Page 1 of 2
Ok here's the deal
I'm saving up (HARD!) for a new amp head and that literally means saving the majority of my paycheck + EMA each month (around £250 a month)
so far i've got £520 and my next paycheck is coming next week so i should have enough pretty soon.

I currently have a marshall TSL60 head which just doesn't really do it for me unfortunately. Not enough gain, abit too muddy but it was good for what it was which was a mid priced all tube head.

This Head would be going with a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab
See my sig for the guitars I will be using with it

I'm looking for an amp thats versatile enough to suit a few styles but mainly metal
basically something that can do high gain excellently, low gain sufficently enough to get by and also decent cleans

i've got a budget of a MAXIMUM of £1280 although this is only if i really am benefiting by spending this (I was thinking framus cobra when i set this boundary )

heres my list so far, feel free to add:

Carvin V3
apparently the most versatile amp around and amazing value for something that supposedly competes with a rectifier

ENGL Powerball
An amp i've been looking at for a long time, amazing high gain, excellent cleans and can also do marshally crunch when required

EVH 5150 III
If its good enough for eddy its good enough for me!
If its anything like the 5150/6505 then the high gain will be amazing, i've read in guitar world that is a brilliant all round amp for a variety of tones

Framus Amps
The dragon is more within my budget but I could stretch to the cobra if it is as good as people go on about. From what I hear the cobra has amazing cleans, amazing high gain and the crunch is awesome.
The dragon is supposed to be an un-hott-rodded version of the cobra so probs less gain

Krank Revolution
I really like the distortion of Kranks amps, particularly on As I Lay Dying's 'Nothing Left' which has an amazing low end chainsaw kind of tone which I love.
It seems versatile from the sound clips on the site and apparently has excellent 'Kleens' too.
Although for £1200 some people seem to call them "Piles of toneless ****" lol

Marshalls
Not too sure if i want another marshall although I love 80's hair metal/thrash and a JCM800 would be awesome for this but it probably wouldn't be able to hack extremely high gain
JCM900 maybe would be able to hack all of those
or the Kerry King sig 2203KK maybe?

Peaveys
6505+ sounds good and i could get it used for uber-cheap although versatility is not what this amps about, even though the high gain is incredible
JSX seems more versatile but i really know hardly anything about these

Randall V2
Arch enemy use these it seems and they have a good high gain tone, don't know much about these tbh though

So then... what do ya reckon?
any opinions on these plus more suggestions would be great

BTW its not easy for me just to go to a shop near me and try these out since hardly anywhere stock them!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Last edited by samtewari at Oct 25, 2007,
i was in a similar situation as you, and managed to get a Mesa Boogie Dual rectifier for £1,095. worth every penny, particularly as they retail for 1800. Check eBay, alot are local pick up only but its easy to arrange a courier yourself.
Carvins are hard to get a hold of in the UK.

Discount Marshall immediately.

Ignore Krank, they're naff.

I've heard clips of the 5150III and it's got good high gain but no real cleans, like the 6505 and original 5150.

I've played ENGLs and I've got to say I absolutely adore the things, great tone be it metal or Fendery bright cleans. It's quite versatile and an awesome piece of kit.

Never tried framus so I couldn't comment on them, meant to be great though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Carvins are hard to get a hold of in the UK.

Discount Marshall immediately.

Ignore Krank, they're naff.

I've heard clips of the 5150III and it's got good high gain but no real cleans, like the 6505 and original 5150.

I've played ENGLs and I've got to say I absolutely adore the things, great tone be it metal or Fendery bright cleans. It's quite versatile and an awesome piece of kit.

Never tried framus so I couldn't comment on them, meant to be great though.

you can get a carvin V3 for 725 quid from guitar lefty in liverpool
it like the only dealer in the UK

the powerball is very appealing
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

I know they are incredibly over-priced here in the UK, but Mesa Mark IVs are supposidly superb, they have the high-gain of a triple-rec, but also go lower gain, great crunch and aparently not too shabby cleans (which lets face it is pretty rare in a high-gain tube amp)
Quote by samtewari
you can get a carvin V3 for 725 quid from guitar lefty in liverpool
it like the only dealer in the UK

the powerball is very appealing

Ah, that'd explain why I've never found one.

Yeah, I highly recommend looking into various ENGLs.
Quote by Hakanku
I know they are incredibly over-priced here in the UK, but Mesa Mark IVs are supposidly superb, they have the high-gain of a triple-rec, but also go lower gain, great crunch and aparently not too shabby cleans (which lets face it is pretty rare in a high-gain tube amp)

They sound nothing like a triple recto and they have amazing cleans.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
^^
Mesa realy isn't an option lol unless we're talking about a roadster or if i come really lucky on Ebay with a Mark IV!
BTW the cleans are meant to be incredible lol

^
Yeah i think i may do that
i might ask my local Sound Control to get in a powerball and a framus cobra
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Definitely try out the amps before you buy them. I'd say go to London if possible and try out some of the amps in denmark street and sound control. They do have a lot of high end amps for you to try.

