Poll: Do you like 1 or 2?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like 1 or 2?
The Rising-Narcotics
6 11%
Lost Remote-Okonkole
51 89%
Voters: 57.
Narc's was quite messy. There was times when the underlying didn't match with the drone or vice versa. And then there were random high notes that didn't make any sense. There were a lot of timing problems with the overdubs too. I guess it was more the overdubs didn't fit rhythmically or harmonically with the original line. Neat ideas, just very messy and uncoordinated.

Okonkole very well done. Fabulous ideas and a good piece. I liked the melodic solo but it would have been nice to hear some variation in the chords underlying it. Maybe a key change somewhere. It got a little boring. Overall the timing, except for in a few scattered spots, was good. You also did the smart thing, you took the bassline quite low and the melodic line quite high, making sure that the note clashes would be at a minimum and clarity at it's maximum. That said, I loved when you took the melody line down into the bass register and added some neat dissonance.

I think it's pretty obvious who gets my vote.
the pole has been quite biased so far (5-0), but i was quite torn between them.

I'm sure i would have liked narcotics more if it was all in time and everything and if he got rid of that dissonant organ bit.

I really enjoyed Okonkoles, great tone,harmonics and great improv melody. infact i'm going back to listen again

even if okonkole wins by a land slide narcotics still has my prop's.
Last edited by Flea_Is_God at Oct 25, 2007,
Bales said pretty much everything I was going to say, just one thing, you both had pretty nice tone on those recordings, did you go straight into PC or did you mic or what?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
My vote goes to the Okx.

I agree with everything that's been said before.

Narc, it seems to me you're trying stuff that's out of your comfort zone. Although it's good to throw yourself out there, it's also good to stick with what you know and to create an awesome piece within your current boundaries, especially with competition pieces. Gambles can be good, but not all the time.

Technique wise, you need to look at that left hand. I heard a lot of rattle, a lot of what I call "slipped notes", or notes that initially sound, but the decay is killed by poor fingering. Listen to your recording, pick out what you feel is wrong, or could do better, and iron it out. You've been playing 2 years, there's no shame in taking time out to improve on the basics.
I'm going with Okonkole aswell, it's a very well written and fluid piece. Narcotics lacked the finesse and sparkle- some notes were a bit dodgy and out of time. If the two tracks were in time, you could have had a chance. I think there were some very nice ideas in yours, Narc, but they need polish.

Gratz to both of you, nice work.
signature
Quote by indie-bassist
Bales said pretty much everything I was going to say, just one thing, you both had pretty nice tone on those recordings, did you go straight into PC or did you mic or what?

I have a digital recorder that I used for this recording. I didn't really have time to get it to sound like it should have since it was already late when I took it off the recorder.

Thanks everyone for the critique.
I liked both but I thought narcotic's was verry random.
Okonkole's reminded me of elevator music.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Ditto Bales and everyone's else comments. But I think if Narc worked his a bit more it could be a great piece, some nice ideas there.
I voted for Okonkole, quite simply the best piece yet. Now, if only it had been a little quicker it would have really come alive!

Narcotics, good effort; +1 to the sentiment that it needs a tidy up, and some development. Actually, I could see this in a film score: Saw VI perhaps? The basic idea's ripe for development (maybe minus the Hammond bits?). Good try at producing too.

Well done both
I gave Narcotics my vote for effort, but I do believe Okonkole was superior to it. (Sorry to give you a pity vote) I liked both of them and I can tell from whoever wins, I'm going to have a tough time next round.
wow, i voted for lost remote myself, that was really great.....

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I really enjoyed lost remote, the rising was good, but it just lacked the continuity (sp?) that Okonkole had.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
i haven't voted yet, but i have listened to both. Narco's sounds like an honest attempt at putting down an entertaining multitrack, bass oriented track.
Okonkole's track is done by obviously higher skills. if he is truly playing all of the 4 tracks, including rythym guitar(bass?), two bass tracks, and a lead bass track, my congrats. my vote to follow.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i haven't voted yet, but i have listened to both. Narco's sounds like an honest attempt at putting down an entertaining multitrack, bass oriented track.
Okonkole's track is done by obviously higher skills. if he is truly playing all of the 4 tracks, including rythym guitar(bass?), two bass tracks, and a lead bass track, my congrats. my vote to follow.

If that's the case, that's a DQ.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

It's only two tracks. I played the chords and the bass rhythm at the same time on one track while I soloed over it on the other track.
Quote by FbSa
Wait, wait, wait, how many instruments did you have in it?

My recording is of one instrument (bass), recorded on two tracks. I played the chords and bass parts at one time on one track and the lead melody on another track.
Ok Ok Ok Ok, i really like what Okonkole did in here 0.0 2 bass tracks plus a bass lead, i just didnt thinked on doing that still for my stuff :3, I think a lot of changes will be made in my music MUAHAHAHAHHAHA...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Okonkole
It's only two tracks. I played the chords and the bass rhythm at the same time on one track while I soloed over it on the other track.

you produced a nice piece of music, and it could very well be, only two tracks. but it sounds like you recorded the rythym/bass track then, recorded a second bass track, then played the lead track over that. and technically, thats three tracks. i sure would like to hear the two tracks, one at a time, to convince my ears, that the bass line could be played, while playing the rythym chords. i'm still thinkin', it's at least three tracks. i'm not questioning you're abilities, i'm just thinking, Narco was out-gunned in this match-up. i also believe, the only way to get better, is to compete against better players.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
you produced a nice piece of music, and it could very well be, only two tracks. but it sounds like you recorded the rythym/bass track then, recorded a second bass track, then played the lead track over that. and technically, thats three tracks. i sure would like to hear the two tracks, one at a time, to convince my ears, that the bass line could be played, while playing the rythym chords. i'm still thinkin', it's at least three tracks. i'm not questioning you're abilities, i'm just thinking, Narco was out-gunned in this match-up. i also believe, the only way to get better, is to compete against better players.

I put the separate tracks in my profile. It's still so quiet, I must have recorded it at a low volume, but you should be able to hear me hammering on some of the bass notes from an open string. If you can't really tell from the tracks I could tab out what I play or put up a video of me playing it.

Thanks for all the comments.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

+1, if that is done in two tracks, you are a good two handed-tapper OR you have one of the best left hands. I don't say you cheated though
I love both pieces. When i hear lost remote I actually feel like Im looking for a remote.
Excellent remote searching music.
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Well, I've decided my ruling. The vote stands at 51 to 6 in favor of Okonkole, he advances to the next round. There will be no penaltys and what not, BUT I do want you to upload the tab of it so we (The judges Panel) can review it.
Quote by FbSa
Well, I've decided my ruling. The vote stands at 51 to 6 in favor of Okonkole, he advances to the next round. There will be no penaltys and what not, BUT I do want you to upload the tab of it so we (The judges Panel) can review it.

What's the point in reviewing it if there's gonna be no penalties?
Maybe if someone else with no vested interest in the outcome could post a recording from Okonkole's tab, it could be verified in the manner of a peer review.
People with vested interests in the outcome do not make impartial judges. Wisdom of Solomon and all that...