Ok, I've been practicing my scales via simi-legato (picking to start each string's run in a "box scale" of sorts.

I can't do it tension free for the most part near the 12th fret area, but the closer to the nut I get, the more I notice a tension.

This tension isn't that noticeable when I start playing the scale in those areas, and the longer I play the more it comes up, and the faster it comes. I also notice that on the return back, with the pull-offs, I tend to have much more tension.

When I go to correct any issues I find that could possibly cause it, such as the fingers just flying around instead of sticking close to the strings or what not, I find that doing so just causes more tension to build up... much more! I know any tension beyond what naturally occurs in the needed pressure to hold down the string is bad (small amount to begin with). So, in detail please, what can I actually do to relax the muscles while playing these box scale runs (and in general playing)?

(I've set the action quite low... as low as it goes without buzzing. I have gotten other guitars lower in the past, but this is as low as this one can go being a TOM bridge type.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Oct 25, 2007,
it sounds so stupid, and its the answer to most playing problems is to play it much slower than you are now. a lot of people, myself included, tend to want to play faster than we should at first. start off playing stupid slow, and concentrate on what your fingers, hand and arm are doing. playing it slower should relieve the tension because your not straining to play. when you get to the point of no tension, start to speed it up a little bit, always focusing on the whole picture. once you can play at the faster speed with no tension, speed it up again. repeat this process until your at your desired speed with no tension.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
That's just the thing, I'm already stupid slow with it... still there. I'm talking like 60bpm man, and slower.... much slower.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
then maybe the tension isnt bad, if you're hand is tensing up because your stretching your fingers across a few frets then thats normal. however, your fingers shouldn't be flying all over the place either, you need to keep them as close to fret board as possible
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Yea, that's a given... heh. One thing that's taking some time to learn. But thanks, so some tension will happen when streaching like that, ok. It's doing the C major scale at the 3rd fret and at the open position. (and working towards the 12th).

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I wish there was some way to know if the tension is the "bad" sort of tension (I know that anything beyond what is needed to press lightly on the strings to get it to the fret is bad, but You know what mean ), or the "better" form of tension... Is there a test I can try (or several?)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!