So far out of that list, I'd break it down to the Engl, Carvin ,Framus and Peavey.
Now the thing is, by waiting a bit more you could get into Mesa territory and thats well worth it in my opinion. You'd have an amp for life. So if possible try some Mesa's out as well, and then either go second hand or save and get brand new. A few months extra waiting would be well worth it.
Quote by vegetoe01
Definitely try out the amps before you buy them. I'd say go to London if possible and try out some of the amps in denmark street and sound control. They do have a lot of high end amps for you to try.

So far out of that list, I'd break it down to the Engl, Carvin ,Framus and Peavey.
Now the thing is, by waiting a bit more you could get into Mesa territory and thats well worth it in my opinion. You'd have an amp for life. So if possible try some Mesa's out as well, and then either go second hand or save and get brand new. A few months extra waiting would be well worth it.

by mesas i presume you mean the Mark IV?

can it do EVERYTHING from 'Teh Br00talz' to country clean excellently then?

i'm not sure i can do with parting with that much cash though, i'm off to university next year and after next march i'm starting to save so i probs wouldn't be able to get that much cash in so little time
as i said £1300 REALLY is my maximum

saying that i could get a mark IV on ebay for that probs
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by samtewari
by mesas i presume you mean the Mark IV?

can it do EVERYTHING from 'Teh Br00talz' to country clean excellently then?

i'm not sure i can do with parting with that much cash though, i'm off to university next year and after next march i'm starting to save so i probs wouldn't be able to get that much cash in so little time
as i said £1300 REALLY is my maximum

saying that i could get a mark IV on ebay for that probs

The Mark IV can do anything under the sun exceedingly well.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
In the US they range from $1100 to $1700 USD on eBay, if you could find one of those that would be willing to ship international you might find a really good deal.

Quote by TMVolta19
^ Maybe. But if not don't be surprised, as Mesa really overcharge over here TONS. Ridiculous pricing.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ Maybe. But if not don't be surprised, as Mesa really overcharge over here TONS. Ridiculous pricing.

We're talking used on ebay, not brand new.

Quote by TMVolta19
Important Message!

ok so we've all established that a Mesa Mark IV would be ideal, however, its out of my budget new so i'll keep an eye out for any deals in the US and on ebay etc.

Until the could we focus on amps i can actually afford? lol
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by samtewari
Important Message!

ok so we've all established that a Mesa Mark IV would be ideal, however, its out of my budget new so i'll keep an eye out for any deals in the US and on ebay etc.

Until the could we focus on amps i can actually afford? lol

i have a dsl50..didnt like it...5150..didnt like it...getting the carvin. its really miles ahead of the engls and vhts etc.
Quote by Hellhammerz
i have a dsl50..didnt like it...5150..didnt like it...getting the carvin. its really miles ahead of the engls and vhts etc.

The carvin is a great amp, but the VHT would kick its ass.

Quote by TMVolta19
oh yeah i should also add, a few days ago i bid £500 for a used but in fantastic condition peavey 5150 II which i kinda regret now

what are the chances of me gettin it considering its got 3 days to go and somebody else has bid £450 since i did?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by omarrodrigez
We're talking used on ebay, not brand new.

Well yeah, but I thought some people in the US who may know this could've taken the opportunity to charge outta the ass for shipping and make some more money.
Quote by MrCarrot
Well yeah, but I thought some people in the US who may know this could've taken the opportunity to charge outta the ass for shipping and make some more money.

Yeah, depends on who you're dealing with.

Quote by TMVolta19
Quote by MrCarrot

it can get super pricey shipping international. The USPS is the cheapest to ship overseas here, and it has to fit all kinds of criteria for size and weight, and will vary greatly in price and restrictions depending where it's going. I went to get a quote to ship a guitar to Australia, thru USPS, I had to get it under 42 inches long if I wanted to use regular international priority. No way I could get it to that size without using no packaging on the ends, which I would never ship. To send it using UPS or Fedex standard international was going to cost over $200 before customs or brokerage. I simply couldn't ship it there for a reasonable price. If you aren't a business, and don't have daily shipping rates, you get screwed trying to ship to certain countries. Don't always think it's the seller trying to make a buck. I've shipped a lot of stuff international, and it's a major hassle between all the paperwork needed, and the extra fees and regulations, not to mention the extra care/preparation needed for international packing.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 25, 2007,
so a Mark IV from the US is out of the question then?

i'll keep an eye out for one in the UK
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

I'm a massive ENGL fan but the Powerball just doesn't cut it for me, not for the price tag anyway. Look for another model of ENGL though and I'm pretty sure you'll fall in love.

