let me start by saying i am a fan of these instruments, they're cheap as hell but the sound is wonderful, if limited.

my question is this, what is the difference between the danelectros around these days:

vs. the original instruments made in the 50s/60s

were they the same type of affordable but quality instruments back then, or were they more expensive/better with the reissues not coming close to the original quality?

i guess what i'm really asking is, was jimmy page playing a $250 guitar back then?

thanks
drape yourself in greenery, become part of the scenery
-British Sea Power
I think they were reasonably cheap even back then. I know that Jimmy made his guitar out of various parts of other danelectros to make it as good quality as he could. I think it was 2 different danelectros to start with.

I would really like to buy one of the reissue ones too. But I'm afraid as they're so cheap they won't work as my first lead guitar. Also I hear they are really jangly and good for country music or slide guitar. Also not something I want in my main guitar that I'm using for everything. I Guess I can buy one and find out as they're so cheap though =)
I am getting a new guitar soon but the problem is its 21 fret and single coiled pick ups i am looking for something diffrent i own a Encore strat so you know.
Quote by forwhomthebells
I am getting a new guitar soon but the problem is its 21 fret and single coiled pick ups i am looking for something diffrent i own a Encore strat so you know.

It won't sound anything like a strat, believe me.
Quote by forwhomthebells

it also wont sound anything like an encore, which is a good thing!
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Quote by Here_is_no_why
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/59_DC

They were made out of plywood and such. I guess he was playing a cheaper guitar back then.

they are still made out of a ply of agathis and masonite (chipboard) i think, but that doesn't mean they are bad guitars.

the main differences are that the bridge on the old danos had a single chunk of rosewood for the saddle, and (i think) had stacked pots like the 1990s reissues. And of course the headstock was a slightly different shape, the modern headstock is based on a combination of the various styles of the past.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
In my opinion the old Dano's were cheap and unplayable. I was around when the originals were. I would suspect that the new ones are still cheap but improved playability. That's the way it usually works on reissues of old beginner guitars. Case in point Eastwood.
A shop here had one. It played really nice for the money, and had that classic rock sound. Thin body with easy neck access. The pickups were bright and punchy. The only bad spots were the tuners and the bridge. The tuners were your typical cheap economy type. I would advise putting on something else. The bridge didn't look too easy to adjust either, and the strings were a tad buzzy on the frets. Note this is an older model Dano reissue, and not the '59 you're looking at, but I would imagine they are similar. They also had another called the Hodad that was really nice and a solid body too. The other I can't be 100% sure on the body, but I would imagine at the price it was solid.
iv go a reissue danelectro

it's a pretty nice guitar, it's somewhat limited in it's sound but when you wanna play older music it's great. it tends to handle some distortions better than others so u gotta play aroudn with that a bit but's they are cheap and well worth the money
interesting!
drape yourself in greenery, become part of the scenery
-British Sea Power
If GC would've only stocked them in their brick-and-mortar stores, I would probably have one right now. I really didn't want to get a guitar without playing it first, though, so I was "stuck" with the Epiphone Dot, though I'm quite satisfied with that one.

Still badly want a Dano, though....
Quote by Riaghan
i guess what i'm really asking is, was jimmy page playing a $250 guitar back then?

Yup... Someone already mentioned it though, his wasn't right off the shelf, made from two guitars.

They make great slide guitars which is probably why he used it for In My Time of Dying. He must of either liked the tone or feel (probably a mix of both) because he used it for White Summer, and occasionally Kashmir as well
I been longing for a dano for some time now and i think that im soon gona be a de dano pro owner, im thinking...tangerine, is ther a better looking guitar?!
They may be made out of masonite but they actually sound great!! I quite like the "brittle" sound you get from them....but buying a Dano would be a little bit of a step down for me, considering I bought a Gibson Les Paul last week...

i play a Gibson and a Dano side by side.. O.o

dont diss Danos OR Gibsons or ill put you on my hitlist with my new chocolate my sister gave me two seconds ago
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
i play a Gibson and a Dano side by side.. O.o

dont diss Danos OR Gibsons or ill put you on my hitlist with my new chocolate my sister gave me two seconds ago

Why would I diss a Gibson?

But seriously, I think a Dano DC59 would be an interesting guitar - I'm interested in teaching myself slide, and I'd like to have a specific guitar just for that - ya know, for certain open tunings and all...
I might still pick one of these up. I am sure that it is a crap set up out of the gate. But with a proper set up and a new bone nut it could be a sweet slide guitsar. And still kinda cheap.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
I want one for slide. I bet if it was setup well it would be a bitchin gutar.
I want one for slide. I bet if it was setup well it would be a bitchin gutar.
Here's the question - if Danos sound so good made from a man made "wood", imagine what they'd be like with an alder or maple body
everyone who is saying about dodgy factory setup: no. my danelectro 12-string was perfectly set up from the box. a lot of reviews on the net also said that the factory setup is good (i know you can't always trust the reviews, but from my little experience of danos, its true).
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
well jimmy page doesn't come free with the new ones, i don't think. don't quote me though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?