....thanks all, i was just seeing if i would need to upgrade pickups (i was looking at duncan invaders and the dimarzio x2n)..but if u think its fine for thrash then already then thats even better
Micheal Amott is one of the most influential Death-Metal guitarrists and he uses a 59'/JB setup on his ESP Ninja signature guitar
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
They are good, if you dont like them try the dimebucker, my friend has one on his dime o flame and holy **** its amazing!!!
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by metallica_death
They are good, if you dont like them try the dimebucker, my friend has one on his dime o flame and holy **** its amazing!!!

Yeah....don't get the dimebucker......
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Try a X2N, heard good things about that one... need to try it out myself some time though.
ESP LTD M-400
Marshall JCM 800 2205 Halfstack
Dunlop Crybaby
Keeley BOSS SD-1
MXR 10 band EQ
iSP Decimator
Why not wait until you get it and try them? The only issue that comes to mind with the JB is its a bit lacking in bass response, but for what you're playing, it should be fine, especially if that Schecter has a mahogany body.
I've got a 59/JB in my guitar, and they're excellent for metal.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
SD Blackouts
GUITARS:
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Jackson DX10D Rhoads (EMG 81/85)
Jackson Dinky (dimebucker)
Epiphone les paul custom
Godin freeway floyd
AMPS:
Hughes and Kettner triliogy head + 4x12 cab
Line 6 spider 2 head w/ marshall 1960 B cab
Blackouts are active I thought...

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by PlagueX1
Blackouts are active I thought...

oh yeah.....dammit sorry.lol
GUITARS:
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Jackson DX10D Rhoads (EMG 81/85)
Jackson Dinky (dimebucker)
Epiphone les paul custom
Godin freeway floyd
AMPS:
Hughes and Kettner triliogy head + 4x12 cab
Line 6 spider 2 head w/ marshall 1960 B cab
The JB/59 set is used by a lot of metal guitarrists. I would say JB/59 or Custom/59 or DiMazior ToneZone/AirNorton
it depends on the sound u want. if its just for metal then the dimebucker is def the way to go. If ur looking to play metal and some softer stuff, check out the jb
Dimarzio make nice ones, maybe try the new D Activators? If that's too heavy try the Evo's, D Sonic, Tone Zone, Super Distortion, ect.
I completely forgot about dimarzios. I'd say they're way better than the seymour duncans.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
I like passives over active pups. When I was collecting Gibsons back in the late 70s early 80s. Later I swapped out a few Les Pauls, Explorers and my Melody Maker pups with DiMarzio Super Distortions that I really loved the sound of them back then. I never compared the sound of any other brand name pup back then. I saved the original Gibson pups so when I sold the guitars I was able to give the originals with the guitars. In hinde site I should have swapped the originals back before I sold them and kept the DiMarzios. Now I have a couple guitars with Duncans and I really like those but need to get a set of DiMarzios in a guitar I have now so I can hear the difference. I am finding it hard to pick a set of pups for my next build A guitar you can play and feel and hear the difference unless you can find a guitar with the pick up you want to hear your kind of flipping a coin. I don't want to spend a boat load of dough to install a set of pups only to find out I don't care for them. I have been out of the whole guitar thing for too long and it seems there is just so much more to pick from.