I've never liked the voicing of Mesa's, although everyone else seems to be in love with them. So I think that might just be me that hears something everyone else doesn't or something

5150 (other models) - I've never been a fan of these amps, I don't know why. Think it's the "growly" tone, sounds too raw for me. Raw = muddy, to me at least.

Framus - Try one, NOW. My next hi-gain amp purchase will be one of these most definitely. Clear, articulate and bloody amazing.

Quote by Zakk_Wylde001

Framus - Try one, NOW. My next hi-gain amp purchase will be one of these most definitely. Clear, articulate and bloody amazing.

are you reffering to the cobra?

would the cobra be worth the extra £200 compared to the dragon?

its really between the framus cobra/dragon and the powerball for me
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by samtewari
are you reffering to the cobra?

would the cobra be worth the extra £200 compared to the dragon?

its really between the framus cobra/dragon and the powerball for me

Framus it is then.

I love my Fireball. I also loved the Blackmore and Invader when I tried those (at least, I think it was the Invader). The Powerball lacks something that I can't put my finger on. It sounds compressed, too compressed, but theres something more than that too. Try it though, you might love it.

I always thought, when spending upwards of a grand, £200 isn't much
You'll have to play both, side by side ideally, to get the feel and tone of each amp individually. I didn't know they were related (still don't believe it) when I played them because I got a totally different vibe off them. Cosmetically I preferred the Cobra but the tone I'm torn on. Try them out. If you can't, buy the Dragon
looks like the cobra's a good bet then
problem is, i can't find a place that stocks framus AND engl so i gotta problem there lol
still gonna try to get a used mark IV if possible

whats so good about the cobra? what makes it stand out from other amps?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by ever dying
How about a Laney?
They're pretty nice, and not really that expensive in the UK

i've never really considered laney

whats the best high gain model?
and any good clips i could listen to?

the thing is would it really compete with a framus or engl?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

soldano avenger =D (think thats whats its called) its basically a more punchy SLO100 =]

but it only has once channel LOL
just thought i'd point out that i managed to retract my bid for the 5150 II on ebay (thank god)

i'm 99% certain on the framus cobra, it just sounds amazing for everything and i think its worth saving up that bit more for
amazing cleans, crunch, high gain and everything in between
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

you have a pretty nice list there so far.

Brunetti xlr-evo would be sweet. Some ebay store was selling one for around £1000 (that's new, i.e. a shop which has an ebay store), i think? definitely worth a look, extremely versatile (more so than a powerball), can do br00talz, both brighter and darker. Badass amp. though a powerball might be slightly more br00talz if that's all you play.

koch powertone is probably worth a look too, though i haven't tried it. genz benz el-diablo would be worth a look too.

Cornford is worth a look too, though it might not get brootal enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you have a pretty nice list there so far.

Brunetti xlr-evo would be sweet. Some ebay store was selling one for around £1000 (that's new, i.e. a shop which has an ebay store), i think? definitely worth a look, extremely versatile (more so than a powerball), can do br00talz, both brighter and darker. Badass amp. though a powerball might be slightly more br00talz if that's all you play.

koch powertone is probably worth a look too, though i haven't tried it. genz benz el-diablo would be worth a look too.

Cornford is worth a look too, though it might not get brootal enough.

that brunetti sounds awesome from the SINGLE clip i found online
maybe worth a look but from what i've read the framus cobra kicks everythings ass in every department!

with your next suggestion i'm not sure if i'd want an amp that reminds me of male genitalia everytime i see it lol
seriously though i did see them on thomann, they sound alright from the clips on their page but its not quite that tone i'm looking for
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

How about a Diezel? or a bogner uberschall?
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by jerm__
How about a Diezel? or a bogner uberschall?

WAAAAAAAAAAAY out of my price range along with the mark IV lol
they're both touching the £1900 mark
i'd love to have one though!
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

i demo'd the 5150 III at long and mcquade (canadian music chain retail store)and even tho they're apparently being made by fender now, it was still very similar to the peavey 5150 series. the distortion is absolutely humongous. and the cleans were very usable.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by samtewari
that brunetti sounds awesome from the SINGLE clip i found online
maybe worth a look but from what i've read the framus cobra kicks everythings ass in every department!

with your next suggestion i'm not sure if i'd want an amp that reminds me of male genitalia everytime i see it lol
seriously though i did see them on thomann, they sound alright from the clips on their page but its not quite that tone i'm looking for

to be honest, once you hit that kind of money, it's preference. I haven't tried the cobra, but i'm sure it's a nice piece of kit- though I'm sure it's not everyone's favourite high gainer...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2