Sort of a lame question but I am really bad at tabbing chords that aren't power chords and I hear a couple of these when I listen to bands like Van Halen and I can't work them out so I was wondering if someone could post some chords that are used a lot in Hair Metal and or sound good with distortion or something. Thanks.
looking at Motley Crue and (ok, not so much, but) Guns N' Roses, they both use power chords, but with only the first & third fingers at work, and a lot of it's just playing around with palm-muting. Best thing to do would be to grab a few tabs from here & just see what tricks they usually use.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Hair metal, doesn't usually require levels of distortion that render anything but 5ths mud, so for a start you can definitely make things major or minor, or however you want them to be. It's still best to play fewer strings though, so for example take running with the devil, that starts with a Cb (the guitar is tuned down half a step remember though), but the chord played is:
x
x
x

Which is basically a Cb major shape without the low Cb root note, but the notes present in order from lowest to highest are the fifth, the octave of the root which isn't really present, and the third.

My music theory is terrible, so if that is wrong, someone please correct me.

Basically take some normal strumming chords and cut out some of the strings so you can easily play them with distortion and palm mute them. Also make quick changed for example between a D shape and a Dsus2 shape 9 (take the start of unchained)
Last edited by isotone at Oct 25, 2007,
Quote by isotone
Hair metal, doesn't usually require levels of distortion that render anything but 5ths mud, so for a start you can definitely make things major or minor, or however you want them to be. It's still best to play fewer strings though, so for example take running with the devil, that starts with a Cb (the guitar is tuned down a step remember though), but the chord played is:
x
x
x

Which is basically a Cb major shape without the low Cb root note, but the notes present in order from lowest to highest are the fifth, the octave of the root which isn't really present, and the third.

Basically take some normal strumming chords and cut out some of the strings so you can easily play them with distortion and palm mute them. Also make quick changed for example between a D shape and a Dsus2 shape 9 (take the start of unchained)

Your music theory may be terrible, but you are the one to listen to in this thread.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
I know that motley crue uses a lot of 4ths (see Live Wire and Shout at the Devil) and open string drones. That's the only reference I really have. I'm more into 80's metal which uses 5ths, 3rds, and 6ths.
Quote by isotone
Hair metal, doesn't usually require levels of distortion that render anything but 5ths mud, so for a start you can definitely make things major or minor, or however you want them to be. It's still best to play fewer strings though, so for example take running with the devil, that starts with a Cb (the guitar is tuned down half a step remember though), but the chord played is:
x
x
x

Quick one: Even though the Cb isn't the lowest note, the root is still present because there is a Cb there
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Quick one: Even though the Cb isn't the lowest note, the root is still present because there is a Cb there

I wasn't quite sure how to put it before, I was really trying to show how it differed from a standard Cb major chord which it is derived from:

5 <- Octave of the root
3 <- This being the 'root' in that chord
x
''Octave'' and ''root'' are both roots.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.